Well I was dead wrong

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Allen or no Allen, Tech got absolutely humiliated tonight. The game was over about 8 minutes in. Tech was up 4-0 and Duke went on a 29-7 run. The only kid from Tech who showed any heart at all was Okogie and that was after we were down 30 in the first half. There is nothing good to take away from this game. Burn the tape.

Sadly, this is what I expected this year (from both teams) but I was fooled by the shocking results on Saturday. I doubt the Louisville game will be much better

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
Tech would have lost no matter what. There will be more of this in the rebuild. But Ratface pulled a fast one and made the ACC look silly. One game suspension for something that could end a kid's career. And for the third time. He wanted to get his team playing as well as possible before he goes under the knife and succeeded. Further he played the best of the Hitler youth until 2 minutes left to run up the score. I'll give the Jackets credit for playing hard against the very best of the burger boys.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I'll take the bait..... who did you want Duke to play in second half? They had 12 players dress including two walk-ons. 8 scholarship guys logged 15 or more minutes. 2 seldom used kids played 5 & 7 minutes. The walk ons played 2 & 3 respectively.

The problem is that duke's 8th guy Bolden is better than almost anyone on Techs current roster. It doesn't matter if they rest the starters when the B team is better than our starters.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
I'll take the bait..... who did you want Duke to play in second half? They had 12 players dress including two walk-ons. 8 scholarship guys logged 15 or more minutes. 2 seldom used kids played 5 & 7 minutes. The walk ons played 2 & 3 respectively.

The problem is that duke's 8th guy Bolden is better than almost anyone on Techs current roster. It doesn't matter if they rest the starters when the B team is better than our starters.

And how do you explain them continuing to launch three pointers??????????????????????????????

/

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
They hit threes, they dunked, they hit floaters. Tech played no semblance of effective D all night. I'm glad they took threes instead of driving and dunking continuously. At least they missed a couple threes

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I really wonder how long people thought he should get for tripping someone in the heat of the moment. 3 games? If so then you think what Allen did was as bad as getting a DUI? Because that's how long we suspended Bolden for when he got a DUI. A one game suspension is what Green got for similar issues in the NBA, and what Chris Pual got when he nut punched Julius Hodge. Hell, I don't think we suspended Attaochu when he punched Logan Thomas. But hell, if he wasn't playing fro Duke this would be a non story to begin with.

As far as the actual game goes, I like the idea of burning the tape and moving on.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I really wonder how long people thought he should get for tripping someone in the heat of the moment. 3 games? If so then you think what Allen did was as bad as getting a DUI? Because that's how long we suspended Bolden for when he got a DUI. A one game suspension is what Green got for similar issues in the NBA, and what Chris Pual got when he nut punched Julius Hodge. Hell, I don't think we suspended Attaochu when he punched Logan Thomas. But hell, if he wasn't playing fro Duke this would be a non story to begin with.

As far as the actual game goes, I like the idea of burning the tape and moving on.

You make some good points. I think what angers me the most is the governing bodies were content to let Duke do what they wanted to handle the situation when everyone knows if it's someone else they are stepping in immediately. The level of corruption and favoritism in college sports is egregious.

Mark my words. They are going to drop the hammer on USF and UNC will get a slap on the wrist if anything.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
You make some good points. I think what angers me the most is the governing bodies were content to let Duke do what they wanted to handle the situation when everyone knows if it's someone else they are stepping in immediately. The level of corruption and favoritism in college sports is egregious.

What reason is there to actually believe the ACC would have stepped in and done anything if it were say an FSU guy instead? Like when have they stepped in to handle sportsmanship issues in the past? Keep in mind that this was Allen tripping someone. It's not like he punched a ref or cussed out a fan. He tripped a guy. Normally it wouldn't even be worth an ejection, much less a suspension. But a one game suspension for a repeat offender fits.

You do bring up the problem though. Most fans have become so angered by perceived Duke preferential treatment that they see it even when it isn't there. The ACC didn't let Duke handle it because it's Duke. They let Duke handle it because they don't want to set a standard where they handle sportsmanship issues. Because that opens up an entirely different can of worms.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
What reason is there to actually believe the ACC would have stepped in and done anything if it were say an FSU guy instead? Like when have they stepped in to handle sportsmanship issues in the past? Keep in mind that this was Allen tripping someone. It's not like he punched a ref or cussed out a fan. He tripped a guy. Normally it wouldn't even be worth an ejection, much less a suspension. But a one game suspension for a repeat offender fits.

You do bring up the problem though. Most fans have become so angered by perceived Duke preferential treatment that they see it even when it isn't there. The ACC didn't let Duke handle it because it's Duke. They let Duke handle it because they don't want to set a standard where they handle sportsmanship issues. Because that opens up an entirely different can of worms.

Why is cussing out a fan more frowned uponthan tripping a guy not once not twice but three times on the basketball court?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Why is cussing out a fan more frowned uponthan tripping a guy not once not twice but three times on the basketball court?

It shouldn't be but it's Duke so ....

Anyways, the problem, from my point of view, is that silly stuff like this should be policed on the court (via the opposing team being allowed to faceplant the little snit the next time he drives into the lane) but they won't allow it to be. That's why the "punishment" doesn't really fit.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
The kid is a tool and so is coach K. They're both incredibly good at what they do, but what's sad is that a player that good does crap like that and even more sad that a coach that well renowned stands for it. Pretty pathetic, actually...

I wouldn't worry too much. They'll be out of the tournament in the second round come March.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Just my $.02...

Moore & Okogie are frosh, and it always takes kids a while to adjust to the speed of the college game. They're generally used to being physically superior to most opponents and they don't have to work very hard on D in HS. the move to defending on the perimeter in college is a big adjustment. Okogie has the tools and attitude to be a beast defensively. Will just take time

Heath has been atrocious defensively since he got here. Nothing has changed. He struggles to stop dribble penetration and can't stay in front of his guy.

Q is not a 3 and doesn't have the lateral quickness to stay in front of anyone on the wing. he is an undersized 4 who is forced to play out of position a lot.

Believe we will get better as the year goes on (Okogie and Moore will get better) and next year should be a step change as the off-season offers great opportunity to grow and improve

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
They hit threes, they dunked, they hit floaters. Tech played no semblance of effective D all night. I'm glad they took threes instead of driving and dunking continuously. At least they missed a couple threes

I thought the D looked okay for the first 2 or 3 minutes of the game (a few other times too). But midway through the 2nd half we were gassed.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

I cannot lie, I was hoping that Tatum or Kennard or one of them would roll an ankle when they were still in the game up 30+

Duck Fuke.. I hate them worse than any other program in any sport.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Why is our perimeter defense so poor?

One - we played like ****. The whole rat face/Cameron intimidation thing

Two - it is a bad matchup for that zone we play. Duke is too skilled both shooting and driving to be able to play that zone very long And the matchups in man are even worse

Third - while that zone matches up better against UNC, we were spoiled by an incredibly bad / unmotivated game by them. With ratty going on vacation for a while and Allen's return plus the loss to VT they were in all out eat their young mode.

We are not as good as perceived after the UNC game but we are not this bad either. Burn the tape and move on