We need to jump ship

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
I would also be curious the last time people on this site closely followed the Olympics. Been a long time for me.
My wife and I usually get excited for and watch a ton of the Olympic coverage. This year has been an exception. We were on vacation for the first week, but this whole thing with the Russian athletes getting banned and then just competing under the banner of the Russian Olympic Committee, and now this mess with the 15yr skater who tests positive for doping but hey, we'll let her compete but no medal ceremony if she wins....

yeah, I'll just skip the Olympics this year. Not to mention sending it back to Beijing isn't a great look in the first place...

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
My wife and I usually get excited for and watch a ton of the Olympic coverage. This year has been an exception. We were on vacation for the first week, but this whole thing with the Russian athletes getting banned and then just competing under the banner of the Russian Olympic Committee, and now this mess with the 15yr skater who tests positive for doping but hey, we'll let her compete but no medal ceremony if she wins....

yeah, I'll just skip the Olympics this year. Not to mention sending it back to Beijing isn't a great look in the first place...
This is the second time the ROC has competed in the Olympics and feels just as shady as the first time. I don’t want to become a cynic but so many things feel tainted any more.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Atlanta, over 5 Million people, grow your cable network, the heart of the SEC, The B1G would love to have their brand reach down here. A continual presence and thorn in the side of their biggest rival.

GT offers a lot.
Looks good on paper, but I wonder how many down here would watch the Big 10 or whatever they call it.
They'd get the Tech fans, but most are SEC fans, and it wouldn't move the needle for them.
It's like the ACC's move into Pennsylvania and New York. I don't think it worked out the way the conference hoped it would. Lots of potential viewers, but how many of them are tuned in?

On the other hand, if they had hope that Tech would get better, then Tech would be more attractive. Evidently, they were considering us at one time. But I think we have to get better first. We need to make the most of the 14 years between now and the time the ACC loses its grip, to get us into a better spot when the time comes.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Much I could say but you and I are on the same wave length.

I will add that another tension for me is that sports can be an enjoyable distraction but if the heaviness of real world issues settles down on you too deeply the distractions no longer work. And interests get hollowed out. Almost a million dead Americans (2 were colleagues of mine) deep societal divisions, increasing meanness in public life and our inability to come together to solve problems all make the usual distractions feel a little phony or forced.

I have a son-in-law who was in the marching band at uga. Huge dawg fan. I’ve been meaning to ask him if winning the national championship was as exciting as he hoped it would be, if it was the distraction that he needed from what has been a hard three years for him with work and family and all the distressing political turmoil. Sports used to bring people together but I just don’t see as much of that anymore. Could be my age.

I would also be curious the last time people on this site closely followed the Olympics. Been a long time for me.

This and and the last several posts are a smack in the face with a great big ol stick of perspective right there. Well said, very intuitive and I couldn’t agree more.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Atlanta, over 5 Million people, grow your cable network, the heart of the SEC, The B1G would love to have their brand reach down here. A continual presence and thorn in the side of their biggest rival.

GT offers a lot.
Not sure where you live but I live 40 miles north of Georgia Tech and the cable here has the Big 10 network.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

GT offers a lot.
A few years ago I did a study of where the Georgia Tech alumni are located and found that Texas Houston Dallas had the largest representation outside of Atl. I was doing the research for a Texas recruiting discussion. Since I lived in Houston and son coached hs football , I was aware how well the gt brand sold there. He helped me get a large group of Texas hs coaches to shrevport bowl . They were shocked to hear the new ga tech graduates over 90 percent of football players. They also didn't know we had a more non engineering classes. Also the intern program in ATL translates back to Texas and okc. I think a lot of gt grads don't know well the gt degree sets us apart in Texas etc. Most gt grads move up the corporate ladder.
Also there are tons of airline flights between ATL and Houston Dallas. We would fly up and back for meetings.

I think gt was made to be in the heart of the SEC. I can assure u the SEC fans of any stripe would come to BDS to see any SEC team play gt. In the 5000000 viewers in ATL there has to be way way more SEC fans than Big 12 fans. Our tickets are available and cheap while TAM, UT, OU are hard to get. They would come as well.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I want to see how an alliance of the B1G ACC and PAC10 could be leveraged against the SEC. Those conferences should have a game among each member every year for cross regional appeal and not schedule any SEC school. Let the SEC knock each other off. I would enjoy us playing Michigan Ohio state Penn State USCw UCLA etc occasionally. Visiting fan attendance would be smaller but tv would be interesting. Other parts of the country don't care about the SEC except a few hyped games by ESPN. It would require at least one fewer ACC conference game to do this. Notre Dame needs to decide where they fit. Let the SEC schedule a bunch of non P5 for OOC.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I want to see how an alliance of the B1G ACC and PAC10 could be leveraged against the SEC. Those conferences should have a game among each member every year for cross regional appeal and not schedule any SEC school. Let the SEC knock each other off. I would enjoy us playing Michigan Ohio state Penn State USCw UCLA etc occasionally. Visiting fan attendance would be smaller but tv would be interesting. Other parts of the country don't care about the SEC except a few hyped games by ESPN. It would require at least one fewer ACC conference game to do this. Notre Dame needs to decide where they fit. Let the SEC schedule a bunch of non P5 for OOC.
As I understand the Alliance, that is one of the objectives. 8 conference games and 4 ooc including 2 Alliance games.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
All Problems Settled As Follows:

Division 1: Top 32 teams in the country. Based on average national ranking for the past 10 years. Whatever. At the end of the season, they have an 4 or 8-team playoff for the D1 Title. Winner is National D1 Champion. Bottom two finishers in the league move down to D2 next year.

Division 2: Next 32 teams. They play for the D2 National Championship. Winner and runner up move up to D1 next year. Bottom two finishers move down to D3.

Division 3: You get the idea. Winner and runner-up move up. Biggest Loser and Runner-up move down.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat. Every. Year.

You want to move up? Build your program. Negotiate NIL deals. Recruit harder. You de-emphasize winning or make a bad hire? You move down.

ESPN pays for broadcast rights based on division status and money is split equally among the teams for that year only. And oh, btw, in this scenario EVERY FAN BASE HAS A VESTED INTEREST in the win-loss record of his team because that not only gives you a shot at the title but at moving up. And even games at the bottom of the standings become crucial because no one wants to move DOWN, either.

English Football. That's how it works.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
I love the European soccer system of promotion and relegation, but I think there is too much money entrenched to implement that right now. College football will have to lose viewership, money and interest before something as drastic, and I think great, would be implemented

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

GT offers a lot.
Is this just you dreaming up an ideal situation or have you seen something (anything, anywhere, even a fan forum) that suggests the B1G is interested in inviting GT?

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
All Problems Settled As Follows:

Division 1: Top 32 teams in the country. Based on average national ranking for the past 10 years. Whatever. At the end of the season, they have an 4 or 8-team playoff for the D1 Title. Winner is National D1 Champion. Bottom two finishers in the league move down to D2 next year.

Division 2: Next 32 teams. They play for the D2 National Championship. Winner and runner up move up to D1 next year. Bottom two finishers move down to D3.

Division 3: You get the idea. Winner and runner-up move up. Biggest Loser and Runner-up move down.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat. Every. Year.

You want to move up? Build your program. Negotiate NIL deals. Recruit harder. You de-emphasize winning or make a bad hire? You move down.

ESPN pays for broadcast rights based on division status and money is split equally among the teams for that year only. And oh, btw, in this scenario EVERY FAN BASE HAS A VESTED INTEREST in the win-loss record of his team because that not only gives you a shot at the title but at moving up. And even games at the bottom of the standings become crucial because no one wants to move DOWN, either.

English Football. That's how it works.
So, this year we would lose Clemson, Ole Miss, Pitt, Miami and UGa from the schedule. No play between divisions would be the only way to count games on an equal basis.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
So, this year we would lose Clemson, Ole Miss, Pitt, Miami and UGa from the schedule. No play between divisions would be the only way to count games on an equal basis.
Agree. You could play inter-division games, but they wuld not count toward your division status. This would relegate us to G5 status from the opening gun. I wonder if the admin would try to move up. Another thing is what these divisions would mean for conferences and all the other sports.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Is this just you dreaming up an ideal situation or have you seen something (anything, anywhere, even a fan forum) that suggests the B1G is interested in inviting GT?

There has been smoke about GT to the B1G for over 10 years. I don't have 1st hand information to know if we were ever extended an invite, but there appeared to be very significant interest in us. Below is literally the first article you can find by a quick google search, it complies some of the sources where the smoke came from. There is a lot more if you care to look.

Personally I want a strong ACC, I think we fit into this culture. But the only way in my opinion that the ACC survives is with Notre Dame joining completely and maybe we need one more big brand. We need bigger brands, with bigger fan bases to generate the interest that will result in more money. We need a strong FSU, we need VaTech, Miami and GT to get much better, and be those teams on a national level. Hell if UNC ever woke up, they could be giant in college football. But all they care about is being pretentious and talking about how life was better when the ACC tournament never left Greensboro.

To compete going forward in the current environment, we are going to need a lot more money. Miami is finally realizing you can't just rely on past glory, and they are pouring money into their program.

The article that I put in my very first post, is the first good look in the immediate finances of each conference. We will be over 100 million dollars below the payouts over the next 5 years. There is simply no way to compete when it comes to support staff, weight rooms, Athletic housing, lounges, recovery plans, NIL deals, head coach packages..etc with that large of a difference.

Our best way forward is jump ship to the B1G if they will take us.