Wesley Wells

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Wells is from a Tech family, isn't he? I doubt we would lose him to transfer. I agree that he deserves a scholarship, but I will let the staff decide when to give him one and trust CGC's judgment. There are a lot of needs on this roster and recruiting the rest of the 2019 class is the current focus. Once we get the class signed and see what happens with attrition, hopefully there will be a scholly for Wells.

I think he will ultimately get a scholarship. I hope so. Another reason for giving him one is that it is good policy to reward a player who has earned a scholarship by giving him one, thus encouraging other walk-ons to try to get one, themselves. And it would send the wrong message to them to deny a deserving player a scholarship just because one thinks he will stay with the program, anyway.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I think he will ultimately get a scholarship. I hope so. Another reason for giving him one is that it is good policy to reward a player who has earned a scholarship by giving him one, thus encouraging other walk-ons to try to get one, themselves. And it would send the wrong message to them to deny a deserving player a scholarship just because one thinks he will stay with the program, anyway.

This. Deciding to give or not give a scholarship based on whether we think he will leave is short-sighted. It’s also doing what someone thinks is best for the team...but in the *short term*.

What’s always more important to me is what’s right and wrong by the student. I don’t care if the kid ‘needs’ the scholarship or not - as an individual, he sure as hell has earned it. *He* wasn’t the one who made the mistake of recruiting 2 other kickers to be on scholarship - the organization did. It goes against everything I know and love about GT football to hold him responsible for previous recruiting mistakes. He showed up, did the job better than others, and in my mind (as a proven commodity who has demonstrated his commitment to the institute and team) has earned it.

For those who think we should save that scholarship for someone the team ‘needs more’ in the wake of the coaching transition, do you think we should have pulled Jaylend Ratliffe’s scholarship?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I’m saying it would be nice to have a guy that could do both. Kickoffs have been a big problem for all non butker years. Ideally we wouldn’t have a kickoff man on school, a kicker, and a kicker who doesn’t play
I agree, I was just saying he has a good leg. I wouldn’t mind having someone else for kickoffs at all.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

Coach Collins is definitely not opposed to rewarding walkons. There is a video of him presenting one of Temple's walkons with a scholly in the lockerroom. He made it a total surprise and a huge deal. Was a great moment for him.

I want Wells to get one. I just think we probably wait. We always lose one or two unexpectedly.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
For those who think we should save that scholarship for someone the team ‘needs more’ in the wake of the coaching transition, do you think we should have pulled Jaylend Ratliffe’s scholarship?

The Ratliffe situation is completely different. He was already offered a scholarship before the accident and we held up our commitment. Also, IIRC, his scholarship did not go against our numbers. I highly doubt that if we were just recruiting him and he had the injury before an offer that we would have still given him a scholarship.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah I'm not sure how this all works either. What does scholarship pay for exactly? Tuition, room & board, meal plan, books, etc? And as related to football, if you're on the team, what's the difference between scholarship and non-scholarship? For example, for non-scholarships, are all football related expenses covered, including jersey, training gear, expenses during away games, etc?

What if Wells comes from a wealthy family and they really don't need the financial help?

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Except you have no clue whether he and his family have been asked about it to begin with.
So, yes it does matter.

"Hey, I've got this scholarship here. One that would take care of all of your son's college expenses. Was thinking about giving it to Wesley, but I've heard that you've made good choices and work hard and may not necessarily "need" it, so I was thinking I'd give it to someone else. That ok with you?"

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
"Hey, I've got this scholarship here. One that would take care of all of your son's college expenses. Was thinking about giving it to Wesley, but I've heard that you've made good choices and work hard and may not necessarily "need" it, so I was thinking I'd give it to someone else. That ok with you?"

My answer would be yes. Do you disagree?

Disclaimer: We still gotta offer Wells the scholly or the whole system is a lie.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
Because King is a 19 year old student-athlete who made a commitment to the institution. As a former athlete, I saw teammates have scholarships pulled, and I saw the effect it had on them and their families.

It sickens me when a “fan” utilizes an anonymous message board to question why a 19 year old is having his tuition covered. F.u.c.k. you. Don’t give me this, “It’s a business,” **** either; until we start paying the players, all of the scholarships should be four year guarantees.

You’re entitled to your feelings. I’m sorry that it ruffles your feathers so much to get that upset. I guess your the only person who played college athletics correct? I also played college athletics and played D1 baseball and still only got a partial scholarship because I was in a non-revenue sport. I was appreciative of any help I was given but didn’t feel entitled to it. But I know you being a “former athlete” only you would know about this stuff right? I committed to a school and the school also very apparent to us every year that scholarships were not 4 year guaranteed.

My point was that what other team has not one, but multiple kickers on scholarship, one of which isn’t kicking for us since he isn’t kicking FGs or kickoffs. A positional player is different because Even if they aren’t in the 2-deep they are grinding on the scout team getting busted by the starts on a daily basis. Kickers know that scholarships are not given out easily to that position, which is why most of them are a walk on before getting awarded a scholarship. I think it’s a fair question why we would have multiple kickers on scholarship when 1 isn’t even playing. But again, you are entitled to your feelings.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
My answer would be yes. Do you disagree?

Disclaimer: We still gotta offer Wells the scholly or the whole system is a lie.

I'm not a fan of punishing folks for making good choices and working hard, resulting in the accumulation of some money. Some call it "fortunate". I think that's bs.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
You’re entitled to your feelings. I’m sorry that it ruffles your feathers so much to get that upset. I guess your the only person who played college athletics correct? I also played college athletics and played D1 baseball and still only got a partial scholarship because I was in a non-revenue sport. I was appreciative of any help I was given but didn’t feel entitled to it. But I know you being a “former athlete” only you would know about this stuff right? I committed to a school and the school also very apparent to us every year that scholarships were not 4 year guaranteed.

My point was that what other team has not one, but multiple kickers on scholarship, one of which isn’t kicking for us since he isn’t kicking FGs or kickoffs. A positional player is different because Even if they aren’t in the 2-deep they are grinding on the scout team getting busted by the starts on a daily basis. Kickers know that scholarships are not given out easily to that position, which is why most of them are a walk on before getting awarded a scholarship. I think it’s a fair question why we would have multiple kickers on scholarship when 1 isn’t even playing. But again, you are entitled to your feelings.

It's hardly Wells fault that he beat out a kicker who has a scholarship, so whether we have multiple kickers already on scholarship is irrelevant. He earned one, so he should be offered one. As for pulling scholarships, it's never happened here and it won't happen here, so it's a moot point. As it should be.

Go4Tech

Jolly Good Fellow
Do Walk-ons or PWOs get access to the same tutoring services that Scholarship members receive?

Same question about Dining Table and Nutrition Services? Would anticipate that there is bill for this that is over and above the standard "dining facility" charge a normal enrollee pays.

Same question for the simple stipend that are now allocated for the football team?

Would believe that any member of an athletic team should get preference in class selection / time.

Believe that the non-scholarship athletes have to pay for their own books and lab fees.

Really attempting to understand the fine details of Scholarship versus Walk-on or PWO.

Thanks in advance for any clarification that can be provided.

Animal02

Banned
Nice try, but you danced around the point. YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHETHER IT HAS BEEN DISCUSSED WITH HE AND HIS FAMILY.