What’s Key’s biggest asset as a HC to this point?

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
His unabashed, pure love and passion for Georgia Tech. I know a lot of my fellow board members think that being a former Georgia Tech player is a liability to being our head coach and not an asset, but I firmly believe that Tech is such a unique experience and has such a great football history that a Tech man, who knows that and embraces that, brings so much added value to the Head Coaching position at Tech.

Go Jackets!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I am not either but I would hope my coworkers, family, spouse and dog would have more to say about me other than " at least he ain't MoBS". I think my work is acceptable, my manners are okay and personal hygiene is at least at minimally acceptable standards (I think.) ;)
Your family may have higher standards for you than that but, then again, my spouse has settled for a lot over the years.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Except that no one did that.
Except that is actually what happened.

Thread topic: “What is Brent Key’s biggest asset…”

Answer given: “Luck”

There has been a lot of bickering in circles since then, but yes, that absolutely happened and started it all.

Just thought I’d make that point of clarification.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
His unabashed, pure love and passion for Georgia Tech. I know a lot of my fellow board members think that being a former Georgia Tech player is a liability to being our head coach and not an asset, but I firmly believe that Tech is such a unique experience and has such a great football history that a Tech man, who knows that and embraces that, brings so much added value to the Head Coaching position at Tech.

Go Jackets!
I concur!

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
I believe one of Key's strongest assets is his ability to organize and manage practice. I always watch the ACC Network visit to GT during fall practice. During the last fall practice of TFG, I mostly saw players standing around tossing the ball to each other.

During the ACC visit this past season, the players were constantly in motion and at full speed! Pretty sure he is following the example of O'Leary and possibly Saban in how to run practice. Since Key was promoted, we always hear about scrimmaging at full speed, Good on Good, and simulating game conditions.

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
CBK’s most important attribute is personal authenticity.

Combine that with his great love for GT, and you have a tremendously effective leader. A leader of quality will draw the best from his people and will draw good people to support him. We may be disadvantaged in some aspects of CFB - academic requirements and NIL come to mind - but we are second to none in our HC’s capacity to lead his program.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Angel Cabrera is Brent Key's best asset.
Bumping this because you guys are still looking past what will make this tenure different than any other in GT history. There is finally alignment from Coach to AD to President. The Hill is not only getting out of the way, they're supporting athletics. That's absolutely HUGE. Came close during the Crecine tenure, but personalities caused that to blow up. There's no such problem now.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Bumping this because you guys are still looking past what will make this tenure different than any other in GT history. There is finally alignment from Coach to AD to President. The Hill is not only getting out of the way, they're supporting athletics. That's absolutely HUGE. Came close during the Crecine tenure, but personalities caused that to blow up. There's no such problem now.
Can u believe that Gt and Gtaa worked w city of Atl to have a pregame
"Open to public Helluva block party on North Ave WITH LUDICROUS singing."

Sorry guys, but we have a bit of an elitism reputation to overcome if we want new side walk fans .
In Angel ( and the guy who helped him vet Batt) we trust.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

Sorry guys, but we have a bit of an elitism reputation to overcome if we want new side walk fans .
I’m down with this 💯 and I’m not a regular consumer of hip hop.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

it helps that the mayor is an alumnus.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
it helps that the mayor is an alumnus.
That would get off his *** to help gt ATHLETICS He sees a city that would benefit from Gt athletics being relevant and welcoming to our city.

He also had dinner w DS, Batt and Angel during recruiting.

The former was tech man who hired a tech ad who hired a bs guy who said he was a tech man (w a crazy contract), and quickly hired gt coaches w little experience. . DID prez stay involved in process of fixing gtaa? He did the stay in office and watch gtaa head towards bankruptcy . The guy was once Prez of NCAA board of Governors.

Techastrophe

Georgia Tech Fan
Sorry if it sounds like a motivational speaker, but I would say Trust. Coaching staff and athletes trust him. J Batt trusts him. Fans and donors trust him. Hyundai trusts him. He started with trust from his experience as a GT student athlete and prior coaching work. He was given some trust as interim HC and earned more. He was given some trust when hired by J Batt and earned more. The trust from the student athletes helped buy trust from the administration and vice versa. He has required athletes and coaches to maintain his trust. He has made good choices in which athletes and coaches to trust. And he has, for the most part, recognized when he was exhausting the trust placed in him and has made corrections.
One of his predecessors (couldn't say who) also had credibility coming in, had passion for the program, sound knowledge (I'm told) of the game, but pissed away the trust from the team, the Institute, the fans, etc. and he embarrassed everyone.

Last edited:

30coupe

Georgia Tech Fan
BEEKEEPER

Attachments

• GCAFerzX0Ack3NP.jpg
    GCAFerzX0Ack3NP.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 28

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
What is your agenda here? If you just keep repeating the same thing over and over it gets kind of boring.

Please list what you think Key’s greatest assets are as a coach. We all get it that you think he is lucky but what else? Go ahead and put luck at the top of your list but please mention 3 or 4 other things in order of importance.
Don’t feed the troll. Ignore is your friend.