We overhyped Mills...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
I've had a strange feeling all offseason about the mood of the fans regarding Dedrick after the tax slayer bowl. Everyone was expecting him to be the next Dwyer or even better. What maid it worse is Mills got the national attention something rare for a GT player as a sophomore. I've never said it on the swarm but I have always felt that Dedrick was a little overhyped. How good was Dedrick last year? 700+ yards and 12 touchdowns are impressive stats but you have to remember Marcus Marshall rushed for 600 for both of his 2 years at GT. Everyone is going to say well "Dedrick missed 4 games" but that was his fault. Dedrick rushed 152 times his Freshman year and only rushed for 771 yards, Marshall carried the ball 85 times for 649 yards as a freshman. Dedrick got Almost double the carries for only 122 more yards. Why was the hype train so big for Dedrick numbers wise he wasnt much better than Marshall as a freshman. Why did we think he was going to be such a monster I've always been confused by this. I'm probably going to get a lot of hate for this but I just don't get it. He would've been a good BB but I still think Marshall was better + Marshall didn't get in trouble. He left honestly because he was mad that coach started a freshman with off the field issues over him. I don't think the loss of Mills will have any impact over our W/L this year, call me dumb crazy whatever you want but I think we are just as good without him. We have plenty of talent at BB with Benson and Quaide, also the freshman Mason and Howard (Howard might take the starting spot) and if we need it we have Jordan-Swilling who was the #17 RB in the nation that chose to play LB. Am I upset about DM? Of course he was a great guy that loved the game, but am I gonna act like this is a rebuilding year now? No! We are a 9 win team that went 4-0 without Dedrick last year. We have 4 QBs that are good enough to start we are loaded with talent on defense the deepest DLine and Secondary we've ever had with Rnoof. I think this team is so much like 2014 it's scary, we are going to surprise a lot of people this year staring with the Volunqueers on September 4th (Sorry if that offends any one I just hate the Vols and their fans) It's time to stop pouting and get ready because toe meets leather in 17 days.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
He was a freshman last year and started, of course he's going to get hype. When has that happened at tech? He had a chance to lead this team to great things and possibly championships.... I think he had a chance to be that good, but now we'll never know.

The lack of indentation makes your one paragraph into a case of "tldr".

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I've had a strange feeling all offseason about the mood of the fans regarding Dedrick after the tax slayer bowl. Everyone was expecting him to be the next Dwyer or even better. What maid it worse is Mills got the national attention something rare for a GT player as a sophomore. I've never said it on the swarm but I have always felt that Dedrick was a little overhyped. How good was Dedrick last year? 700+ yards and 12 touchdowns are impressive stats but you have to remember Marcus Marshall rushed for 600 for both of his 2 years at GT. Everyone is going to say well "Dedrick missed 4 games" but that was his fault. Dedrick rushed 152 times his Freshman year and only rushed for 771 yards, Marshall carried the ball 85 times for 649 yards as a freshman. Dedrick got Almost double the carries for only 122 more yards. Why was the hype train so big for Dedrick numbers wise he wasnt much better than Marshall as a freshman. Why did we think he was going to be such a monster I've always been confused by this. I'm probably going to get a lot of hate for this but I just don't get it. He would've been a good BB but I still think Marshall was better + Marshall didn't get in trouble. He left honestly because he was mad that coach started a freshman with off the field issues over him. I don't think the loss of Mills will have any impact over our W/L this year, call me dumb crazy whatever you want but I think we are just as good without him. We have plenty of talent at BB with Benson and Quaide, also the freshman Mason and Howard (Howard might take the starting spot) and if we need it we have Jordan-Swilling who was the #17 RB in the nation that chose to play LB. Am I upset about DM? Of course he was a great guy that loved the game, but am I gonna act like this is a rebuilding year now? No! We are a 9 win team that went 4-0 without Dedrick last year. We have 4 QBs that are good enough to start we are loaded with talent on defense the deepest DLine and Secondary we've ever had with Rnoof. I think this team is so much like 2014 it's scary, we are going to surprise a lot of people this year staring with the Volunqueers on September 4th (Sorry if that offends any one I just hate the Vols and their fans) It's time to stop pouting and get ready because toe meets leather in 17 days.
If you insist, you are dumb and crazy. Awfully easy to fall into the trap of "we never liked him that much anyway" when in fact we did. But at least Johnson has struck a blow for East Mississippi Community College, whose motto is "Your mistakes are our gate."

crl85

Jolly Good Fellow
I think he would've gone to the NFL after year three. Honestly thought he would be a heisman candidate this year and definitely the best back out of any team on our schedule.

Never, since I started watching Tech in 1990 have I been more excited to see a GT player take the field. I can't think of a more important player to be dismissed from any program off the top of my head.

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
No, we didn't overhype Dedrick. He deserved the amount of hype we gave him. He was a monster to try and tackle, and had only gotten better from game to game, and would continue to grow throughout the course of his career. He was likely going to be one of the best running backs Tech had ever seen. It's a shame that it turned out the way it did, but despite the loss of a tremendous player Tech is still going to be fine. It's a team sport, after all

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
No we didn't.
I agree it isn't catastrophic because we have talented guys there, but Dedrick Mills is a damn good football player. No need to disrespect his game.
We will succeed despite his absence, not because of it.

Guys as I said on another Thread, yes Mills loss is not good but I agree, it was a wait and see. Marshall was a better running back last year. His numbers prove it. Could Mills have been something, who knows. But I will tell you this from my observations, He was know Eddie Lee, Robert Lavette or Jerry Mays. Nor Dwyer. He lacked top end speed which I promise you would have kept him out of the NFL. He looked to be about a 4.7 guy. Will we hurt without him, maybe, but I was more concerned when we lost Marshall.

crl85

Jolly Good Fellow
Guys as I said on another Thread, yes Mills loss is not good but I agree, it was a wait and see. Marshall was a better running back last year. His numbers prove it. Could Mills have been something, who knows. But I will tell you this from my observations, He was know Eddie Lee, Robert Lavette or Jerry Mays. Nor Dwyer. He lacked top end speed which I promise you would have kept him out of the NFL. He looked to be about a 4.7 guy. Will we hurt without him, maybe, but I was more concerned when we lost Marshall.
How did his numbers prove it? Didn't mills end the year with more yards while playing in 3 fewer games than Marshall?

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
I for one was hyped because of his bruising running style. He would get hit in the backfield and still gain yardage. He would drag multiple defenders into the endzone. This one hurts big time. I was just thinking a couple of days ago that I can't believe we have gotten over the hump and been able to keep a really good BB. No Custis happening this year... Guess I jinxed us.

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
People are leaping to illogical conclusions to try and justify this loss. Don't. It hurts, yes. He was a tremendous player, yes. He was not overhyped. We will be fine in the end. He's one player, one part of a system, one cog in the machine. It doesn't all break down because one player made a bad choice. He was one injury away from being out the rest of the season - this is no different. We won every game Dedrick missed last season, including an upset of Virginia Tech. Nobody is indispensable. Tech will open against Tennessee on Labor Day. Look forward to that, and let's put this event behind us

Status
Not open for further replies.