Article Wed against ND is 'Level Up Night"

• Highlight

Preview: Georgia Tech vs Notre Dame

It’s caught by Devonta Smith for an Alabaaaaama touchdown!! As Alabama’s confetti fell in Mercedes Benz Stadium last night, the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets basketball team was resting up for the always tough Notre Dame Fighting Irish that are coming to town. The Irish are 12-3 on the season with losses to Ball State and Indiana (both by 3) along with a 63-81 loss to Michigan State. Unfortunately for Notre Dame, that is not the biggest loss of the season. Instead that comes in the form of losing last year’s ACC Player of the Year, Bonzie Colston for 8 weeks with a foot fracture. Senior guard and fellow upperclassmen Matt Farrell is also expected to be unavailable for the game (ankle), but who knows, Notre Dame could pull a Coach Pastner and he suits up and plays. I don’t expect them to make that move with more important long-term postseason thoughts, but you never know.

In his 18th year as the lead man at Notre Dame is Coach Mike Brey. He is highly considered as one of the greatest coaches in college hoops right now and one of the inspirations of Coach Pastner’s “get old, stay old” philosophies….and boy does Brey do an excellent job of it.

Without Colson and Farrell on the court to provide that senior leadership, Coach Brey will turn to a fellow upperclassman who stands 6’6” out of Mater Dei High School #0, Rex Pflueger. Not only does his name sound like a cousin of a super-villain but it is also a pain to spell out. A “f” after a “p” seriously, come on guy. Even though his hair and name are annoying, he is a really really solid basketball player. Was the second “really” necessary? Yeah, probably not, but I don’t want you fooled. Pflueger rarely comes out of the game, and will be trusted to do a plethora of things for the Irish. He hits the open shot, grabs the tough rebound, makes the extra pass to his teammates, and will give up his body for a charge (a Notre Dame player taking a charge..you don’t say?). He will more than likely get his 14 points and 7 rebounds, while playing solid hard defense. Tech just can’t let him get fired up and start making crazy shots/plays. If you keep him in a supporting role, you can be successful.

Baller Alert: The 6’3” sophomore out of Scotch Plains, New Jersey is #10, T.J. Gibbs Jr. This young guard is amazing on the offensive end and can shoot it from anywhere. I honestly do not know why he isn’t getting more recognition nationally. To me, he reminds me of the NBA rookie who is taking the league by storm, Donovan Mitchell. I would be interested to see who you guys/gals would compare his game to. Gibbs is averaging 14.8 points per game this season but will be able to add onto that without Colson and Farrell taking shots. He can go off for 30 and easily take over the game, and I am a little nervous he does. For some reason I cannot get the image of him nailing that back side three over and over. <insert PA Announcer in soft voice> “Gibbs for three…again.”

For Notre Dame, the next couple of words are rarely linked together: the impact freshman standing 6’6″ out of Bowie, Maryland #3, DJ Harvey. He already has the body for the ACC and the mindset to go along with it. He has no problem shooting the ball, even if there is a better option or his shots aren’t falling. In my opinion this is the guy Tech should force to beat them. Put the pressure on the talented but unproven freshman on the road in the Thrillerdome (trademark pending, I feel like this will catch on).

With an even bigger role down on the block with Bonzie out is the 6’10” senior from Vilnius, Lithuania #23, Martinas Geben. Not only is this guy from the same country that is hosting Peac’s favorite family, he is also the fifth European player to play for Brey at Notre Dame. He is averaging 8 points and 7 rebounds on the year and he plays as you might imagine. Big and strong, he hits the boards hard and hits the defenders with screens even harder. They like to get him the ball at the high post and do pick/ball hand-offs to the scorers on the wing for an easy shot. This is a game where Ben Lammers will need his healthy legs to grab those boards, because you know that Geben will be making contact trying to box out.

The Fighting Irish will also turn to a duo of upperclassmen #12, Elijah Burns and #1, Austin Torres. Out of the two Burns is by far more of the scoring threat while Torres is a graduate transfer that is straight energy, and it doesn’t matter if it’s off the bench or starting as he goes all out. The final key piece for the Irish is the 6’9” sophomore big #33, John Mooney. He is still young but can stretch the floor and has the body to compete down low.

Prediction: This game is set up for Lammers to have a nice game if his mid-range shot is falling. AD will be posting up on the block or at the top of the key to get Geben to guard him, which means Lammers will have someone smaller guarding him. Therefore Ben can easily shoot over whoever with a normal jumper or a vintage Dirk’Lammers fadeaway. I feel like Alvarado can get some back-side poke away steals from Harvey in transition and Tech runs the floor for a basket. *paging a Tadric euro step finish*. I keep wanting to pick Notre Dame because of all the talent they have, but I also can’t get over how well we play in ACC games at home. So, it basically came down to one thing. Josh Okogie. We have him, they don’t. Pretty deep analysis there, huh? Gibbs Jr. step over, the real sophomore baller is comin’ through. Okogie drops 36 and Techs wins by 5.

Last edited:

KeystoneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Once they lost to Grambling I readjusted my expectations. I felt being at least .500 would keep the program on a good trajectory.

glandon1960

Jolly Good Fellow
Last night observations - I agree with all the defensive effort was really good. Notre Dame does as good a job as anybody at spacing and timing cuts ... that coupled with stacking the baseline (where this zone is weakest) led to some easy baskets .. but overall they ended up with a lot of tough shots ... and Lammers/AD made them change several shots when they penetrated.

Offense - still worried and work in progress ... has gotten better ... but when compared to last years team at this stage of the year ... the ball often 'sticks' in one place too long - players (even Tadric and Josh, especially Jose and AD) tend to hold the ball a couple seconds and wait for something rather than keep it moving if nothing is there ... leads to too many one on one plays (and harder shots) and having to force things late in the shot clock. Still too much dribbling - but that has gotten better since early in the season. Having Hayward back will definitely help spread the court and open more driving lanes once he is close to 100 percent.

Not sure we win if Farrell and Colson played ... but still a good win. I think ND is better defensively without them, but no where near as good offensively. JO really did nice job shutting down Pflueger - and loved the students harrassing him all night.

Students were great last night - best atmosphere in McCamish this season - ND fan sitting next to me said he was impressed ... and the 'full band' (not the usual pep band) was really loud!

As for post season ... even NIT this year will beat any expectation I have - last year was probably the most over-achieving team we will ever see (and it was fun) ... 12-6 in ACC may get you in the dance, but is probably not possible (will still hope) - I would be happy with 8-10 as we're a year or two away from having enough talent to compete with the big boys night in and night out... just want to see steady improvement in the freshman, and team playing hard and being competitive.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Regardless of how we end the season (and I brought up the NIT), I think Pastner will have our best performing men's program in 2 or 3 years. (Baseball will be second. :rolleyes:)

I think we beat Pitt and then go through a dry spell even if we play better basketball than we did last night. But it's about the journey and I like the optimism of the basketball programs. (Men's and women's.)

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
It doesn't always happen like that, but I'd say that last night work out about how I expected it too. Notre Dame played tough and scrapped throughout. I didn't think that they would lay down for us.

Outside of a couple of nice stretches, I didn't think that we played all that well. We played good defense throughout, and that saved us, but I don't think that it was one of our better offensive games.

Nonetheless, a win is a win and hopefully we can go on the road and take care of business against Pitt. That sets up for a big time game against UVA.

had we came out in the 2nd half like we ended the first..... it would have been a blow out of 20+ imo. we came out flat with no energy and allowed them back into the game in the first minutes of the 2nd half as i saw it.

we were the proverbial corner playing 7 yards off the ball (lots of cushion) at that point. it wasnt until they nearly tied it that we regained some of our intensity.

given all that this team has gone through including the movement towards youth ive found that i have ENJOYED seeing the vast improvement from say our wright state game to how we are playing now. at time i gush as some of the plays we make. i love our FRESHMAN point guard.

from this point forward... unless something drastic happens i see us over achieving like we did last year. that bodes well for future recruiting. we are a program on the rise!

go jackets

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Pastner is being paid $1.7MM this year. He is also is getting $625K form Memphis this season - part of a 2 yr $1.255M payoff.
$1.7M is a little below the median for an ACC coach.
Here is a good article looking at his contract.
https://www.fromtherumbleseat.com/g...ract-salary-buyout-georgia-tech-mike-bobinski

Note he was given a one year extension after last season, but i haven't heard anything bout it changing the salary or buyout terms.

Keep in mind that the buyout for Gregory ($500K) ends this spring and the buyout for Hewitt ($800K) ends next spring.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We play in the best basketball conference in the country. The loss is unacceptable

That one will come back to haunt.. We had all of our guys for that one. While banged up and just back for some, it is a game we should have one.

Our walk-ons should have been able to beat Grambling State. If we even sniff the tourney, we'll look back and regret those two.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, while you can blame Braine for the perpetual rollover. You can blame Drad for how long it is taking to pay off Hewitt.
Hewitt's original buyout was 5 yrs, $1.4M per yr.
Drad renegotiated it when he fired Hewitt to a 8 yr, 900K per yr buyout.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I didn't know that. So he gave the guy and extra $200K for an extra 3 years payout. Least it wasn't due within 60 days like Sumlin's buyout at A&M...

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
While I seriously doubt we would've won if they had Farrell and Colson. That said, a conference win is a conference win and you don't apologize for getting them

We should beat Pitt. If we don't, I fear @Peacone36 is right and Hopeless Despair will return.