Week 5: Temple Game Week Media

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
hey, why evaluate a qb any different than a S right? I mean afterall, the qb only touches the ball every fu---ckin play. And we know a S to be similar right? I mean, clearly you can evaluate those the same ATL

we aren't messing with kickers or QB's, we just view them as safetys.

there is no way on gods green earth collins can really think this...no way. If so its gonna be a disaster for him

I agree that it’s more talking points than true philosophy. And probably rooted in backing up motivational stuff told to the players.

I hope.....

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Small thing but apparently meaningful for some.

CGC used the word "transformation" rather than "turnaround", the latter word being one he used in the past.

At the 2 minute mark in the presser he stated "I don't want to use the word turnaround", which made it feel like an intentional change in messaging.
I would say, once you've lost to an FCS, you are not in a "turnaround" anymore (as we haven't lost to an FCS equivalent in 30+ years) but instead have become something different. Probably smart word choice to use transformation...

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
hey, why evaluate a qb any different than a S right? I mean afterall, the qb only touches the ball every fu---ckin play. And we know a S to be similar right? I mean, clearly you can evaluate those the same ATL

we aren't messing with kickers or QB's, we just view them as safetys.

there is no way on gods green earth collins can really think this...no way. If so its gonna be a disaster for him

I truly believe he thinks that way

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The fact that we use Data on a position that is very intuitive, concerns me. Kicking isn't always data driven. It is also superstitious and a head game. Messing with the kickers just like a QB can scew data. Going off data almost makes it seem like you're afraid to make a wrong decision and take the blame.

Data should be used, but not to the extent that it has been for kicking. This is ridiculous. And I'm a HUGE fan of Collins

Interesting thoughts. I think data can usually be a good tool. Sometimes it can lead you astray depending on the quality of data and how it is applied.

Data analytics should be appealing to most Tech fans imo. And some say it can be utilized the same in football as in baseball / moneyball. I don’t think it relates quite as well honestly. Far fewer sample sizes in college football compared to pro baseball. I think actually watching film is far more valuable than any data analysis from stats.

To be clear I’m not saying the staff uses too much or not enough. They do seem to reference it fairly frequently. I tend to doubt that it plays a major roll in playing time decisions and such.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Interesting thoughts. I think data can usually be a good tool. Sometimes it can lead you astray depending on the quality of data and how it is applied.

Data analytics should be appealing to most Tech fans imo. And some say it can be utilized the same in football as in baseball / moneyball. I don’t think it relates quite as well honestly. Far fewer sample sizes in college football compared to pro baseball. I think actually watching film is far more valuable than any data analysis from stats.

To be clear I’m not saying the staff uses too much or not enough. They do seem to reference it fairly frequently. I tend to doubt that it plays a major roll in playing time decisions and such.

Big big fan of alot of the analytics they are using. Its the decisions based on practice scheme and those analytics i am questioning at a key position

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I caught that. It was clear that "turnaround" was the word that came to mind. In fact, the logic of what he was saying seemed to be premised on it being a turnaround (as in from bad to good). So, I agree that there seems to be an intentional change away from using the word turnaround, but I'm not sure it's really that much of a change in messaging.

Remember a few years ago in basketball, the phrase, "major rebuild," was repeated ad nauseam. It was a way of lowering expectations.
Regardless of premise, I think this is a way of adjusting the semantics to be more palatable to all parties. Some on the board specifically took issue with the word "turnaround". In a vacuum, turnaround to me implies something about past W/L. Transformation or transition implies more about the program philosophy, and there can still be reason to expect near-term bumps in the road.

As you said, all of those words carry a similar impact of adjusting expectations and perception to your or your program's benefit (in theory). Nearly every coach does that in their own way.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Big big fan of alot of the analytics they are using. Its the decisions based on practice scheme and those analytics i am questioning at a key position

Not saying don’t use them or that they are worthless. I’m just doubtful they are as beneficial as in baseball. I could certainly be wrong though.

Agree about the QB position with regards to practice also.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
In today's football, your head coach is SUPPOSED to be a salesman. Promote the program, keep pushing it. Get more eyes on you, which equals more dollars.
That's funny I thought you paid a head coach to win and by winning that would promote the program. If we want a salesman you can get one for less than 2m a year.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Regardless of premise, I think this is a way of adjusting the semantics to be more palatable to all parties. Some on the board specifically took issue with the word "turnaround". In a vacuum, turnaround to me implies something about past W/L. Transformation or transition implies more about the program philosophy, and there can still be reason to expect near-term bumps in the road.

As you said, all of those words carry a similar impact of adjusting expectations and perception to your or your program's benefit (in theory). Nearly every coach does that in their own way.

I got you.

I wasn't clear. I'm saying that his rhetoric leads the hearer to think "turnaround" even before he stopped himself and chose a different word.

Rather than changing vocabulary, he needs to change the way he's thinking ... if he's truly concerned about reaching out to those you say were offended.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
I got you.

I wasn't clear. I'm saying that his rhetoric leads the hearer to think "turnaround" even before he stopped himself and chose a different word.

Rather than changing vocabulary, he needs to change the way he's thinking ... if he's truly concerned about reaching out to those you say were offended.

He probably realized that it was not a good look to say turnaround when the previous team had a winning record and he just lost to a FCS team. Better optics to say transition...

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
This sounds like how CPJ spoke about the offense. He always said we are going to get better at what we do and not necessarily focus on what the defense does. I think this is a great approach. Been looking forward to defense under CGC.

You know I really like listening to Coach Thacker speak. Its still coach-speak, but he really seems to give his answers honest thought and comes across as very sincere.