We Have A Good Defense

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I hate to think it but we might be undefeated if we hadn't lost the 4-5 defensive starters in the off season. We really looked good today on defense. Biggest turnaround I've ever seen a GT defense make
It is clear to me now that those who left the program needed to leave. The players we ended up with are the ones who buy into the program and who want to win.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
I have been saying it all year...

• Guys give 150 % in spite of their physical limitations (that overcomes a lot, and these guys have improved all year long)
  • Our D coaches are earning their pay and then some
ar136225573577691.jpeg

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
my understanding was that after the two losses, CPJ said someting to CTR, and Roof decided to bring a ton of pressure for the rest of the season. You went from a defense that just tried to be sound, to a defense that flew around trying to make plays, and accepting that big plays would sometimes result from it, both ways.

It's a mindset that I think has served you guys well, particularly your linebackers. Davis and Marcordes in particular seem to be better suited to pin their ears back and attack rather than try to read/react.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Heck, a bunch of their run yards came on a fake FG.

I am not convinced that we are a great D. I will say that we ARE a very opportunistic defense who just played a GREAT game. The best part is, we are improving every game. That is all you can really ask. Just keep working and keep getting better. Our defense has done more than carry their weight the last couple games. That is for sure.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
It is clear to me now that those who left the program needed to leave. The players we ended up with are the ones who buy into the program and who want to win.
CPJ directly stated this in his pregame interview . . . or was it in the press conference this week? No I think it was today at some point I heard him say it on the radio. He directly stated that the team lost a bunch of players this offseason who "liked to complain a lot" and that everyone who stayed preferred to believe in each other and trust their coaches and simply get after it.

(I am definitely paraphrasing what I took from his comments).

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
This is the best performance by our defense probably since 09 VT or 2011 Clemson. Everything that we needed to do we did. Keshun balled today. Set the edge well and on Chubb carries we had 2-3 guys hitting him every time. Let's not forget that Demond Smith dropped potential pick 6. Our d may be the 1st defense that was able to play man coverage vs. ugag and not get burned in the run game. Kudos to the staff for changing the mindset of the defense. I thought UGA had a good OL, but today our DL played great today.

I would also like to give praise to Marcodes for getting better each week and providing constant pressure for nickel package.

My confidence is sky high going into next week.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
UGA rushed for 113 yards, and had 165 yards of Total Offense, on three (3) drives in the first quarter of the game.

For their final SEVEN (7) possessions, UGA had amassed 81 rushing yards and 226 TOTAL Yards (really, it should be 53 and 198 if we don't count the danged fake field goal).

Finally, UGA's offense was responsible for just 10 points after the opening drive.

My point is that, once again, Ted Roof made some tremendous adjustments, and our defense played one heck of a game against one of the top offenses in the entire Country.

Also, our offense just put up a ton of yards and points against one of the top defenses in the Country.

Finally, in spite of everything pitted against them (read that cheating SEC refs, etc), this team never quit believing or fighting. Phantom fumbles, illegal blocked FG's and XP's be danged; these guys would not be denied.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
Same guys...better gameplan. We are giving the guys the best opportunity to win.

Before, we were hardly blitzing and only rushing 4, sometimes 3! And dropping 8 which even with that much coverage they were finding easy holes in the zone. When we did blitz, our corners played 8 yards off the WR giving easy quick throws.

Now, Blitizing constantly with different looks and forcing quick throws so our guys aren't covering for an enternity, while also pressing the WRs so they can't make quick throws (hot routes).

Seems like common sense, but for some reason it took till UNC game for PJ to force roof to change it.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
I could go back and find posts by myself, 33, boomer and others calling for a more aggressive defense. I know mine in particular claimed that we didn't have the horses and was just hoping for schemes that would coverup for it and get us a few stops a game. I was wrong about that. These players are getting better every game and I'm hoping this season has been a philosophical learning experience for Roof. He clearly knows his stuff and I've consistently impressed by his in game adjustments. I think in seasons to come we'll continue to see the aggressive defenses.

96Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Major props to Tremayne McNair, Beau Hankins, and Anthony Harrell for stepping up in a big way Saturday. None of those guys have gotten a lot of playing time outside special teams but they were in on some key defensive stands after PJ Davis went down. It's amazing to watch guys rise to the occasion time after time on this team.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Major props to Tremayne McNair, Beau Hankins, and Anthony Harrell for stepping up in a big way Saturday. None of those guys have gotten a lot of playing time outside special teams but they were in on some key defensive stands after PJ Davis went down. It's amazing to watch guys rise to the occasion time after time on this team.

I had the same thought!