We got to get fans in the stands!!!

Bonaire41

Jolly Good Fellow
After watching a lot of games over the weekend and especially the FSU game tonight. That place was rocking and they showed out in droves and the players responded to it and gave them a will to fight . I personally feel like if we had that kind of atmosphere the players would play a whole lot harder and wound care a whole lot more Bc they bust they *** all year long and the first game they play in is 26 thousand empty seats stadium at night in prime time that got to be like a slap in they face and drain the life out them to the point to why should they care if the fans don’t care. We are as much to blame as the coaches and players are!!!!

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is such an unfair comparison.

Comparing a game against a winless mid-major team against a game that has a top 10 opponent coming in isn't comparing remotely similar things.

To blame the fans for the product on the field is ludicrous. The issue isn't the number of fans in the stands, it is in the quality of the coaching.

Bonaire41

Jolly Good Fellow
But this was the first game of season with no idea how we would look and as from a player perspective it got to be deflating as a player after working so hard in offseason to see the stadium half empty. I’m sure they wasn’t pumped up as much if it was a full house. Nebraska stunk it up the first game and their coach is more on the hot seat than ours and they still sold out the game. We the fans are just as much the blame as the players are . The sooner we realize that the sooner we may get things turn around. Believe it or not the fans bases controls a lot more than you think!!!

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
But this was the first game of season with no idea how we would look and as from a player perspective it got to be deflating as a player after working so hard in offseason to see the stadium half empty. I’m sure they wasn’t pumped up as much if it was a full house. Nebraska stunk it up the first game and their coach is more on the hot seat than ours and they still sold out the game. We the fans are just as much the blame as the players are . The sooner we realize that the sooner we may get things turn around. Believe it or not the fans bases controls a lot more than you think!!!
Nebraska had sold out 375 consecutive games before this week and needed donors to buy up many remaining tickets late in the week to keep the sell out streak alive. They aren't immune to apathy in their fan base.

Mattmc10

Jolly Good Fellow
It’s a fine and fair comparison. Return to normalcy, heightened expectations, 7:30 kickoff. there’s literally no excuse for the terrible attendance other then our fans just didn’t show up, period.
I don’t think everyone is back to normal. You can count 2 people not there Saturday due to delta variant. Some people are moving on, others are being cautious. I would bet we aren’t the only 2 who missed because of this.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Tech has a pretty fragile fan base and the GTAA has failed to attract outsiders to become fans. Also, Stansbury has reported that season ticket sales were off from previous years. I don't want to make this a discussion about excuses, but Tech has a lot going against it's football program and Saturday night's embarrassment did not help their cause. In my opinion, if Stansbury was trying to attract younger fans, it hasn't worked. Maybe he needs more time, but people want to be associated with a positive product. Tech doesn't offer that.

Tundeballer

Jolly Good Fellow
The fan base of every school is going to be primarily people who went there, relatives of people who went to the school and people who become fans randomly by watching a game and their children. Tech is not a massive school cranking out 8k grads per year, and more people all over the country are choosing to stay home because the at home TV experience is really really good. Winning will certainly help attendance, but if we want a consistently filled stadium, we need to downsize stadium seating.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Sounds like you just disproved your own point, if Nebraska packed the house and still stunk it up.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I think what we saw Saturday night is the most we will see at a home game this year.

we can always count on opposing fans to fill the stadium up though.

TheStolenT

Georgia Tech Fan
I don’t think everyone is back to normal. You can count 2 people not there Saturday due to delta variant. Some people are moving on, others are being cautious. I would bet we aren’t the only 2 who missed because of this.
This. Tech has an intelligent and generally skeptical fanbase and I can guarantee you most took the ongoing pandemic into consideration before deciding on whether to come to this game. Not to turn this into another covid debate, but in the south its as bad as it has ever been, "normalcy" is still a ways away im afraid

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
This has been an issue for years at tech . Sadly more of our students would likely rather be at dragon con than the first game.
Collins plan for the 404 takeover , whiteout all that marketing fluff doesn't seem to actually help get fans to the stands.
Reality is with covid and a mediocre product last year, I think many are still not going to go to the games.

We don't have a diehard base like Clemson or ga that will always show to games no matter what. That culture will take years to changes

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
After watching a lot of games over the weekend and especially the FSU game tonight. That place was rocking and they showed out in droves and the players responded to it and gave them a will to fight . I personally feel like if we had that kind of atmosphere the players would play a whole lot harder and wound care a whole lot more Bc they bust they *** all year long and the first game they play in is 26 thousand empty seats stadium at night in prime time that got to be like a slap in they face and drain the life out them to the point to why should they care if the fans don’t care. We are as much to blame as the coaches and players are!!!!
Totally agree. I was in the west stands and the east stands looked like it was the spring game. Very depressing for me and must have been moreso for the payers and recruits. I know we are all mad at CGC and for good reason, but the team needs our support.

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
This has been an issue for years at tech . Sadly more of our students would likely rather be at dragon con than the first game.
Collins plan for the 404 takeover , whiteout all that marketing fluff doesn't seem to actually help get fans to the stands.
Reality is with covid and a mediocre product last year, I think many are still not going to go to the games.

We don't have a diehard base like Clemson or ga that will always show to games no matter what. That culture will take years to changes
The students were at the game in force. The North stands were pretty full and they made noise. The general fan base did not show up.

slugboy

Staff member
For people like me who live out of town and have younger children 7:30 games are a problem. Not sure if that had an impact
Bringing elementary-age kids home at 2 AM Sunday morning (1 AM if you live close) is a barrier to young families attending some games. I think it has some impact, but a healthy fan base has some options—students, recent grads, empty nesters, people who just like good football—that should more than make up that difference.
Yates was watchable football and then some on Saturday. It’s been a while since we’ve seen watchable football. The football we’re playing is part of it (not so much schemes as how well they’re running). The quality of the football is a factor.
The opponent is a factor, but you should be able to get 40-45k out for a game. Some of this was the opponent, but some of this is people choosing to do something else instead.