We overhyped Mills...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Guys as I said on another Thread, yes Mills loss is not good but I agree, it was a wait and see. Marshall was a better running back last year. His numbers prove it. Could Mills have been something, who knows. But I will tell you this from my observations, He was know Eddie Lee, Robert Lavette or Jerry Mays. Nor Dwyer. He lacked top end speed which I promise you would have kept him out of the NFL. He looked to be about a 4.7 guy. Will we hurt without him, maybe, but I was more concerned when we lost Marshall.

If you're looking at yards/carry, you're right ... by a good bit. However, you have to remember (iirc) that CPJ praised MM for what he could do with the ball in his hands. I think DM won the starting job for being able to also block etc.

ETA: I see I understood you correctly.

How would Marshall have faired from the 3 yard line? Think he drags four guys in with him against Clemson? Georgia? ...the guy was very good. Marshall was also very good... just ina much different way.
Um, go to You tube and turn on the Georgia game, last drive. Marshall twice ran through the half the Georgia Defense

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
DM/MM could have been the next Laskey/Days and eclipse them. Sigh... *Tears*

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
I just don't get how a 700 yard Freshman is a heisman candidate in the eyes of GT fans. So Dedrick was better than Calvin? GTFO.
Could've been if he played with us 3-4 years. Dude has crazy potential. Howard looks to have good size too, so hopefully he can help carry the load.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Mills 152 carries 771 yards 5.1 YPC
Marshall 96 carries 621 yards 6.5 YPC.
That's what proves out, YPC.

A great number of teams have a RB2 with a higher YPC average (including the mutts), but that doesn't make them better. For one, a RB does a lot more than run with the football. For another, especially for us IMO, consistency means more than busting the long ones. Aside from that, you could certainly have an argument that Marshall was better than Mills last year, but that doesn't mean that he would be this year. Unfortunately, all these arguments are academic because they are both history.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Mills 152 carries 771 yards 5.1 YPC
Marshall 96 carries 621 yards 6.5 YPC.
That's what proves out, YPC.

By the way, here's the game by game comparison:
upload_2017-8-18_18-57-10.png

The first several games weren't so different. Then MM turned it on, especially by hitting big runs to up his average.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I saw a lot of potential in Mills but the fact is that in the eight games he played last year, he averaged 5.07 yards per carry while the other BBs averaged 5.06. Another fact is that he is gone along with Marshall, Dwyer, etc. We can lament his loss and second guess CPJ on the Marshall/Mills issue or we can start trying to get behind the guys that are actually still on the team. Go Benson, Weimerskirtch, Howard, and Swilling!!!!

I truly do hope that DM finds his way. I'm sure he is hurting in a bad way right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
I think he would've gone to the NFL after year three. Honestly thought he would be a heisman candidate this year and definitely the best back out of any team on our schedule.

Never, since I started watching Tech in 1990 have I been more excited to see a GT player take the field. I can't think of a more important player to be dismissed from any program off the top of my head.
That last section is a stretch IMO. If Oklahoma lost Mayfield, or if Louisville lost LJ, they would be in worse shape than us. We will be ok, no doubt in my mind...

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I always thought that Marshall was an AB playing out of position, just like Charles Perkins. I said that in 2015 when we were forced to play him at BB by injuries. He was fast as lightening, but you couldn't depend on him to get that 4 yards when you needed it. That's what you want in a BB. That's why - along with blocking - Mills beat him out in spring 2015. If we had been able to move him to AB last year with Mills at BB we would have had an unbeatable combination.

Oth, it sure would be nice to have him right now. He was getting the knack of the position; his Ugag game last year was a great performance by any BB standard. That he transferred after the season, however, showed pretty conclusively that his heart wasn't in it for the position.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
Everyone is so bitter about this. DM needed to mature, he didn't. He obviously wasn't ready for this responsibility. Time to move on.

Everyone is in panic mode like the season is over. DM was a really good RB but we have several really quality backs that were waiting behind him. It's pretty annoying to see everyone now bashing him like he wasn't good to begin with.

This is almost at the point of the QB discussion thread where I can hardly read posts because it's gotten so ridiculous.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
Didn't read the thread, absurd premise. Mills was a a perfect fit in our offense. It's retarded to hear the same people who say "trust cpj"/slurp it up and diminish mills and his impact.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Didn't read the thread, absurd premise. Mills was a a perfect fit in our offense. It's retarded to hear the same people who say "trust cpj"/slurp it up and diminish mills and his impact.
Never talked down on him just said he had 100 more yards on like 75 more carries than marshall, I didn't get the whole Big Man on campus Calvin Johnson thing. He was a decent BB not a heisman candidate.

Status
Not open for further replies.