Article Wed against ND is 'Level Up Night"

• Highlight

Preview: Georgia Tech vs Notre Dame

It’s caught by Devonta Smith for an Alabaaaaama touchdown!! As Alabama’s confetti fell in Mercedes Benz Stadium last night, the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets basketball team was resting up for the always tough Notre Dame Fighting Irish that are coming to town. The Irish are 12-3 on the season with losses to Ball State and Indiana (both by 3) along with a 63-81 loss to Michigan State. Unfortunately for Notre Dame, that is not the biggest loss of the season. Instead that comes in the form of losing last year’s ACC Player of the Year, Bonzie Colston for 8 weeks with a foot fracture. Senior guard and fellow upperclassmen Matt Farrell is also expected to be unavailable for the game (ankle), but who knows, Notre Dame could pull a Coach Pastner and he suits up and plays. I don’t expect them to make that move with more important long-term postseason thoughts, but you never know.

In his 18th year as the lead man at Notre Dame is Coach Mike Brey. He is highly considered as one of the greatest coaches in college hoops right now and one of the inspirations of Coach Pastner’s “get old, stay old” philosophies….and boy does Brey do an excellent job of it.

Without Colson and Farrell on the court to provide that senior leadership, Coach Brey will turn to a fellow upperclassman who stands 6’6” out of Mater Dei High School #0, Rex Pflueger. Not only does his name sound like a cousin of a super-villain but it is also a pain to spell out. A “f” after a “p” seriously, come on guy. Even though his hair and name are annoying, he is a really really solid basketball player. Was the second “really” necessary? Yeah, probably not, but I don’t want you fooled. Pflueger rarely comes out of the game, and will be trusted to do a plethora of things for the Irish. He hits the open shot, grabs the tough rebound, makes the extra pass to his teammates, and will give up his body for a charge (a Notre Dame player taking a charge..you don’t say?). He will more than likely get his 14 points and 7 rebounds, while playing solid hard defense. Tech just can’t let him get fired up and start making crazy shots/plays. If you keep him in a supporting role, you can be successful.

Baller Alert: The 6’3” sophomore out of Scotch Plains, New Jersey is #10, T.J. Gibbs Jr. This young guard is amazing on the offensive end and can shoot it from anywhere. I honestly do not know why he isn’t getting more recognition nationally. To me, he reminds me of the NBA rookie who is taking the league by storm, Donovan Mitchell. I would be interested to see who you guys/gals would compare his game to. Gibbs is averaging 14.8 points per game this season but will be able to add onto that without Colson and Farrell taking shots. He can go off for 30 and easily take over the game, and I am a little nervous he does. For some reason I cannot get the image of him nailing that back side three over and over. <insert PA Announcer in soft voice> “Gibbs for three…again.”

For Notre Dame, the next couple of words are rarely linked together: the impact freshman standing 6’6″ out of Bowie, Maryland #3, DJ Harvey. He already has the body for the ACC and the mindset to go along with it. He has no problem shooting the ball, even if there is a better option or his shots aren’t falling. In my opinion this is the guy Tech should force to beat them. Put the pressure on the talented but unproven freshman on the road in the Thrillerdome (trademark pending, I feel like this will catch on).

With an even bigger role down on the block with Bonzie out is the 6’10” senior from Vilnius, Lithuania #23, Martinas Geben. Not only is this guy from the same country that is hosting Peac’s favorite family, he is also the fifth European player to play for Brey at Notre Dame. He is averaging 8 points and 7 rebounds on the year and he plays as you might imagine. Big and strong, he hits the boards hard and hits the defenders with screens even harder. They like to get him the ball at the high post and do pick/ball hand-offs to the scorers on the wing for an easy shot. This is a game where Ben Lammers will need his healthy legs to grab those boards, because you know that Geben will be making contact trying to box out.

The Fighting Irish will also turn to a duo of upperclassmen #12, Elijah Burns and #1, Austin Torres. Out of the two Burns is by far more of the scoring threat while Torres is a graduate transfer that is straight energy, and it doesn’t matter if it’s off the bench or starting as he goes all out. The final key piece for the Irish is the 6’9” sophomore big #33, John Mooney. He is still young but can stretch the floor and has the body to compete down low.

Prediction: This game is set up for Lammers to have a nice game if his mid-range shot is falling. AD will be posting up on the block or at the top of the key to get Geben to guard him, which means Lammers will have someone smaller guarding him. Therefore Ben can easily shoot over whoever with a normal jumper or a vintage Dirk’Lammers fadeaway. I feel like Alvarado can get some back-side poke away steals from Harvey in transition and Tech runs the floor for a basket. *paging a Tadric euro step finish*. I keep wanting to pick Notre Dame because of all the talent they have, but I also can’t get over how well we play in ACC games at home. So, it basically came down to one thing. Josh Okogie. We have him, they don’t. Pretty deep analysis there, huh? Gibbs Jr. step over, the real sophomore baller is comin’ through. Okogie drops 36 and Techs wins by 5.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2897

Great student crowd. They were really into the game.

Pflueger reportedly had the flu or something like it, but JO was pretty determined not to let him get going at all. Students were all over him all game. They kept chanting - "we want 0'. Would cheer whenever he re-entered the game and then taunt him.

+1 on the students. I remember last year anytime a guy would throw up an airball - even if it was only like 5 minutes in, I'd tell my buddy, "watch this - they're going to yell airball for the next 35 minutes". And damn if there wasn't a thundering AIR BALL chant for the next 35 minutes every time he touched the ball. +1 on the students!

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It doesn't always happen like that, but I'd say that last night work out about how I expected it too. Notre Dame played tough and scrapped throughout. I didn't think that they would lay down for us.

Outside of a couple of nice stretches, I didn't think that we played all that well. We played good defense throughout, and that saved us, but I don't think that it was one of our better offensive games.

Nonetheless, a win is a win and hopefully we can go on the road and take care of business against Pitt. That sets up for a big time game against UVA.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
We still have a long way to go, just to make the NIT.

We're 9-7 with 15 games left. + 1 ACC Tournament game.

We have to go 7-8 in the remaining 15 and lose the ACC Tournament first round as a worst case scenario to still qualify for the NIT at 16-16.

7 of our remaining 15 games are against ranked opponents.

Unranked on the road is Boston College, Pittsburgh, and Louisville - road games for us have been tough.

Bottom line, starting 2-1 has given us a chance now. But its still going to be extremely difficult. I think the NCAA is only possible if we go 9-6 from here on out to finish at 11-7 in the ACC. Because that would put us at 20-14. And I think we would get a benefit of the doubt for the first 15 games of the season with injuries and what not if we did that. But 9-6 from here with our schedule is holy cow rough.
Agree here. Holding serve at home is going to be vitally important for the rest of the season. And this is with UVA and Duke rolling into town (among others). On top of that, you're going to have to steal a few road games to even be in the conversation, which as we all know has been difficult for us to do in the past. The win last night was fantastic, but makes the game at Pitt on Saturday just that much more important.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
+1 on the students. I remember last year anytime a guy would throw up an airball - even if it was only like 5 minutes in, I'd tell my buddy, "watch this - they're going to yell airball for the next 35 minutes". And damn if there wasn't a thundering AIR BALL chant for the next 35 minutes every time he touched the ball. +1 on the students!
You hear this chant many places, but my impression is that the Tech students keep it up the entire game, and with gusto, more than any other fan base. I think that is fantastic, as it can be a calling card, and a pillar or tradition going forward. In the ACC you need the home court advantage/crowd noise. Maybe one day McCamish Maniacs can be a widely known phenomen the way Cameron Crazies are.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Its amazing how much a good enthusiastic home crowd helps. Guarantee we wouldnt of lost some of those earlier games we lost if the stands wernt half empty
Wholeheartedly agree with this statement... I only missed a couple of non-conference games, and for most, McCamish was a morgue.

Let's face it.. We rely heavily on our students to make any noise. If they're away on break, the Thrillerdome becomes the Hear a Pin Drop Dome.

Good to see them be loud and engaged last night. It definitely helped, just like it did against Syracuse last year.

Deleted member 2897

Pittsburgh is 0-4 and in last place. BUT, those 4 losses are Miami, @Louisville, @Virginia Tech, and Duke. So those were tough opponents. About the only good thing I can say is that the smallest margin of defeat in those games was 14 to Miami and Virginia Tech. But even those games were over early (it was 30-19 at half time agains Miami). The average margin of defeat was 23 points across all 4 of their games.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
There is not knocking athleticism, but team play means a lot. CJP has these guys playing really well as a team. We do not have the skills or athleticism of ND, Guys, we have a good coach.
Wholeheartedly agree with this statement... I only missed a couple of non-conference games, and for most, McCamish was a morgue.

Let's face it.. We rely heavily on our students to make any noise. If they're away on break, the Thrillerdome becomes the Hear a Pin Drop Dome.

Good to see them be loud and engaged last night. It definitely helped, just like it did against Syracuse last year.
When we started winning during the early Cremins years it became difficult to buy tickets. It will return when CJP gets his program rolling.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We are so far away right now from getting into a postseason tourney i'm not going to worry about it, but in pure numbers my gut is 10-8 in ACC to get an NIT bid. 12-6 for an NCAA bid.
Because of the injury to JO, if GT really plays well from his point of return on they will get a little benefit of the doubt there- but they still have to atone for some of those early losses.

This team will also likely have to beat a Top 25 team on the road to get serious consideration.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
We are so far away right now from getting into a postseason tourney i'm not going to worry about it, but in pure numbers my gut is 10-8 in ACC to get an NIT bid. 12-6 for an NCAA bid.
Because of the injury to JO, if GT really plays well from his point of return on they will get a little benefit of the doubt there- but they still have to atone for some of those early losses.

This team will also likely have to beat a Top 25 team on the road to get serious consideration.
I'm not even sure 12-6 gets us in with our losses.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not even sure 12-6 gets us in with our losses.

If we somehow finish 12-6 I don't think they can keep us out, we'd be one of the hottest teams in the country. Plus, the committee would consider how hobbled we were at the beginning of the year and assume that was the reason for the "weird" losses. A team that is 12-6 in the best (or 2nd best?) conference in the country is verrrrry hard to keep out in my opinion. Especially if we add an ACC tourney win or two.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I have no real expectation that we will have any post season play

But it sure is a lot better to have a little hope that there is at least a crack in the door and we are playing better

I've been called a lot worse than irrational :cool:

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
We beat 2 teams we probably shouldn't have, which in my mind is a sign the rebuild is going in the correct direction. Having ND's 2 best players out helped us a bit but that's going in the good win category in March. Northwestern is a good win also. We have 2 really bad losses, and the Wofford loss won't hurt us all that much. I think if we go 11-7 in the ACC which means 9 more wins giving us at a minimum 2 more really good wins to our resume we'll be fine. A bubble team at least and if we win one ACCT game we'll be in. Something to keep in mind: we've only been over .500 in the ACC once since 2001 (as far back as I cared to look) and that was the National Championship run where we were 9-7. This team isn't as good as that team. We'll need some luck to continue this conversation but I'll be ecstatic if we're 3-1 after this weekend.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I don't know if I would call Northwestern a good win. They sit at 11-7 right now which is far below expectations. Though they did boat race Minnesota last night.