We need to jump ship

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
There has been smoke about GT to the B1G for over 10 years. I don't have 1st hand information to know if we were ever extended an invite, but there appeared to be very significant interest in us. Below is literally the first article you can find by a quick google search, it complies some of the sources where the smoke came from. There is a lot more if you care to look.

Personally I want a strong ACC, I think we fit into this culture. But the only way in my opinion that the ACC survives is with Notre Dame joining completely and maybe we need one more big brand. We need bigger brands, with bigger fan bases to generate the interest that will result in more money. We need a strong FSU, we need VaTech, Miami and GT to get much better, and be those teams on a national level. Hell if UNC ever woke up, they could be giant in college football. But all they care about is being pretentious and talking about how life was better when the ACC tournament never left Greensboro.

To compete going forward in the current environment, we are going to need a lot more money. Miami is finally realizing you can't just rely on past glory, and they are pouring money into their program.

The article that I put in my very first post, is the first good look in the immediate finances of each conference. We will be over 100 million dollars below the payouts over the next 5 years. There is simply no way to compete when it comes to support staff, weight rooms, Athletic housing, lounges, recovery plans, NIL deals, head coach packages..etc with that large of a difference.

Our best way forward is jump ship to the B1G if they will take us.

Good lord, I commented about 14 times on that story back in 2012 and completely forgot about it until I clicked on the link and saw my FTRS handle. I sounded a lot smarter then. 😊

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
There has been smoke about GT to the B1G for over 10 years. I don't have 1st hand information to know if we were ever extended an invite, but there appeared to be very significant interest in us. Below is literally the first article you can find by a quick google search, it complies some of the sources where the smoke came from. There is a lot more if you care to look.

Personally I want a strong ACC, I think we fit into this culture. But the only way in my opinion that the ACC survives is with Notre Dame joining completely and maybe we need one more big brand. We need bigger brands, with bigger fan bases to generate the interest that will result in more money. We need a strong FSU, we need VaTech, Miami and GT to get much better, and be those teams on a national level. Hell if UNC ever woke up, they could be giant in college football. But all they care about is being pretentious and talking about how life was better when the ACC tournament never left Greensboro.

To compete going forward in the current environment, we are going to need a lot more money. Miami is finally realizing you can't just rely on past glory, and they are pouring money into their program.

The article that I put in my very first post, is the first good look in the immediate finances of each conference. We will be over 100 million dollars below the payouts over the next 5 years. There is simply no way to compete when it comes to support staff, weight rooms, Athletic housing, lounges, recovery plans, NIL deals, head coach packages..etc with that large of a difference.

Our best way forward is jump ship to the B1G if they will take us.

The only way the B1G is going to invite GT is if (and this is a huge if) the B1G's lawyers can think of a way to not donate a bunch of TV money to the ACC every time GT plays a home game. They could say that games played at MBS are away games for GT, but the ACC lawyers would likely salivate over that idea. They could agree to give the ACC GT's share of the B1G's TV deal, but award GT a signing bonus each year instead of a share of the TV money. Again, that wouldn't work either.

It just doesn't make sense. GT is not going anywhere without the TV money and the ACC is not going to forgive that clause in the GOR. These are smart people and no one is going to do something stupid with millions of dollars. Furthermore, I think the admin at GT decided that staying the ACC is what they want to do.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Again, some of you are thinking short sighted. The landscape won’t be the same in 3 years from now let alone 14. Have known of you heard about renegotiation? If you believe a TV contract will stop realignment over the next 14 years then there is noth8ng more I can say other than I’ll be here reminding you that there was no way anyone can leave until 2035 or something silly like that. Heck, the minute ND joins the ACC the entire contract will be renegotiated anyway.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
The only way the B1G is going to invite GT is if (and this is a huge if) the B1G's lawyers can think of a way to not donate a bunch of TV money to the ACC every time GT plays a home game. They could say that games played at MBS are away games for GT, but the ACC lawyers would likely salivate over that idea. They could agree to give the ACC GT's share of the B1G's TV deal, but award GT a signing bonus each year instead of a share of the TV money. Again, that wouldn't work either.

It just doesn't make sense. GT is not going anywhere without the TV money and the ACC is not going to forgive that clause in the GOR. These are smart people and no one is going to do something stupid with millions of dollars. Furthermore, I think the admin at GT decided that staying the ACC is what they want to do.
The ACC TV deal will get redone when/if ND joins after their NBC contract expires.....wait for it......2025. Thats the date to circle when the P5 conferences will play musical chairs again.(Texas Oklahoma to $ec) How it will all play out should be interesting. If ND doesn't join, expect the ACC to lose exponentially and be regulated down to G5

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
So, this year we would lose Clemson, Ole Miss, Pitt, Miami and UGa from the schedule. No play between divisions would be the only way to count games on an equal basis.
Rivalries, which are the backbone of college football, would go out the window along with fan interest.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Again, some of you are thinking short sighted. The landscape won’t be the same in 3 years from now let alone 14. Have known of you heard about renegotiation? If you believe a TV contract will stop realignment over the next 14 years then there is noth8ng more I can say other than I’ll be here reminding you that there was no way anyone can leave until 2035 or something silly like that. Heck, the minute ND joins the ACC the entire contract will be renegotiated anyway.
ND will not join any conference.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Why would another conference want a team that only wins 3 games / season in football?
Because the other teams in that conference gets wins (to pad their records in conference) without having to play out-of-conference teams like the Little Sisters of the Poor.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I am going to offer a socratic POV. What if we fans and alums are placing too high a value on athletic success at GT. Does it really matter in our lives if GT competes in the ACC or AAC? Would it significantly affect you if GT dropped football altogether?
Would GTSwarm continue if Tech football was dropped?

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
ND will not join any conference.
And the NL will never have the DH. Come on now. Notre Dame is irrelevant in todays college football landscape. And have been. For all the crying about GT falling behind, ND is way worse off. They are irrelevant and still spend the money with packed stadiums. They are just another northern school with a rich history who can’t get elite players anymore minus the corn fed midwestern linemen. GT may be in a tough spot but plenty are right there with us. And the longer ND wanders in the wilderness they’ll eventually join.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
And the NL will never have the DH. Come on now. Notre Dame is irrelevant in todays college football landscape. And have been. For all the crying about GT falling behind, ND is way worse off. They are irrelevant and still spend the money with packed stadiums. They are just another northern school with a rich history who can’t get elite players anymore minus the corn fed midwestern linemen. GT may be in a tough spot but plenty are right there with us. And the longer ND wanders in the wilderness they’ll eventually join.
I could care less about baseball

but ND is way worse off? 2021 11-2 , 2020 10-2 , 2019 11-2 damn I wish we were that bad.

who can’t get elite players anymore ? 2022 ranked 7 , 2021 ranked 9 2020 ranked 18 you may want to look at the 2020 signing class https://247sports.com/college/notre-dame/Season/2020-Football/Commits/

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Why? We would still play uga. We would also have much more money to compete.
Even if we somehow got out of the grant of rights, we would have to pay a 52 million dollar exit fee. Nebraska, Rutgers, and Maryland all had reduced payouts from the Big 10 for years while they waited to become full members. We likely would as well. On top of all of that our travel costs will go up a good bit. Eventually we would get to a point where we are getting full payouts, and we have finally paid off our buyout, but that doesn't really mean much against our new competition who has been getting full payouts for years. Neither Maryland, nor Rutgers have finished in the top 25 since going to the Big 10. Nebraska hasn't in the last 9 years either. The Big 10 money up to this point hasn't done much of anything for those programs.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Even if we somehow got out of the grant of rights, we would have to pay a 52 million dollar exit fee. Nebraska, Rutgers, and Maryland all had reduced payouts from the Big 10 for years while they waited to become full members. We likely would as well. On top of all of that our travel costs will go up a good bit. Eventually we would get to a point where we are getting full payouts, and we have finally paid off our buyout, but that doesn't really mean much against our new competition who has been getting full payouts for years. Neither Maryland, nor Rutgers have finished in the top 25 since going to the Big 10. Nebraska hasn't in the last 9 years either. The Big 10 money up to this point hasn't done much of anything for those programs.
I don’t get why people don’t understand that our conference opponents would still have a financial advantage on us in the B1G, probably even more so than what we already have in the ACC. Currently we’re a small fish in a swimming pool. Move to the B1G and we’d be a small fish in Lake Michigan. They complain about playing Clemson every year but would rather jump up and play Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, and Penn State every year? Yeah no thanks. If we can’t outspend Wake Forest now we have literally no chance to outspend anybody in the B1G.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I think the arguments for joining the B1G are philosophical.

It is a conference that is consistently more academic in nature and generally recruits solid students. There are fewer “shady” programs.

It would actually be easier to tell if your team was improving rather than winning moral victories over teams like Duke. The ACC overall seems to encourage sloppy play, whereas in the B1G iron sharpens iron. In that respect it would be more like the SEC but with integrity.

I honestly believe we would average an extra 5000 fans at every home game.

More people would see us on TV 😊 and even some of our own fans might be able to watch more often.

The money would be good. Ask Maryland, Nebraska and Rutgers if they have any regrets. Let’s not kid ourselves, the money would be good.

We would get a break from the almost daily bashing of the ACC and constant complaints about Tobacco Road and ACC leadership. No serious football fan ever makes fun of the B1G. They are a strong sports conference where most of the athletes can even read.

National media attention and exposure. Just. Think. About. That. I never saw articles about Rutgers before they joined the B1G. Currently I don’t see articles about Tech unless they are inside our bubble.

Midwestern folks are nice people. I married one. We would enjoy the class and civility they would bring into our stadium as visiting fans.

I have been hoping that the ACC would get its act together for decades. Maybe some day in the future they will. But if we had a chance in the meantime to join the B1G we would be grabbing our own destiny.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
So the SEC just finished it's westward expansion. They added TAM , then UT and OU. All Mega teams leaving the Big 12 with all lessor teams. ESPN to give more $ to the more powerful SEC while taking it from the weaklings leftovers in b12.

In future SEC could expand on eastern side by adding mega teams - Clemson, FSU, Miami to make a super 2 division conference.

Big 10 could absorb the best of the rest to form a second super conference.

Why is this not likely?