We're the most liked school in the ACC

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Why are we liked so much? Others have stated it already but I'll reiterate. We are the mutts biggest rival unless on a 4 game or more losing streak to them. And damn near everyone hates the obnoxious mutts...see UF, UT, Aubie, Vandy, USC.....
Knowing that subreddit, they like us so much because they love the option. For all the talk of branding, GT is actually just about as synonymous with the flexbone option offense as Navy. Plus our fans are generally likable. Hence why Miami is the most hated. Oh, and reddit users in general are STEM people.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
My experience with fans of other schools is they would rather Tech win than uga, some of it I believe is because Tech is usually the underdog and some of it because they absolutely loathe uga ( mostly fans of other SEC schools, but surprisingly every Michigan fan I have ever met hates them too, don't know why.). Probably the only exception is Va Tech, for some reason Hokie fans are obsessed with Ga. Tech.

I don't know about Michigan and Virginia Tech fans but from years of going to Florida games with a friend I can tell you that those Gators just can't stand UGA. One of those things. The younger generation generally detests FSU more but the older ones harbor pretty intense feelings about UGA from all those years of frustration visited upon the Gators by Vince Dooly. Can't say I blame them. Imagine being number 1 in the country for the first time ever with all the hoopla of the "Great Wall of Florida" Kerwin Bell at quarterback, loads of talent on defense, great running backs like John L Williams and losing after one week to Georgia on three long runs. Florida had over 400 yards total offense but it was all between the 20 yard lines. It would be nearly a decade before the Gators were back in the national spotlight after that debacle in the mid 80s.

northgajacket

Banned
I don't know about Michigan and Virginia Tech fans but from years of going to Florida games with a friend I can tell you that those Gators just can't stand UGA. One of those things. The younger generation generally detests FSU more but the older ones harbor pretty intense feelings about UGA from all those years of frustration visited upon the Gators by Vince Dooly. Can't say I blame them. Imagine being number 1 in the country for the first time ever with all the hoopla of the "Great Wall of Florida" Kerwin Bell at quarterback, loads of talent on defense, great running backs like John L Williams and losing after one week to Georgia on three long runs. Florida had over 400 yards total offense but it was all between the 20 yard lines. It would be nearly a decade before the Gators were back in the national spotlight after that debacle in the mid 80s.

It could be worse, UVA in 1990 was #1 for the first time ever and never regained prominence when they lost. Now who was it that beat them again?

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I live in Alabama, all of the fans here love GT as like a pet, second school. They pretty much all wish GT was still in the SEC.

Well, sometime in the 1970s Bear Bryant took it upon himself to sponsor Tech to get back in the SEC. In his biography, he said it was about not wanting to go to his grave with that separation between himself and Coach Dodd. Anyway, with the assistance of whoever the athletic director was of LSU, he moved heaven and earth to threaten, beg, cajole, the others but UGA and the Mississippi schools refused. So, we went our own way into the ACC. Such is life.

northgajacket

Banned
From the late 80's until just the last few years, We NEVER won at Scott Stadium, save to 1990 game... A lot of miserable games in that hell hole...

True, it was almost like a curse. To be fair though UVA in the 1990's had decent teams, remember they were the first ACC team to defeat Florida State in conference play.

northgajacket

Banned
Well, sometime in the 1970s Bear Bryant took it upon himself to sponsor Tech to get back in the SEC. In his biography, he said it was about not wanting to go to his grave with that separation between himself and Coach Dodd. Anyway, with the assistance of whoever the athletic director was of LSU, he moved heaven and earth to threaten, beg, cajole, the others but UGA and the Mississippi schools refused. So, we went our own way into the ACC. Such is life.

Why did the Mississippi schools refuse?

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
“Whatever is there to go to Mississippi for?” Dodd was quoted as saying. “We like to take our fans to exciting places and Mississippi isn’t one.”

“The Mississippis (Mississippi and Mississippi State) just hated my guts, particularly Ole Miss,” Dodd said. “They wanted their hands on me so bad, ‘cause I wouldn’t play ‘em.”

Dodd’s stance ultimately had repercussions. After Tech left the SEC, there were at least two informal efforts to bring the school back into the conference. Former Tech coach Bill Curry, a captain of Dodd’s 1964 team, served as a messenger in 1975 from Alabama great Bear Bryant to Dodd that Bryant was ready to end the feud between the two men and, moreover, sponsor Tech’s re-entry into the conference.

“Coach Dodd said, ‘Well, that’s very nice, but we would never be allowed (back in),’” Curry said. “’The Mississippi schools would never allow it. They hate us too much.’”

Georgia coaching legend Vince Dooley said his school likewise made a back-channels campaign to bring back Tech some time prior to the school joining the ACC in 1978. Dooley said his school and others believed Tech’s location in Atlanta to be important to the conference.

However, Dooley said, “The Western brothers and sisters were not so supportive, without naming names.”

http://www.myajc.com/sports/college...ssippi-state-ole-miss/zUwORXYzjdL2W1z4HmSsPJ/

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
From the late 80's until just the last few years, We NEVER won at Scott Stadium, save to 1990 game... A lot of miserable games in that hell hole...
That seems about right. Seems like Jimy Lincoln had a huge game against them one year but that may have been at Tech. Dez White similarly had a monster game against Virginia but that too was at Grant Field. For the longest time they were in our heads at their place.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Because Tech wouldnt ever go play there because Mississippi sucks and the transportation to that place was garbage

There was a famous double hitter at Grant Field that involved Tech and Ole Miss (though they were playing two other teams) at any rate the SEC Commissioner at the press conference with all four coaches at the table came out and asked Dodd to play Ole Miss in Oxford. Dodd flat out said no because paraphrasing here: " No offense Johnny (Johnny Vaught coach of the Rebels) but I can make more money playing Girls High at Grant Field." Well, you could hear a pin drop and Vaught got red in the face but even then college football was a business. Nobody had the heart to say anything about poor old Mississippi State.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
“Whatever is there to go to Mississippi for?” Dodd was quoted as saying. “We like to take our fans to exciting places and Mississippi isn’t one.”

“The Mississippis (Mississippi and Mississippi State) just hated my guts, particularly Ole Miss,” Dodd said. “They wanted their hands on me so bad, ‘cause I wouldn’t play ‘em.”

Dodd’s stance ultimately had repercussions. After Tech left the SEC, there were at least two informal efforts to bring the school back into the conference. Former Tech coach Bill Curry, a captain of Dodd’s 1964 team, served as a messenger in 1975 from Alabama great Bear Bryant to Dodd that Bryant was ready to end the feud between the two men and, moreover, sponsor Tech’s re-entry into the conference.

“Coach Dodd said, ‘Well, that’s very nice, but we would never be allowed (back in),’” Curry said. “’The Mississippi schools would never allow it. They hate us too much.’”

Georgia coaching legend Vince Dooley said his school likewise made a back-channels campaign to bring back Tech some time prior to the school joining the ACC in 1978. Dooley said his school and others believed Tech’s location in Atlanta to be important to the conference.

However, Dooley said, “The Western brothers and sisters were not so supportive, without naming names.”

http://www.myajc.com/sports/college...ssippi-state-ole-miss/zUwORXYzjdL2W1z4HmSsPJ/

Sad but maybe its for the best. They go their way and we went ours.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Why did the Mississippi schools refuse?
What Old Jacket Fan said. Also, it really stuck in Coach Vaught's craw that Tech habitually during the 1950s would get a player out of Mississippi that they wanted badly. The Morris brothers being prime examples among others. Parents that might have been hesitant about letting their boys go off to the bright lights of Atlanta were invariably persuaded by Coach Dodd's gentlemanly manners and genuine concern for the well being of their sons. It did not hurt that Dodd could just about sell ice to an Eskimo when it suited him.

northgajacket

Banned
Because Tech wouldnt ever go play there because Mississippi sucks and the transportation to that place was garbage

Yeah it sucks now, I can only imagine in the 1950's how bad it would have been. When you go through that state you can tell it is the poorest in the Union.

northgajacket

Banned
That seems about right. Seems like Jimy Lincoln had a huge game against them one year but that may have been at Tech. Dez White similarly had a monster game against Virginia but that too was at Grant Field. For the longest time they were in our heads at their place.

I believe you are referring to the 1991 game at Bobby Dodd, William Bell and James Reese were suspended for the season and then a few more injuries to RB's later lead to playing time for Lincoln.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
When looking at Dodd's statements, you have to realize that as part of his compensation, he got a portion of the gate for home games. He had financial incentive to play as many games at home as possible.

This is also why he didn't give tickets to the students. Those were tickets that could be sold. Tech was the only game in town.