Wesley Wells

I’m all for giving wells a scholly, he earned it. But i’m Not typically a person to want to pull someone else’s scholarship, but why is King still on a scholarship if he’s now the back up kicker and not doing kick offs or FGs? I know it’s a **** move, but why would a back up kicker be on a scholarship in any other situation?

Scholarships are a year by year renenwal, and typically you don’t see this exercised except at factories processing kids, but I don’t see the point of King being on a scholarship if he isn’t even playing at this point.
Tech has NEVER pulled a scholarship, and I hope we never will.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
If he has a big booming leg why isn’t he in kickoffs?
I’m talking about FG’s, and his leg was good for 50 plus yards as a true freshman. Are you going to say that’s not a strong leg? You gonna say Matt Bryant doesn’t have a good leg because he doesn’t do kick offs? Kick offs are way different than FG’s, and just because he may not have the kickoff part down from a technical standpoint doesn’t mean he doesn’t have a strong leg. Not having a strong leg, and not having the ability to do kick offs are two totally different things. I’ve played with kids who could kick 50 yarders but I never remember them kicking it out of the back of the end zone, steps are just different.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I've a feeling this is not the old regime where the walk-on kicker gets the scholarship just because it wouldn't be "right" if he didn't. This will make some uncomfortable and offend moral sensibilities, no doubt.

When he doesn’t get a scholly...transfers...and our kicking game goes to :poop: again.....that’s a huge fail and has nothing to do with moral sensibilities.

When he doesn’t get a scholly...transfers...and our kicking game goes to :poop: again.....that’s a huge fail and has nothing to do with moral sensibilities.
Since he came to Tech on a Hope scholarship (at least that's what I heard), he came for the education and was happy to walk on for the team. I don't think he will be leaving but I DO think he should be awarded an athletic scholarship. That scholarship covers things that Hope does not cover, and he deserves it.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Since he came to Tech on a Hope scholarship (at least that's what I heard), he came for the education and was happy to walk on for the team. I don't think he will be leaving but I DO think he should be awarded an athletic scholarship. That scholarship covers things that Hope does not cover, and he deserves it.

Hope doesn’t cover all the costs a full ride does. It’s deserved.

Edit: he also walked on for a chance to compete. He did that and has won hands down. Not rewarding that could cause him to leave. Maybe it won’t matter to him or his family and they are happy to stay pfo....If not certain of that....give up the scholly to him.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
Two things: Hands down if anyone deserves a scholly Wells does. Not remotely debatable. Hit all of his kicks as a freshman is only going to get stronger. It's criminal he wasn't all ACC.

Second thing: I know we have this new super duper recruiting staff, but when in the history of GT have we ever landed all of our recruiting targets and not had 1 or 2 scholly's available? And when have we not had somebody fail out or transfer?

I'd definitely give a proven commodity kicker a scholly over a late 2 or 3 star "athlete" we're just trying to flesh out a class with.

Animal02

Banned
Does he need it though, does anyone know if he and his parents have been asked? Even though the Hope doesn't cover everything, maybe his parents look at it a sort of donation. Just saying.

So many people on here make too many assumptions and jump to quick conclusions.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
Does he need it though, does anyone know if he and his parents have been asked? Even though the Hope doesn't cover everything, maybe his parents look at it a sort of donation. Just saying.

So many people on here make too many assumptions and jump to quick conclusions.
Agree. Hopefully there has been a discussion with him regarding a scholarship. He may also have other academic scholarships we're not aware of to cover what Hope doesn't.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
I think he deserves one and hopefully gets one, but I doubt the staff is going to hold one for him. CGC has honored the offers that were given out to the previous commits and most of them signed in December. The problem with that is they were all recruited for different offensive and defensive schemes. While many of them will be able to find places in the new schemes, CGC still needs to go out and fill the gaps that are left from the transition to be sure we are set up to succeed from day 1. From what I have gathered from him he is going after the best guys he can but will not just throw an offer out to someone just to fill the gap. My guess is that when all the dust settles there will still be at least one spot available in the Summer (or start to Fall) and that will go to Wells.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I've a feeling this is not the old regime where the walk-on kicker gets the scholarship just because it wouldn't be "right" if he didn't. This will make some uncomfortable and offend moral sensibilities, no doubt.

Yes, things that are not "right" make me uncomfortable and offend my moral sensibilities. Wells should be offered a scholarship precisely because it is "right".

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m talking about FG’s, and his leg was good for 50 plus yards as a true freshman. Are you going to say that’s not a strong leg? You gonna say Matt Bryant doesn’t have a good leg because he doesn’t do kick offs? Kick offs are way different than FG’s, and just because he may not have the kickoff part down from a technical standpoint doesn’t mean he doesn’t have a strong leg. Not having a strong leg, and not having the ability to do kick offs are two totally different things. I’ve played with kids who could kick 50 yarders but I never remember them kicking it out of the back of the end zone, steps are just different.

I’m saying it would be nice to have a guy that could do both. Kickoffs have been a big problem for all non butker years. Ideally we wouldn’t have a kickoff man on school, a kicker, and a kicker who doesn’t play

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I’m saying it would be nice to have a guy that could do both. Kickoffs have been a big problem for all non butker years. Ideally we wouldn’t have a kickoff man on school, a kicker, and a kicker who doesn’t play

It’s way too early to stipulate he won’t be capable of doing both. Kickers improve. Even Buttkicker did.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
As a walk-on, there is a chance Wells could transfer and immediately be eligible to play for another school. It depends on the nature of his admission to Tech.

There are reasons to provide a scholarship beyond “moral sensibilities.” If you weren’t so worried about assigning intent to others, you would be able to fully understand the variables.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
As a walk-on, there is a chance Wells could transfer and immediately be eligible to play for another school. It depends on the nature of his admission to Tech.

There are reasons to provide a scholarship beyond “moral sensibilities.” If you weren’t so worried about assigning intent to others, you would be able to fully understand the variables.

I don't know about "assigning intent", but Wells has earned a scholarship and since you bring up another "variable", yes, we'd be wise to give it to him before he transfers. I only mentioned "moral sensibilities" because the concept was brought up by the poster I was answering.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m all for giving wells a scholly, he earned it. But i’m Not typically a person to want to pull someone else’s scholarship, but why is King still on a scholarship if he’s now the back up kicker and not doing kick offs or FGs? I know it’s a **** move, but why would a back up kicker be on a scholarship in any other situation?

Scholarships are a year by year renenwal, and typically you don’t see this exercised except at factories processing kids, but I don’t see the point of King being on a scholarship if he isn’t even playing at this point.
Because King is a 19 year old student-athlete who made a commitment to the institution. As a former athlete, I saw teammates have scholarships pulled, and I saw the effect it had on them and their families.

It sickens me when a “fan” utilizes an anonymous message board to question why a 19 year old is having his tuition covered. F.u.c.k. you. Don’t give me this, “It’s a business,” **** either; until we start paying the players, all of the scholarships should be four year guarantees.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Wells is from a Tech family, isn't he? I doubt we would lose him to transfer. I agree that he deserves a scholarship, but I will let the staff decide when to give him one and trust CGC's judgment. There are a lot of needs on this roster and recruiting the rest of the 2019 class is the current focus. Once we get the class signed and see what happens with attrition, hopefully there will be a scholly for Wells.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Wells is from a Tech family, isn't he? I doubt we would lose him to transfer. I agree that he deserves a scholarship, but I will let the staff decide when to give him one and trust CGC's judgment. There are a lot of needs on this roster and recruiting the rest of the 2019 class is the current focus. Once we get the class signed and see what happens with attrition, hopefully there will be a scholly for Wells.

Wells is probably more valuable than any new player Tech signs this year.