Well...

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
As I recall, we hired Homer, he started fundraising, hired Bill Curry, Bobby Cremins, Jim zmorris, Bernadette M ... and we went on a tear.

Todd is his protege, so I am optimistic. But we need $$$ to compete. Lots of fundraising and new revenue. Let's get 'em!

As I recall, we hired Homer, he started fundraising, hired Bill Curry, Bobby Cremins, Jim zmorris, Bernadette M ... and we went on a tear.

Todd is his protege, so I am optimistic. But we need $$$ to compete. Lots of fundraising and new revenue. Let's get 'em!
Just wish he had not hired Curry. But yes, we DO need $$$ to compete.

Yes! Homer worked it and significantly improved our facilities. He delivered the Arthur Edge Center.
I know that, but where did he get the money? Too many years ago now, but I don't remember any significant solicitations pointed my way as a regular contributor to the AT Fund. Speaking of which, DRad essentially wiped out the AT Fund with his ticket fees.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
As I recall, he hit the private donors like Calloway, etc. I think Edge was $5 million, so it wasn't a lot of dough by comparison.

I'd like to see a sustained program. Bama and Auburn have fantastic grass roots programs to collect $20 here, $50 there. It adds up.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
Call me crazy, but I don't think it's that simple to just double our football revenue. I also don't think that it didn't happen under DRad because he was lazy.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Having been there, yes ... you can increase your revenue if you want to. Compared to Bama, UT and Auburn, I just don't think Tech wants to. It requires a lot of effort.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
Having been there, yes ... you can increase your revenue if you want to. Compared to Bama, UT and Auburn, I just don't think Tech wants to. It requires a lot of effort.

Requires more than just effort. The numbers you're throwing around would make GT competitive in terms of budget with teams like Clemson. Tech has never been close to the big boys in modern football.

Call me crazy, but I don't think it's that simple to just double our football revenue. I also don't think that it didn't happen under DRad because he was lazy.
DRad was more interested in building or rebuilding facilities, which obviously isn't a bad thing, but there are other things besides buildings. Clemson fans are awakening to this reality too.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Requires more than just effort. The numbers your throwing around would make GT competitive in terms of budget with teams like Clemson. Tech has never been close to the big boys in modern football.

I think if you looked at it, Tech is not that far off. A top program like Alabama or Clemson brings in about $125 million. A major program like Auburn is around $100 million. (I'll double check.) I think Tech is in the $60-ish range.

Tech does well on conventional fund raising but blows on leveraging it's alumni or using a better club structure to raise money. I will say Bama does this very, very well.

What I mean by effort, is you have build the plan and infrastructure to do it. Others do it. Why not us? We will have to do it eventually. The outlook is that if you're not Top 100, you won't make it five, ten years from now. Let's start now.

I think if you looked at it, Tech is not that far off. A top program like Alabama or Clemson brings in about $125 million. A major program like Auburn is around $100 million. (I'll double check.) I think Tech is in the $60-ish range.

Tech does well on conventional fund raising but blows on leveraging it's alumni or using a better club structure to raise money. I will say Bama does this very, very well.

What I mean by effort, is you have build the plan and infrastructure to do it. Others do it. Why not us? We will have to do it eventually. The outlook is that if you're not Top 100, you won't make it five, ten years from now. Let's start now.
Hopefully TStan will get that ball rolling. I assume he learned a lot from Homer

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
DRad was more interested in building or rebuilding facilities, which obviously isn't a bad thing, but there are other things besides buildings. Clemson fans are awakening to this reality too.
Maybe - we will see. Clemson's program is probably at it's highest point ever historically (Yes I know they've won a NC). That's happened under DRad (granted he came in under a program building).

Maybe - we will see. Clemson's program is probably at it's highest point ever historically (Yes I know they've won a NC). That's happened under DRad (granted he came in under a program building).
I have some close friends who, though not wealthy donors, are still regular IPTAY contributors, and they are not happy with DRad's approach

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck

GT's revenue is about 75 mil. Alabama op revenue is about 150 mil. GT isn't poor, but we're not that close to Alabama. Ironically Clemson isn't that far ahead of us in revenue.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
so what now?
Where do we go from here?

Changes have to be made.

Whether that's O scheme (not gonna happen), O play, D play, coaches, assistants, water boys...whatever. Something's gotta give.
Unfortunately we have played a series of top 25 if not top 10 teams...we are not top 20 (maybe in two years?) Let's see how we do with more equal competition...