We need to jump ship

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I could care less about baseball

but ND is way worse off? 2021 11-2 , 2020 10-2 , 2019 11-2 damn I wish we were that bad.

who can’t get elite players anymore ? 2022 ranked 7 , 2021 ranked 9 2020 ranked 18 you may want to look at the 2020 signing class https://247sports.com/college/notre-dame/Season/2020-Football/Commits/
ND pours resources into a program that wins nothing of any significance. Sure they win some games but big whoopsie. And don’t give me recruiting rankings. They could be #1 in recruiting and would still lose the first real game they play. Here’s who they beat last year - FSU by 3. Seriously, this juggernaut beat a high school team by 3. Purdue, USC, Navy, UVA, GT, UNC, Toledo, and Wisconsin, and Stanford. The 2 teams with a pulse beat them - Cincy and Okie St. They play nobody every year. Y’all hate ESPN because they pump up the SEC in your minds, yet the only reason ND is relevant today is because of NBC not because of their play on the field.

JacketFan137

Banned
ND pours resources into a program that wins nothing of any significance. Sure they win some games but big whoopsie. And don’t give me recruiting rankings. They could be #1 in recruiting and would still lose the first real game they play. Here’s who they beat last year - FSU by 3. Seriously, this juggernaut beat a high school team by 3. Purdue, USC, Navy, UVA, GT, UNC, Toledo, and Wisconsin, and Stanford. The 2 teams with a pulse beat them - Cincy and Okie St. They play nobody every year. Y’all hate ESPN because they pump up the SEC in your minds, yet the only reason ND is relevant today is because of NBC not because of their play on the field.
i don’t think you can say notre dame plays nobody every year. a little bit of a stretch. they also only play fbs teams. also they’re relevant because they’ve been a top 10 team pretty consistently and not too many other programs can say that.

sure, they’re not bama, uga, clemson, ohio state or oklahoma but they’re better than like 95% or the FBS teams lol.

idk if our program could ever reach those heights at the consistency notre dame does because of our issues like money and academics. should we just give up because notre dame isn’t even relevant? seems like you’re being overly harsh on them

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
You have some incredibly bad takes lol.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Ok you don't want facts then don't give us your opinion .

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
You know me 90% of our fans would love it, but the SEC would not take us we would not bring anything to them. The only way anything could happen is the SEC and Big10 both go to 20 or 24 teams and the Pac12, Big 12 and the ACC fold and divide up to make 2 new conferences. And would this be good?
I hate riding shotgun on a driverless coach, and honestly I do not look for reasons to bash the head football coach guy. As long as we settle for such coaches it makes no nevermind anyhow. I have never been so discouraged about my rooting interests --and Ihave been a lifelong Dodgers' fan, God, it hurts to even write it, and this from a guy who QB'd his HS football team to nine straight losses and did not have Collins to explain them away.It makes me ashamed all these years later. (One team beat us 72-0 but it wasn't their fault, they ran out of time.)

We would have shellacked a Collins team. So let's just play anybody.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Ha ha. I know it may be a bad take but seriously, everyone is saying how the sport is broke and you have the haves and have nots. In reality you have 3 legit teams right now- Bama, UGA, and Ohio State. I simply used ND as an example of a school doing everything we wish GT could do and yet their fans are just as disappointed as we are except we are paying waaay less to be disappointed. Auburn dollar for dollar is worse than GT. They pump in huge bucks and still were around .500. FSU pumps in way more money and they are a bottom dweller. As for ND they, like us, are just going through the motions year after year. Sure, they have marginally better players and win more games but their fanbase is about as pumped up as we are. We know we’ll win 3-5 games next year. ND will win 8-10 games next year. And both fanbases will not be happy at the end of the season. We’ll just pay way less to be not happy.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I think the arguments for joining the B1G are philosophical.

It is a conference that is consistently more academic in nature and generally recruits solid students. There are fewer “shady” programs.

It would actually be easier to tell if your team was improving rather than winning moral victories over teams like Duke. The ACC overall seems to encourage sloppy play, whereas in the B1G iron sharpens iron. In that respect it would be more like the SEC but with integrity.

I honestly believe we would average an extra 5000 fans at every home game.

More people would see us on TV 😊 and even some of our own fans might be able to watch more often.

The money would be good. Ask Maryland, Nebraska and Rutgers if they have any regrets. Let’s not kid ourselves, the money would be good.

We would get a break from the almost daily bashing of the ACC and constant complaints about Tobacco Road and ACC leadership. No serious football fan ever makes fun of the B1G. They are a strong sports conference where most of the athletes can even read.

National media attention and exposure. Just. Think. About. That. I never saw articles about Rutgers before they joined the B1G. Currently I don’t see articles about Tech unless they are inside our bubble.

Midwestern folks are nice people. I married one. We would enjoy the class and civility they would bring into our stadium as visiting fans.

I have been hoping that the ACC would get its act together for decades. Maybe some day in the future they will. But if we had a chance in the meantime to join the B1G we would be grabbing our own destiny.
You can’t even read about GT in the Savannah, GEORGIA newspaper

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Much I could say but you and I are on the same wave length.

I will add that another tension for me is that sports can be an enjoyable distraction but if the heaviness of real world issues settles down on you too deeply the distractions no longer work. And interests get hollowed out. Almost a million dead Americans (2 were colleagues of mine) deep societal divisions, increasing meanness in public life and our inability to come together to solve problems all make the usual distractions feel a little phony or forced.

I have a son-in-law who was in the marching band at uga. Huge dawg fan. I’ve been meaning to ask him if winning the national championship was as exciting as he hoped it would be, if it was the distraction that he needed from what has been a hard three years for him with work and family and all the distressing political turmoil. Sports used to bring people together but I just don’t see as much of that anymore. Could be my age.

I would also be curious the last time people on this site closely followed the Olympics. Been a long time for me.
Funny that you mentioned the Olympics, I currently have it on but is really just background noise and every now and then I kind of pay attention to what's going on.
Just not the same excitement I used to get out of it years ago.

WhatsTheGoodWord

Georgia Tech Fan
Why? We would still play uga. We would also have much more money to compete.
You must be in Chicago. Northeast Jacket must be somewhere in the northeast. I see why you would like this. I live in Atlanta. GT is a southern school. Been a Tech fan for decades. I have zero interest in going to Minnesota or playing Indiana in Atlanta. I see no rivalries in this conference until we will have been in it for 40 years. Then, who? Purdue? Battle of the Engineers? I guess if y'all all want more money have at it. I might also remind you that in the vaunted B1G in the 21st century they have two championships from the same school, the ACC three with two schools, and Ohio State got gifted their first championship. Btw, I also lived in the midwest. Yes, many nice people, like everywhere, but some there can't get over southern stereotypes. Midwestern family values can sometimes just be narrow minded values.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
You must be in Chicago. Northeast Jacket must be somewhere in the northeast. I see why you would like this. I live in Atlanta. GT is a southern school. Been a Tech fan for decades. I have zero interest in going to Minnesota or playing Indiana in Atlanta. I see no rivalries in this conference until we will have been in it for 40 years. Then, who? Purdue? Battle of the Engineers? I guess if y'all all want more money have at it. I might also remind you that in the vaunted B1G in the 21st century they have two championships from the same school, the ACC three with two schools, and Ohio State got gifted their first championship. Btw, I also lived in the midwest. Yes, many nice people, like everywhere, but some there can't get over southern stereotypes. Midwestern family values can sometimes just be narrow minded values.
For the record, I live in Northeast Georgia.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
I think the arguments for joining the B1G are philosophical.

It is a conference that is consistently more academic in nature and generally recruits solid students. There are fewer “shady” programs.

It would actually be easier to tell if your team was improving rather than winning moral victories over teams like Duke. The ACC overall seems to encourage sloppy play, whereas in the B1G iron sharpens iron. In that respect it would be more like the SEC but with integrity.

I honestly believe we would average an extra 5000 fans at every home game.

More people would see us on TV 😊 and even some of our own fans might be able to watch more often.

The money would be good. Ask Maryland, Nebraska and Rutgers if they have any regrets. Let’s not kid ourselves, the money would be good.

We would get a break from the almost daily bashing of the ACC and constant complaints about Tobacco Road and ACC leadership. No serious football fan ever makes fun of the B1G. They are a strong sports conference where most of the athletes can even read.

National media attention and exposure. Just. Think. About. That. I never saw articles about Rutgers before they joined the B1G. Currently I don’t see articles about Tech unless they are inside our bubble.

Midwestern folks are nice people. I married one. We would enjoy the class and civility they would bring into our stadium as visiting fans.

I have been hoping that the ACC would get its act together for decades. Maybe some day in the future they will. But if we had a chance in the meantime to join the B1G we would be grabbing our own destiny.
I think these are very valid points as to why Georgia Tech would be better off in the B1G. I'm not sure why there is so much flak against us moving to the B1G. It didn't make much sense to me as to why we didn't jump on the chance when we had it a few years ago. We all crap on the ACC and their favoritism of Tobacco Road, not to mention how they screwed us every year under CPJ with scheduling. It's obvious that the ACC cares only about a select few schools and they get the loudest voice in the room. It's also obvious that we don't have one of those loud voices. As far as rivalries, our only real historic "rival" in the ACC is Clempson. Yes, I know VPISU is considered a rivalry game, but that came about through them joining the conference. We would generate a few rivals based off joining the B1G and Purdue seems like the most obvious choice to replace VPISU as a "conference rival". It only seems right to shaft the ACC as they really don't care for us being a member.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I think these are very valid points as to why Georgia Tech would be better off in the B1G. I'm not sure why there is so much flak against us moving to the B1G. It didn't make much sense to me as to why we didn't jump on the chance when we had it a few years ago. We all crap on the ACC and their favoritism of Tobacco Road, not to mention how they screwed us every year under CPJ with scheduling. It's obvious that the ACC cares only about a select few schools and they get the loudest voice in the room. It's also obvious that we don't have one of those loud voices. As far as rivalries, our only real historic "rival" in the ACC is Clempson. Yes, I know VPISU is considered a rivalry game, but that came about through them joining the conference. We would generate a few rivals based off joining the B1G and Purdue seems like the most obvious choice to replace VPISU as a "conference rival". It only seems right to shaft the ACC as they really don't care for us being a member.
Thank you for caching my underlying point.

Nobody on this site actually likes the ACC. We remember the glory of “what once was” in basketball. We remember when Miami and FSU once attracted national attention to our conference. We remember when several programs used to fill their stadiums with fans. And every year we think maybe this is the year several coaches won’t get fired, will rise above mediocrity, and will avoid being ethically challenged. Meanwhile we conjecture endlessly about how the ACC can keep from falling ever further behind in revenue to the other conferences.

But discuss leaving and we get as nervous as a cat with a sore tail in a room full of rockers.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

Nobody on this site actually likes the ACC. We remember the glory of “what once was” in basketball. We remember when Miami and FSU once attracted national attention to our conference. We remember when several programs used to fill their stadiums with fans. And every year we think maybe this is the year several coaches won’t get fired, will rise above mediocrity, and will avoid being ethically challenged. Meanwhile we conjecture endlessly about how the ACC can keep from falling ever further behind in revenue to the other conferences.

But discuss leaving and we get as nervous as a cat with a sore tail in a room full of rockers.
I don't mind leaving the ACC, but it doesn't seem practical or even feasible any time in the near future. And sometimes it seems like we're pining about what we had or what we coulda, shoulda done (and I do that, too), without appreciating what we have. When I look at our attendance, fan base, and position (surrounded by major powers) I think we should thank our lucky stars we're P-5 at all. Yeah, maybe we shoulda jumped to the Big Thingy but it's water over the dam and we ought to have more appreciation for the conference we're in.

Whatever we aspire to can only be achieved if we get ourselves better and build our fan base. That mean just figuring out a way to win in the conference we're in now.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck

The ACC's best days are well in the rearview mirror. Adding FSU didn't work as intended, and they they sold their soul with the other additions. I miss a one day first round Friday ACC tournament. ACC basketball used to literally be must see TV. Didn't matter who was playing who, if it was a Tuesday night Raycom game you didn't want to miss it.

Better days...