We're the most liked school in the ACC

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah it sucks now, I can only imagine in the 1950's how bad it would have been. When you go through that state you can tell it is the poorest in the Union.
yeah i was driving through there once and got off to get something to eat and drove through the mcdonalds parking lot and got right back on the interstate and got food later

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
yeah i was driving through there once and got off to get something to eat and drove through the mcdonalds parking lot and got right back on the interstate and got food later

All this about Mississippi is true but some of the nicest, hardest working people I have ever known came from the Magnolia State. Even Dodd for all his talk was candid in saying that during his time Mississippi put out some of the best talent in the country. He said (paraphrasing here) "I never once got a bad boy out of Mississippi. They were good players with tremendous work ethic." Ole Miss came within an eyelash of winning the national championship in 1962. Mississippi State? Well, they got the cow bells I will give them that.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
All this about Mississippi is true but some of the nicest, hardest working people I have ever known came from the Magnolia State. Even Dodd for all his talk was candid in saying that during his time Mississippi put out some of the best talent in the country. He said (paraphrasing here) "I never once got a bad boy out of Mississippi. They were good players with tremendous work ethic." Ole Miss came within an eyelash of winning the national championship in 1962. Mississippi State? Well, they got the cow bells I will give them that.

people may be great, doesnt change the fact the state sucks

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
people may be great, doesnt change the fact the state sucks
A matter of perspective I suppose. I personally do not care for Illinois, California, or New York. If the state "sucks" why is Illinois on the verge of bankruptcy and Mississippi which is far poorer is not?

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
FWIW on reddit, GT has one of the largest online fanbases (we also have the largest school specific subreddit of all schools, /r/gatech, i believe) which makes GT way more popular due to a generally larger appearence. Almost everywhere outside of reddit, most people hate GT fans for being whiny and caring too much about COFH, or just don't care about GT fans at all. But because reddit loves the option and GT is one of largest school presences there, it makes GT look disproportionately good. I know polls in the past (cant find them now) came out as to if people liked, hated, or felt neutral about schools, and GT and stanford were two of the highest in terms of oppinion just because people didn't like or hate them, just felt generally neutral towards them. That might play into effect here, where people are way more passionate about hating other schools than actually liking GT.
As for wake forest, there is only like 2 or 3 wake fans on the website, so take their opinion with a grain of salt.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
FWIW on reddit, GT has one of the largest online fanbases (we also have the largest school specific subreddit of all schools, /r/gatech, i believe) which makes GT way more popular due to a generally larger appearence. Almost everywhere outside of reddit, most people hate GT fans for being whiny and caring too much about COFH, or just don't care about GT fans at all. But because reddit loves the option and GT is one of largest school presences there, it makes GT look disproportionately good. I know polls in the past (cant find them now) came out as to if people liked, hated, or felt neutral about schools, and GT and stanford were two of the highest in terms of oppinion just because people didn't like or hate them, just felt generally neutral towards them. That might play into effect here, where people are way more passionate about hating other schools than actually liking GT.
As for wake forest, there is only like 2 or 3 wake fans on the website, so take their opinion with a grain of salt.
This is true. We are the 25th most represented fan base on /r/cfb as of their last flair census I believe so we are definitely over represented relative to reality

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I live in Alabama, all of the fans here love GT as like a pet, second school. They pretty much all wish GT was still in the SEC.

I'm from Alabama and several of my in-laws are Bama Boosters. This is correct. They all uniformly admire Tech as a school, the quality of student athlete and holy cow ... that we can still compete with the best of them.

I miss the Tech-Bama series. Those were fun!

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
When looking at Dodd's statements, you have to realize that as part of his compensation, he got a portion of the gate for home games. He had financial incentive to play as many games at home as possible.

This is also why he didn't give tickets to the students. Those were tickets that could be sold. Tech was the only game in town.

I read his book on coaching and he argued that the head coach has a duty to put out a quality, winning team ... because his paycheck does depend on it.