Welcome, Mr. Snoddy!

jason

Georgia Tech Fan
He looks like he is football strong compared to what most track stars are. I'm not saying track runners are not strong just he seems to be built like a football player.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
I usually pay no attention to defensive rankings before our games, because usually it doesn't translate to playing us. We have made some really good defenses look silly, especially good defenses agains the run.
I have noticed that the way we spread the field, the passing D ranking tends to be a better predictor than the running D ranking (although a stout D line tends to reduce the dive option significantly).

I need to offer my mea culpa to Mr. Snoddy: I was wrong about your cutting/juking ability. You have more than just straight line speed and in my book you are a first-rate playmaker. Well done, sir.
url-19.gif

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Showed some nice balance too.

The speed difference was telling against Pitt.

That said if they dont give us the ball a bunch with a short field this one is a shootout we may or may not win. Still...credit where credit is due...the D did create some of those turnovers with good hustle.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
I always thought Snoddy looked good with the ball in his hands out there. To my eyes, he's always had as good of a cutting ability as our other a-backs, better than Bostic who doesn't make cuts at all. He always looked like he was running hard to me, even when he was at b-back. I think it's a case where mythology gets started about a player (track guy only, straight line speed) and people see what they want to see. I'm guessing his problem that he hasn't seen the field as much previously had more to do with him running the plays right and blocking.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I hope it does kill UVA too. It was pretty obvious that PITT was lacking in defensive speed today. They are a physical bunch but chasing plays is not their strength. That sideline looked pretty far away for their LBs. We present a different challenge for every defense. I usually pay no attention to defensive rankings before our games, because usually it doesn't translate to playing us. We have made some really good defenses look silly, especially good defenses agains the run.
I didn't zone in on the backers every play, but even on the dive, they were frozen in their tracks just waiting to be hit by our OL's. It seemed as if they were waiting to see where the ball was before reacting for fear of being out of position.

I tell you this much, JT gets a ton of credit for his deception on the mesh. He hides his intention perfectly and then he's so quick when he does pull it, LB's have to wait to see because if they get sucked in, he's gone on the edge.

Oh, and the DL didn't shed blocks very well, either.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Snoddy use to look like he was playing with concrete boots the first five yards...now he's much more decisive and runs like a bat out of Hades once the ball gets in his hands. It comes with being comfortable in your assignments and getting familiar with the system.

You guys realize we have 2 state champions in the 100m in our backfield? It was a thing of beauty watching guys reach for air as Snoddy and JT were passing them and just obliterating their pursuit angles.
Could not agree more with the highlighted part. This, in a nutshell, explains why freshman backs, no matter how talented, have a hard time seeing the field. You've got to 'know where to go', as CPJ loves to say, or you just don't realize your full talent.

Chas_Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think what made Pitt look slow was the speed with the option execution. The opposing defenses do not have that extra second that we gave them last year to make decisions and determine where the ball is heading. We also have the speed to make them pay for hesitating.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The best thing about Snoddy for us? The light has come on and he will be back next year (RJr).

And then we will see him in the NFL since they greatly value speed.

When I said we would win easily because of our speed, I was thinking of our O and ST speed. But our CB (DJ White) running Connor down to force the fumble / touch back was a bit of speed. Our D isn't nearly as fast as our O and you can see it. But the GT D seemed to be faster than the Pitt O.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
The main thing is that we simply reloaded again. Perkins gets hurt and both Snoddy and Zenon step up big time. And, of course, Deon Hill has his usual good game.

And, of course again, Zach gets hurt and Days has his first 100 yard day (but hold on to that football there). If this outfit had the depth on D it has on O the year would be truly great. And, of course for the third time, we did until some of the players help the need to transfer, quit, or let down slightly on their studies. Too bad about that.

interesting all the guys mentioned except soddy are Srs. They all know how to block(and run). We also have 2 big Sr WRs who block.I wonder how next yr will be for snoddy without that exp going for him.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Us old guys remember " bullet Bob Hayes " Olympic speedster and Dallas cowboy receiver. We have our own version of bullet, but ours can play rb. I vote roll right and pass deep to left ab "bullet" . Dallas QB would look to see if single coverage and at second 3 after snap would throw a high pass as far as he could. Bullet bod would be at full speed and slow down slightly to catch. This guy brings lots of different talent to game.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I still can't believe the balance. In the spring game I saw Snoddy knocked off his feet with a slight tap from somebody. I was thinking I had never seen a college running back so easily tackled....His combination of speed and balance reminded me of Tony Hollins.

Assuming C J is the real deal, imagine next year with C J, Snoddy, and Justin as the three running options.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
There were some calling for Soddy to quit football to focus on track. I won't call the guy out but let's say his name rhymes with jg01 :oops:.

I bet he's happily eating a crow omelet this morning. :p

Good game Mr. Snoddy.
Kgo1 You're SOOO big!!! I agree with you!!!

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
To echo kg01, I was SUPER psyched for Snoddy. I remember thinking when he was being recruited that he was genetically engineered to play A-Back in this system.

That said, I had lost hope for him ever coming around. I'm not going to get ahead of myself and say that the light has for sure gone on for him, but I'm really excited about him again.

That'll teach me to quit on a guy half way through his redshirt sophomore year. Feel like a dope, and glad of it :)

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Snoddy is a example of why we shouldn't draw final conclusions on the value of players so quickly. Experience is extremely important and I am often surprised how quickly young players are condemned for making some bad plays that stand out in a game. This is a young team and I am enjoying the season, with its up and downs. I even think that Kallon may put in some 4 star performances next year :)