Western Carolina

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
woodshed.jpeg

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Good series. We did exactly what we needed to do and left nothing to chance. Excellent start from Roedig today. He will be the ace next year.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Good series. We did exactly what we needed to do and left nothing to chance. Excellent start from Roedig today. He will be the ace next year.
Picking nits... but DO NOT get ahead 0-2 on leadoff batter in any inning & then hit him in head.... or any part of his body.

Go Jackets. Duke is better than the Catamounts!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Picking nits... but DO NOT get ahead 0-2 on leadoff batter in any inning & then hit him in head.... or any part of his body.

Go Jackets. Duke is better than the Catamounts!

Winning 55 to 8 isn't too bad. At least 1 of the 8 was unearned.:mad: I think we got enough batting practice in this weekend .......

Hopefully get a good week of practice in to go up to Duke (34 rpi) on Thursday for the Friday series. Duke has a Wednesday game versus Liberty.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Duke worries me. X would have been GREAT at Duke. Their ballpark is huge and he throws a ton of fly balls, some of which sail out of smaller ballparks. Roedig has impressed me against both Clemson and (yawn) Western Carolina. But Duke games may well be 3-2 type games, and many on here expect us to score tons of runs no matter what, and I just don't see it. But, Duke will be a good gauge...I am guessing those games will be like tournament games....good opposing pitching, solid D, etc. If we can win that series I will be mightily impressed. I am expecting to lose it 1 game to 2.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Duke worries me. X would have been GREAT at Duke. Their ballpark is huge and he throws a ton of fly balls, some of which sail out of smaller ballparks. Roedig has impressed me against both Clemson and (yawn) Western Carolina. But Duke games may well be 3-2 type games, and many on here expect us to score tons of runs no matter what, and I just don't see it. But, Duke will be a good gauge...I am guessing those games will be like tournament games....good opposing pitching, solid D, etc. If we can win that series I will be mightily impressed. I am expecting to lose it 1 game to 2.
Are you talking about Duke's on campus field? This series is at the Durham Bulls facility (same as ACCT). Has a Fenway-esk... "blue" monster in left. I don't think that park plays big.

Finally get the sweep monkey off our back today and it feels good. Next up a road series where we need to take at least 2 to stay on track for a national seed. 33-14 feels so nice after years of underachievement.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Are you talking about Duke's on campus field? This series is at the Durham Bulls facility (same as ACCT). Has a Fenway-esk... "blue" monster in left. I don't think that park plays big.
Yeah, I was referring to Duke’s home field.....didn’t know it was at Bulls Stadium

BonafideJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah, I was referring to Duke’s home field.....didn’t know it was at Bulls Stadium

Isn't it the Durham Bulls' park that has that wacky LCD/LED outfield wall? Where the whole wall from the left field monster to the right field foul pole is a ribbon board advertisement? I saw clips where the whole thing was lit up white during a night game, looked absolutely ridiculous. Not sure how they get away with that, must be terrible for the batter, particularly at night.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

I see what you are doing again with expectations.

I watched the scores last night as @Duke lost 5-3 in the ninth with VCU. They won the first one 2-1. Again, Duke has Liberty on Wednesday and a good, but not great / elite pitching staff like they did to start the year. Injuries suck for everyone.

I think we'll get 5-8 runs a game, so more some less, since we walk and play small ball* when we need to. I expect us to win the series 2-1. Sweep an ACC team on the road? Now that's as crazy talk as us having an 8 rpi. Crazy thing - the two teams in front of us, L'Ville and ugag, we have beaten.

First a Western related question. When is the last time we won a three game series by 47 runs (=55-8)? I have been doing the opening blog for the weekend series since about the fourth week of the year. @FredJacket did it last week. I'll stay quiet:dead:

* Did anyone else love the Waddell lead off bunt on a 1-0 count? Didn't show bunt the first pitch. Waddell and Guldberg can bunt for singles as well or better than most players hit for singles. F.A.S.T.

Last edited:

THWG

Helluva Engineer
* Did anyone else love the Waddell lead off bunt on a 1-0 count? Didn't show bunt the first pitch. Waddell and Guldberg can bunt for singles as well or better than most players hit for singles. F.A.S.T.
This might be the fastest team that Hall has had. Everyone can really run except for English and McCann.