Week 5: Temple Game Week Media

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I got you.

I wasn't clear. I'm saying that his rhetoric leads the hearer to think "turnaround" even before he stopped himself and chose a different word.

Rather than changing vocabulary, he needs to change the way he's thinking ... if he's truly concerned about reaching out to those you say were offended.
I probably still don't understand what you're getting at, but this isn't something I care deeply about. That's why I didn't want to get into interpretation of the premise, but I'll give my point of view one more stab.

The words all have a similar impact but carry a different meaning. In this presser, there was no context preceding his monologue about the bye week and its helpfulness. It strikes me as fair to use vocabulary such as transformation or transition, imo, with respect to the bye week if for example we're talking about the continual education/repetition and differences in offensive and defensive philosophies. He's said many times including in this presser that what they do as coaches is different as well.

To me, a transformation extends to finding players who better fit positional needs, like QB and OL for instance. Given the broad brush skill sets on hand, that also seems fair.

I don't conflate any of that with an assumption of poor performance previously, which is the connotation with turnaround and what I perceived to be the slight that bothered others.

I acknowledge I tend to give GT coaches the benefit of the doubt when I find motivations unclear, and perhaps I'm wrong and that's the case this time.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
He probably realized that it was not a good look to say turnaround when the previous team had a winning record and he just lost to a FCS team. Better optics to say transition...
Well then maybe it is a turnaround and we're just turning the wrong direction. And now he's wrong again. j/k

Obviously your interpretation is possible as well.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I probably still don't understand what you're getting at, but this isn't something I care deeply about. That's why I didn't want to get into interpretation of the premise, but I'll give my point of view one more stab.

The words all have a similar impact but carry a different meaning. In this presser, there was no context preceding his monologue about the bye week and its helpfulness. It strikes me as fair to use vocabulary such as transformation or transition, imo, with respect to the bye week if for example we're talking about the continual education/repetition and differences in offensive and defensive philosophies. He's said many times including in this presser that what they do as coaches is different as well.

To me, a transformation extends to finding players who better fit positional needs, like QB and OL for instance. Given the broad brush skill sets on hand, that also seems fair.

I don't conflate any of that with an assumption of poor performance previously, which is the connotation with turnaround and what I perceived to be the slight that bothered others.

I acknowledge I tend to give GT coaches the benefit of the doubt when I find motivations unclear, and perhaps I'm wrong and that's the case this time.

Since you look at word choices independent of context as conveying meaning, you are a blooming flower.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Since you look at word choices independent of context as conveying meaning, you are a blooming flower.
Since there was no immediate context for today's word choices, I offered example context from later in this press conference to support a different interpretation than yours. But now you have me curious - what context are you referencing?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Since there was no immediate context for today's word choices, I offered example context from later in this press conference to support a different interpretation than yours. But now you have me curious - what context are you referencing?

I already said.

TheFlyest

Ramblin' Wreck
Listening to CDP speaking glowingly of JG is interesting considering how little he’s played. Hopefully he’ll see the field more.

No questions about the OLinemen?
No questions as to why we don’t see more screens and quick hitters?

LibertyTurns

Banned
Regardless of premise, I think this is a way of adjusting the semantics to be more palatable to all parties. Some on the board specifically took issue with the word "turnaround". In a vacuum, turnaround to me implies something about past W/L. Transformation or transition implies more about the program philosophy, and there can still be reason to expect near-term bumps in the road.

As you said, all of those words carry a similar impact of adjusting expectations and perception to your or your program's benefit (in theory). Nearly every coach does that in their own way.
Is this supposed to be a linear transformation? Inquiring minds want to know.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Is this supposed to be a linear transformation? Inquiring minds want to know.

Not linear. . . MONUMENTAL!!

From DP's talk it was interesting to hear about every QB other than Lucas really aside from him saying Lucas was the better pocket thrower in the first few weeks. Wonder if that means more JG/TO?

Or just all LJ the whole game?;)

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
He probably realized that it was not a good look to say turnaround when the previous team had a winning record and he just lost to a FCS team. Better optics to say transition...

He has actually fairly consistently used the term “transition” for quite a while. “One of the most monumental transitions in the history of college football” to be precise.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
He has actually fairly consistently used the term “transition” for quite a while. “One of the most monumental transitions in the history of college football” to be precise.
I agree with you, he has used that quote just about every interview he has done. He used it 3 times in about 6 seconds after the lost to Citadel. This is the first time I heard turnaround, he seems to be very prepared with his messaging/ branding, I won’t say that it was on purpose, but it makes me wonder if there was some kind of effort to change the view of the past to make the L not look as bad.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
That's funny I thought you paid a head coach to win and by winning that would promote the program. If we want a salesman you can get one for less than 2m a year.
That was strictly true a long time ago. Today they need to do BOTH. There's only one Saban that can get away with not promoting his school, and even he talks about the 'greatness of Bama'. Every other big time coach does it too.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Not saying don’t use them or that they are worthless. I’m just doubtful they are as beneficial as in baseball. I could certainly be wrong though.

Agree about the QB position with regards to practice also.

I think where it helps is player workload and managing effort vs too much effort or wearing em out. I also think its a great comparative to have to take a player and say ok this is his avg practice workload. This is him in a game. Is he a gamer. The same. Or below practice and why. It will help how they manage rotations. I like that too. Also, are they playing as fast in the game as practice and vice versa.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I know people got upset at CPJ because they said he didn't to to the defensive meetings.
Question does CGC sit in on the offensive meetings or does he just take the OC's word on things.

Yes. He sits in on group meetings. Maybe not every time. But he does, rotates through

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Am I the only one who used to listen to CPJ pressers and doesn’t at all anymore? I feel like he basically never talks about anything with substance. All coach speak.

I listened to CPJ's and I listen to CGC's. I have never really thought there was much value in coach pressers, either way, but I listen for background noise, I guess.

White_Gold

GT Athlete
I think where it helps is player workload and managing effort vs too much effort or wearing em out. I also think its a great comparative to have to take a player and say ok this is his avg practice workload. This is him in a game. Is he a gamer. The same. Or below practice and why. It will help how they manage rotations. I like that too. Also, are they playing as fast in the game as practice and vice versa.

We oughta get em on Oura Rings too, for when they sleep.