Article Wed against ND is 'Level Up Night"

• Highlight

Preview: Georgia Tech vs Notre Dame

It’s caught by Devonta Smith for an Alabaaaaama touchdown!! As Alabama’s confetti fell in Mercedes Benz Stadium last night, the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets basketball team was resting up for the always tough Notre Dame Fighting Irish that are coming to town. The Irish are 12-3 on the season with losses to Ball State and Indiana (both by 3) along with a 63-81 loss to Michigan State. Unfortunately for Notre Dame, that is not the biggest loss of the season. Instead that comes in the form of losing last year’s ACC Player of the Year, Bonzie Colston for 8 weeks with a foot fracture. Senior guard and fellow upperclassmen Matt Farrell is also expected to be unavailable for the game (ankle), but who knows, Notre Dame could pull a Coach Pastner and he suits up and plays. I don’t expect them to make that move with more important long-term postseason thoughts, but you never know.

In his 18th year as the lead man at Notre Dame is Coach Mike Brey. He is highly considered as one of the greatest coaches in college hoops right now and one of the inspirations of Coach Pastner’s “get old, stay old” philosophies….and boy does Brey do an excellent job of it.

Without Colson and Farrell on the court to provide that senior leadership, Coach Brey will turn to a fellow upperclassman who stands 6’6” out of Mater Dei High School #0, Rex Pflueger. Not only does his name sound like a cousin of a super-villain but it is also a pain to spell out. A “f” after a “p” seriously, come on guy. Even though his hair and name are annoying, he is a really really solid basketball player. Was the second “really” necessary? Yeah, probably not, but I don’t want you fooled. Pflueger rarely comes out of the game, and will be trusted to do a plethora of things for the Irish. He hits the open shot, grabs the tough rebound, makes the extra pass to his teammates, and will give up his body for a charge (a Notre Dame player taking a charge..you don’t say?). He will more than likely get his 14 points and 7 rebounds, while playing solid hard defense. Tech just can’t let him get fired up and start making crazy shots/plays. If you keep him in a supporting role, you can be successful.

Baller Alert: The 6’3” sophomore out of Scotch Plains, New Jersey is #10, T.J. Gibbs Jr. This young guard is amazing on the offensive end and can shoot it from anywhere. I honestly do not know why he isn’t getting more recognition nationally. To me, he reminds me of the NBA rookie who is taking the league by storm, Donovan Mitchell. I would be interested to see who you guys/gals would compare his game to. Gibbs is averaging 14.8 points per game this season but will be able to add onto that without Colson and Farrell taking shots. He can go off for 30 and easily take over the game, and I am a little nervous he does. For some reason I cannot get the image of him nailing that back side three over and over. <insert PA Announcer in soft voice> “Gibbs for three…again.”

For Notre Dame, the next couple of words are rarely linked together: the impact freshman standing 6’6″ out of Bowie, Maryland #3, DJ Harvey. He already has the body for the ACC and the mindset to go along with it. He has no problem shooting the ball, even if there is a better option or his shots aren’t falling. In my opinion this is the guy Tech should force to beat them. Put the pressure on the talented but unproven freshman on the road in the Thrillerdome (trademark pending, I feel like this will catch on).

With an even bigger role down on the block with Bonzie out is the 6’10” senior from Vilnius, Lithuania #23, Martinas Geben. Not only is this guy from the same country that is hosting Peac’s favorite family, he is also the fifth European player to play for Brey at Notre Dame. He is averaging 8 points and 7 rebounds on the year and he plays as you might imagine. Big and strong, he hits the boards hard and hits the defenders with screens even harder. They like to get him the ball at the high post and do pick/ball hand-offs to the scorers on the wing for an easy shot. This is a game where Ben Lammers will need his healthy legs to grab those boards, because you know that Geben will be making contact trying to box out.

The Fighting Irish will also turn to a duo of upperclassmen #12, Elijah Burns and #1, Austin Torres. Out of the two Burns is by far more of the scoring threat while Torres is a graduate transfer that is straight energy, and it doesn’t matter if it’s off the bench or starting as he goes all out. The final key piece for the Irish is the 6’9” sophomore big #33, John Mooney. He is still young but can stretch the floor and has the body to compete down low.

Prediction: This game is set up for Lammers to have a nice game if his mid-range shot is falling. AD will be posting up on the block or at the top of the key to get Geben to guard him, which means Lammers will have someone smaller guarding him. Therefore Ben can easily shoot over whoever with a normal jumper or a vintage Dirk’Lammers fadeaway. I feel like Alvarado can get some back-side poke away steals from Harvey in transition and Tech runs the floor for a basket. *paging a Tadric euro step finish*. I keep wanting to pick Notre Dame because of all the talent they have, but I also can’t get over how well we play in ACC games at home. So, it basically came down to one thing. Josh Okogie. We have him, they don’t. Pretty deep analysis there, huh? Gibbs Jr. step over, the real sophomore baller is comin’ through. Okogie drops 36 and Techs wins by 5.

Last edited:

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Monday, January 8, 2018

Georgia Tech Basketball Announces “Level Up Night”

More than $2,000 worth of video game systems to be given away Wednesday night vs. Notre Dame

THE FLATS – Georgia Tech is holding “Level Up Night” for its men’s basketball game against Atlantic Coast Conference foe Notre Dame at 7 p.m. Wednesday night at McCamish Pavilion.

Purchase tickets | Student tickets

More than $2,000 worth of video game systems will be given away at the game, while free commemorative 8-bit posters will be offered to the first 1,000 fans into the arena, where the Yellow Jackets (8-7, 1-1 ACC) will look to even the season series against the Fighting Irish (13-3, 3-0 ACC). Tech has won three of its last four games, and Notre Dame has won five in a row.

Tickets remain available starting at $25, and students can now claim tickets to the game (see links above). Once capacity is reached in the student section via online claims, a standby line will be created at the West Entrance to McCamish. If capacity remains in the student section, students will be admitted after tip-off from the standby line.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, both Colson and Farrell are out for ND Wednesday. Sounds like Farrell is likely out for at least 2 more weeks.

They beat cuse w/out them. But that's cuse lol. We boatrace the domers (before the fish eating season begins).

Just My 2cents; Go Jackets; MikeJackets

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, both Colson and Farrell are out for ND Wednesday. Sounds like Farrell is likely out for at least 2 more weeks.

Surprising, they were talking during the Syracuse game that Farrell might be a go or game time decision for Wednesday night

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Brey said in his PC yesterday that Farrell was out for GT and extremely unlikely for UNC.
The word coming out of South Bend right now appears to be they are hoping he might return for Clemson.
Apparently the ankle looked really bad the day after the NCST game.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If we allow Rex Pflueger and his surfer hair to hoist 3's and beat us, my head will explode. Hopefully we show killer instinct and come out with a lot of energy on them.

This is a game that we should win without Colson & Farrell. This promotion should allow for a large student turnout. Let's see the ThrillerDome rockin!

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
On offense, Notre Dame looked like you would expect without Colson and Ferrell against Syracuse. In other words, they were horrible. 51 points for the game and couldn't create nor hit the broad side of a barn from deep.

On defense, they're probably as good without their two best. Against Syracuse they played physical on the glass on both ends, Syracuse did not respond and that created extra possessions. They also played a lot of zone and made a concerted effort to allow bad shooters to shoot.

If we match ND physically on the boards, execute on offense without wasting possessions (i.e., limit bad shots from bad shooters), we should be ok in this one at home. We are worse than Cuse on D, but maybe Lammers continues to get healthy and gives us a lift to wipe out some easy shots. We should be less than 5 point dogs at worst, imo, maybe even a push/slight fav.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think that we will be favored.. If nothing else due to the public's perception that ND is missing their two best players for the game.

Let me put it a different way, if we are underdogs tomorrow night, I'll empty my bank account placing a max bet.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
ND looks far better on defense without Bonzie, who is a truly horrible defender. Their rebounding vs Cuse was as relentless as I have seen from a Brey team

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
On offense, Notre Dame looked like you would expect without Colson and Ferrell against Syracuse. In other words, they were horrible. 51 points for the game and couldn't create nor hit the broad side of a barn from deep.

On defense, they're probably as good without their two best. Against Syracuse they played physical on the glass on both ends, Syracuse did not respond and that created extra possessions. They also played a lot of zone and made a concerted effort to allow bad shooters to shoot.

If we match ND physically on the boards, execute on offense without wasting possessions (i.e., limit bad shots from bad shooters), we should be ok in this one at home. We are worse than Cuse on D, but maybe Lammers continues to get healthy and gives us a lift to wipe out some easy shots. We should be less than 5 point dogs at worst, imo, maybe even a push/slight fav.

In the first half, everyone not named TJ Gibbs went 1-19.......and they still won.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I think that we will be favored.. If nothing else due to the public's perception that ND is missing their two best players for the game.

Let me put it a different way, if we are underdogs tomorrow night, I'll empty my bank account placing a max bet.
You may be right. I have two conflicting thoughts.

1) Syracuse was favored by 5.5 at home without ND's 2 best players. Syracuse looked like a tourney team up until that point, which I would not say about GT. So from this angle, I'd expect GT to be favored by < 5 or a dog.

2) That said if the game were replayed, I bet Syracuse would be favored by more than 5.5 at home, despite the outcome on Saturday. ND looked that bad, and Syracuse hit their low point on O for the season.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Cuse, you're probably right. It will likely be a pick'em game - if there is a favorite either way, it won't be by much.

We all agree that we really need this victory against ND. My guess is that we will see A+ effort wise, High - energy fueled by a large crowd, winning 50/50 balls) from start to finish.

As you stated, if we hold them to 51, we should get a big W.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
You may be right. I have two conflicting thoughts.

1) Syracuse was favored by 5.5 at home without ND's 2 best players. Syracuse looked like a tourney team up until that point, which I would not say about GT. So from this angle, I'd expect GT to be favored by < 5 or a dog.

2) That said if the game were replayed, I bet Syracuse would be favored by more than 5.5 at home, despite the outcome on Saturday. ND looked that bad, and Syracuse hit their low point on O for the season.

Consecutive losses to Wake and home against a depleted ND is not a good look, I agree that was not a typical Cuse game though, that was by far the worst I saw them play all season.

We should be favored by 3.5 or so at home I’d bet. Agreed with @connell62 thst if we are the dog you bet the farm

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
This is a pretty massive game for us. Win this and (don't look now) you have a shot to go 3-1 in the league with Pittsburgh coming up this weekend. I never underestimate the power of momentum, especially with a young team. If we can rip off a few in a row, I think it'd do great things for this team's confidence.

Not to mention classes are back in session, so the student section should be filled up tomorrow night. Should be a fun environment.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
When you get an opportunity like ND without their top 2 and really core players - you have to - I mean HAVE TO jump on it.
I am not sure whether we will be favored or not but if we have any shot in hadies of playing post season anywhere this becomes a must win.
Hopefully Haywood can play 15 - 20 min and open up the floor some. I have a feeling this is going to be a low scoring game with both teams in zone defenses making perimeter shooting a premium.
Got a good feeling about this one but they have to play the way they can - not the way they have OOC.

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
Consecutive losses to Wake and home against a depleted ND is not a good look, I agree that was not a typical Cuse game though, that was by far the worst I saw them play all season.

We should be favored by 3.5 or so at home I’d bet. Agreed with @connell62 thst if we are the dog you bet the farm

Vegas Insider has us at -1.