Wesley Wells

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Walk-on...2018 Field Goals 9/9 (long 48 yards)...2018 PAT's 39/39

Starting ahead of one scholarship kicker.
Questions: Shouldn't he get a scholarship? Hasn't he earned one? Are we saving one for him? Are the odds high that there will be one available? What if attrition is less than expected?

I guess my main question is, how does this work? Will we sign just the number that matches the number of scholarships available (which is at this moment, two, if I understand it correctly)? Then, with attrition, will scholarships be awarded to deserving walk-ons? Will we accept more LOI's than scholarships, depending on expected attrition? If so, what if there's no attrition (I know we expect it, but what if there are none, or less than expected)?

Another question: We have all these offers, but only two scholarships (I think) to give at this moment. Is it first-come, first-served?

Pardon my dumb questions, but I've always been a little confused about how all this works.

Last edited:

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer
He’d probably be the first kid to get one for the year, assuming one comes available... but I seriously don’t think the new staff will feel obligated to hold one for him.

The kid is probably on Hope or something along those lines. There’s a lot we don’t know, and shouldn’t assume.

I certainly wouldn’t be upset if the kid gets put on scholarship... but I wouldn’t hold one for him before signing day, that’s for sure

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
We will definitely sign more than 1.
Collins says we know how many we can sign, which tells me he is pretty much aware of roughly how many will leave. I would guess around 5. Whether one will be left for Wells, I dunno.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Questions: Shouldn't he get a scholarship? Hasn't he earned one? Are we saving one for him? Are the odds high that there will be one available? What if attrition is less than expected?

Only the coach can answer any of those.

The thing to consider is that while he hit everything he was asked to, he wasn't asked to do much. Only 9 FGs and only one over 45. He was used very little and that makes it hard to really judge. The other thing is that often you will hear of senior walkons getting the remaining scholarships because it's a one year thing and it has minimal, if any, opportunity cost. In Well's case he's a rising soph so giving him a scholarship ties it up for 3 years and so that limits recruiting to some degree (not massive but more so than a senior walk on would). If it were me I'd wait and see how he does in practice personally and in the games next year where I imagine he'll get a heavier workload.

Deleted member 2897

Fun fact:

Alex Kessman (Pitt) got All ACC 2nd team:
FG: 13/17 (76%)
PATA: 40/43
Total Kicks: 53/60

Wesley Wells (Georgia Tech) - no recognition:
FG: 9/9 (100%)
PAT: 39/39
Total Kicks: 48/48

Especially given Wesley Wells didn't play in the first 3 games, his stats only include 9 games. Who with a straight face thinks 53/60 is better than 48/48? Alex Kessman had 5 out of 12 more kicks - that's awful for a kicker. Jiminy Christmas.

Side note, Greg Huegel (Clemson) got 3rd team All ACC on 11/16 FG (69%)

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Only the coach can answer any of those.

The thing to consider is that while he hit everything he was asked to, he wasn't asked to do much. Only 9 FGs and only one over 45. He was used very little and that makes it hard to really judge. The other thing is that often you will hear of senior walkons getting the remaining scholarships because it's a one year thing and it has minimal, if any, opportunity cost. In Well's case he's a rising soph so giving him a scholarship ties it up for 3 years and so that limits recruiting to some degree (not massive but more so than a senior walk on would). If it were me I'd wait and see how he does in practice personally and in the games next year where I imagine he'll get a heavier workload.

That's reasonable. I do think Wells deserves one, but with so many needs, I could understand taking a wait and see approach, particilarly if King remains on scholarship.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Wells should be on scholly NOW! I thought what k smart did to their kicker was bush league. With the guys leaving early because of graduation and We just had two guys that were committed back out there is no reason he should not be on Sholly. If he isn’t on one in a couple weeks that is bs bush league move.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
I've a feeling this is not the old regime where the walk-on kicker gets the scholarship just because it wouldn't be "right" if he didn't. This will make some uncomfortable and offend moral sensibilities, no doubt.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
He’s accurate but doesn’t have a great leg. I imagine he’ll get the job is he wins it out of camp; don’t be surprised if they bring in some other guys to compete

TarTriton

Georgia Tech Fan
He’d probably be the first kid to get one for the year, assuming one comes available... but I seriously don’t think the new staff will feel obligated to hold one for him.

The kid is probably on Hope or something along those lines. There’s a lot we don’t know, and shouldn’t assume.

I certainly wouldn’t be upset if the kid gets put on scholarship... but I wouldn’t hold one for him before signing day, that’s for sure
He is on hope.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Walk-on...2018 Field Goals 9/9 (long 48 yards)...2018 PAT's 39/39

Starting ahead of one scholarship kicker.

I guess my main question is, how does this work? Will we sign just the number that matches the number of scholarships available (which is at this moment, two, if I understand it correctly)? Then, with attrition, will scholarships be awarded to deserving walk-ons? Will we accept more LOI's than scholarships, depending on expected attrition? If so, what if there's no attrition (I know we expect it, but what if there are none, or less than expected)?

Another question: We have all these offers, but only two scholarships (I think) to give at this moment. Is it first-come, first-served?

Pardon my dumb questions, but I've always been a little confused about how all this works.
I think Wesley will have a great 2019 season and possibly be All-ACC. I hope Geoff Collins will give him a scholarship because he really deserves one.

white coffey

Georgia Tech Fan
Sorry, but some of these comments are short sighted. Do we not know by now how important a good kicker is? Anybody remember the Tennessee game last year? A chip shot and Tech wins. Anybody remember UVA this year? Without Wells, we likely lose! Anybody watch the Quicklane Bowl? Wells, a true freshman, hit a 40+ yarder when the rest of the team didn’t even get off the bus. The dude was 100%.

We have a chance to lock in a reliable FG kicker for the next three years, and it’s a debate whether we scholly him or not? It’s ridiculous that’s it’s even up for debate. Of course he deserves a scholarship. Should have already happened.

Just my 2 cents.

WC

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Sorry, but some of these comments are short sighted. Do we not know by now how important a good kicker is? Anybody remember the Tennessee game last year? A chip shot and Tech wins. Anybody remember UVA this year? Without Wells, we likely lose! Anybody watch the Quicklane Bowl? Wells, a true freshman, hit a 40+ yarder when the rest of the team didn’t even get off the bus. The dude was 100%.

We have a chance to lock in a reliable FG kicker for the next three years, and it’s a debate whether we scholly him or not? It’s ridiculous that’s it’s even up for debate. Of course he deserves a scholarship. Should have already happened.

Just my 2 cents.

WC

+1,000,000

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck

Just my 2 cents.

WC

I’m all for giving wells a scholly, he earned it. But i’m Not typically a person to want to pull someone else’s scholarship, but why is King still on a scholarship if he’s now the back up kicker and not doing kick offs or FGs? I know it’s a **** move, but why would a back up kicker be on a scholarship in any other situation?

Scholarships are a year by year renenwal, and typically you don’t see this exercised except at factories processing kids, but I don’t see the point of King being on a scholarship if he isn’t even playing at this point.