Week 5: Temple Game Week Media

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Saturday's TV crew on CBS Sports Network includes a name most will recognize...
  • Play-by-Play: Rich Waltz
  • Analyst: Aaron Murray
  • Sideline Reporter: Angel Gray

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Saturday's TV crew on CBS Sports Network includes a name most will recognize...
  • Play-by-Play: Rich Waltz
  • Analyst: Aaron Murray
  • Sideline Reporter: Angel Gray
ee25687bdad83ffb2d74923e46d4ad7e.jpg

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Summary for those that might not have time to listen.....

positivity, guys getting better everyday, work ethic, energy level, attitude, 2nd to none, process in place, confidence, guys bought into it, invest in our players, move forward, belief system in what we do and how we do, we know we are going to get better, daily basis, never waste a failure, focus on ourselves, play at a really high level, form bonds across the organization, it's about us, find a way to see the best in every opportunity, this is what we have to do to get better, this is how we are going to attack it, grand vision of what i know this place can be, all about our process, data will show who will kick each week

And, he made sure the team knew that the penalties in the last game cost the team 19:01 of possession time the first day back.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
Collins was supposedly on GT60 last week because it was important to talk to the fans, but there was no mention of his not being on the show this week. Makes me wonder if he was just trading for a more controlled, pre-recorded show over a live show where he’d actually have to respond to fans.

BuzzThePlumber

Helluva Engineer
Collins was supposedly on GT60 last week because it was important to talk to the fans, but there was no mention of his not being on the show this week. Makes me wonder if he was just trading for a more controlled, pre-recorded show over a live show where he’d actually have to respond to fans.
Seriously doubt it. Though I'm not sure what purpose him being accosted by irrational, impatient, uninformed fans at this point would serve anyway...

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
The fact that we use Data on a position that is very intuitive, concerns me. Kicking isn't always data driven. It is also superstitious and a head game. Messing with the kickers just like a QB can scew data. Going off data almost makes it seem like you're afraid to make a wrong decision and take the blame.

Data should be used, but not to the extent that it has been for kicking. This is ridiculous. And I'm a HUGE fan of Collins

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Messing with the kickers just like a QB can scew data.

hey, why evaluate a qb any different than a S right? I mean afterall, the qb only touches the ball every fu---ckin play. And we know a S to be similar right? I mean, clearly you can evaluate those the same ATL

we aren't messing with kickers or QB's, we just view them as safetys.

there is no way on gods green earth collins can really think this...no way. If so its gonna be a disaster for him

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
hey, why evaluate a qb any different than a S right? I mean afterall, the qb only touches the ball every fu---ckin play. And we know a S to be similar right? I mean, clearly you can evaluate those the same ATL

we aren't messing with kickers or QB's, we just view them as safetys.

there is no way on gods green earth collins can really think this...no way. If so its gonna be a disaster for him

I don't presume to know enough to be dogmatic on this point, but I think it is an interesting one. Is the pressure felt by the safety or cornerback different from the pressure felt by the QB or Kicker?

On the one hand, I'm inclined to think that the playing-time competition on the safety, cornerback, OL or whatever is healthy and brings out the best. On the other hand, I'm inclined to think that too much playing-time competition on the QB or the Kicker may undermine confidence and bring out less than the best.

Still, I don't know why I'm inclined to think this way or if I'm alone.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Small thing but apparently meaningful for some.

CGC used the word "transformation" rather than "turnaround", the latter word being one he used in the past.

At the 2 minute mark in the presser he stated "I don't want to use the word turnaround", which made it feel like an intentional change in messaging.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't presume to know enough to be dogmatic on this point, but I think it is an interesting one. Is the pressure felt by the safety or cornerback different from the pressure felt by the QB or Kicker?

On the one hand, I'm inclined to think that the playing-time competition on the safety, cornerback, OL or whatever is healthy and brings out the best. On the other hand, I'm inclined to think that too much playing-time competition on the QB or the Kicker may undermine confidence and bring out less than the best.

Still, I don't know why I'm inclined to think this way or if I'm alone.

I have no issue with his concept for any position but qb (so much more responsibility, needs reps, consistency, ability to find a groove in game to see how the d is playing, touches ball every play). Kickers can be shuttled more than u think. Nfl dumps em all the time. But if u decide, decide. And make sure when u do u stick with it until you shouldn’t. And for kicking game performance should be the metric not necessarily practice.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Small thing but apparently meaningful for some.

CGC used the word "transformation" rather than "turnaround", the latter word being one he used in the past.

At the 2 minute mark in the presser he stated "I don't want to use the word turnaround", which made it feel like an intentional change in messaging.

Yeah, I caught that. It was clear that "turnaround" was the word that came to mind. In fact, the logic of what he was saying seemed to be premised on it being a turnaround (as in from bad to good). So, I agree that there seems to be an intentional change away from using the word turnaround, but I'm not sure it's really that much of a change in messaging.

Remember a few years ago in basketball, the phrase, "major rebuild," was repeated ad nauseam. It was a way of lowering expectations.