We got to get fans in the stands!!!

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
We are who we are - a small fanbase, and a fanbase spread out over the world. We are not creating large numbers of new GT fans or alums (I would say only a small % of grads today care about football, especially after they leave) currently, and the old guard is dying off. I don't have high hopes for where this is going in the foreseeable future.

Now, with embarrassing play and decision making, it may get worse much, much faster.

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Given the realities discussed above, we need to decrease capacity by getting rid of the upper north stands which will push those fans into the east stands. I know it is an expensive proposition, it it will enable the stadium to be more full for regular home games and prevent the stadium from looking like a home game for UGA and Clemson when they come to town.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
This. Tech has an intelligent and generally skeptical fanbase and I can guarantee you most took the ongoing pandemic into consideration before deciding on whether to come to this game. Not to turn this into another covid debate, but in the south its as bad as it has ever been, "normalcy" is still a ways away im afraid
Exactly. Our local, very popular, super successful high school football team has had to cancel two games already due to Covid. We are not back to normal yet.

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
Rural Georgia has never supported Tech well, but for the few of us that do, it’s getting harder and harder. I personally know 3 Tech fans that have converted to UGA. One was a former season ticket holder (while a student at UGA). It’s the social aspect for all 3. When nearly every friend/family member are diehard Dawgs that go to Jacksonville and road trip to other great environments each year, and they’re playing in big games while Tech fans are nowhere to be found, the Dawgs just choke Tech fans out. It’s common for me to talk to a UGA fan who tells me that their grandfather or father pulled for Tech. Not sure I’ve heard it the other way around. Sad to see this progress. My hope is to see us build an on-field product and through the right marketing get the city of Atlanta behind us, engage the black community. I think Collins has the marketing ability, less and less sure about his ability to create the necessary on-field results. Gotta win man, first and foremost. No bueno

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
After watching a lot of games over the weekend and especially the FSU game tonight. That place was rocking and they showed out in droves and the players responded to it and gave them a will to fight . I personally feel like if we had that kind of atmosphere the players would play a whole lot harder and wound care a whole lot more Bc they bust they *** all year long and the first game they play in is 26 thousand empty seats stadium at night in prime time that got to be like a slap in they face and drain the life out them to the point to why should they care if the fans don’t care. We are as much to blame as the coaches and players are!!!!
"We are as much to blame as the coaches are." Nope. They bought it, and now they have broken it. This is all on the players and the coaches.

SowegaSting

Jolly Good Fellow
Rural Georgia has never supported Tech well, but for the few of us that do, it’s getting harder and harder. I personally know 3 Tech fans that have converted to UGA. One was a former season ticket holder (while a student at UGA). It’s the social aspect for all 3. When nearly every friend/family member are diehard Dawgs that go to Jacksonville and road trip to other great environments each year, and they’re playing in big games while Tech fans are nowhere to be found, the Dawgs just choke Tech fans out. It’s common for me to talk to a UGA fan who tells me that their grandfather or father pulled for Tech. Not sure I’ve heard it the other way around. Sad to see this progress. My hope is to see us build an on-field product and through the right marketing get the city of Atlanta behind us, engage the black community. I think Collins has the marketing ability, less and less sure about his ability to create the necessary on-field results. Gotta win man, first and foremost. No bueno
I sometimes feel I’m the only side-walk fan in Albany, GA. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been asked if I went to GT when I’m wearing my gear. Almost always, it‘s a GT grad asking that works at P&G. When I see UGa gear, I always assume they never went there.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
We are as much to blame as the coaches and players are!!!!
To paraphrase another guy,I don't take any responsibility at all for Collins or game attendance. You want fans? Win. Don't throw the loyalty card at folks who are about to spend a lot of hard-earned bucks to watch this team with the circus clown on the sideline. You could go randomly into the stands and find somebody who made better in-game decisions. And to allow crowd reaction to change your call and cost two timeouts?

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
A lot of people had a good idea how we would look this year. They were scoffed at. Turns out we are worse (so far) than the naysayers advertised....
Yep. “No reason we can’t win 6-8 and go to a bowl game”. Lolz. Too much juice I guess. This staff - mainly the HC and coordinators - has given literally zero reason to think that’s possible.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I came to the game with 5 other friends/ family, we were fired up for the start of the season and to see some good football, i have never seen The stadium that empty, we assumed it was because of covid fears. After Sat night’s debacle i doubt it will get any better unless visitors fill it up. I’m so disgusted with our program right now i’m not even sure that i will even watch on tv the rest of the season, i sure as hell ain’t wasting my time and money to watch this shiite show play out. Lowest i have ever been on our program and i’ve been a steadfast sidewalk fan since 1990 no matter who the coach is.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
We are who we are - a small fanbase, and a fanbase spread out over the world. We are not creating large numbers of new GT fans or alums (I would say only a small % of grads today care about football, especially after they leave) currently, and the old guard is dying off. I don't have high hopes for where this is going in the foreseeable future.

Now, with embarrassing play and decision making, it may get worse much, much faster.
People want to be associated with a winner and the converse is also true. As Lombardi said, “Winning isn’t everything; it’s the only thing.” It’s taxing driving hours from South Georgia for the displeasure of watching the s**t show Collins is becoming famous for. Then, the long drive home gives you hours to question why you thought this time would be different. When the nearly universal assessment of the program is that it is an embarrassment, that the head coach doesn’t know how to coach big boy football and that even the “gimme” games are too often nail biters and far from certain, well, there is the problem. Winning solves a host of problems. Establish a reputation for a consistent, winning program and attendance should improve.

slugboy

Staff member
I came to the game with 5 other friends/ family, we were fired up for the start of the season and to see some good football, i have never seen The stadium that empty, we assumed it was because of covid fears. After Sat night’s debacle i doubt it will get any better unless visitors fill it up. I’m so disgusted with our program right now i’m not even sure that i will even watch on tv the rest of the season, i sure as hell ain’t wasting my time and money to watch this shiite show play out. Lowest i have ever been on our program and i’ve been a steadfast sidewalk fan since 1990 no matter who the coach is.
If you go back before 1990, you’d have seen something similar. The late 70’s and a lot of the Curry years felt similar. Curry was a lot more reserved, but the offense and defense were entirely conventional. Our offense and defense are conventional today. Pepper Rodgers had a lot in common with Collins in the amount of flair that rubbed a lot of the fan base the wrong way, but with a wishbone for at least some of the time. Either way, the fans weren’t coming out then.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
People want to be associated with a winner and the converse is also true. As Lombardi said, “Winning isn’t everything; it’s the only thing.” It’s taxing driving hours from South Georgia for the displeasure of watching the s**t show Collins is becoming famous for. Then, the long drive home gives you hours to question why you thought this time would be different. When the nearly universal assessment of the program is that it is an embarrassment, that the head coach doesn’t know how to coach big boy football and that even the “gimme” games are too often nail biters and far from certain, well, there is the problem. Winning solves a host of problems. Establish a reputation for a consistent, winning program and attendance should improve.
Can't disagree with anything you state, but unless you know a "magic trick", even if GT gets a solid or great coach, in today's big boy football, we most likely will not be able to sustain great winning football consistently (9 out of 10 years competing for conference championships). I do believe we can have a team that provides us decent to good seasons (with maybe an outlier of 10 wins) consistently though. But, in my opinion, it will take a special coach, and we don't have that guy. Also, you don't really build a large new fanbase on "decent to good" seasons, but it does help maintain the one you already have.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Want to fill the Stadium there 3 ways to do it now, play an opponent that will bring lots of fans, win ( which ain't going to happen ), hire a new coach ( which ain't going to happen for 3 more years)
Or lower the cost of a ticket. There are close to 6 million potential fans within an hour or less of the stadium. Make the unused tickets cheap for a few years. Then later you can jack up the price. You have to create a demand. Simple economics.
Demand needs to be greater than supply. Too much competition in the area.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I would drastically cut ticket prices just fill up the seats and I would give away a lot of the upper deck just to fill the seats. We would make about the same amount of money as we do now but we have a full house.
Problem what about people like me who paid full price for their tickets Tech going going to slap them in the face . Great way to do to the few season ticket holders we have watch next season and season ticket holders will drop again . Not much you can do with the worse team in the ACC ( maybe worse than Duke we will see) 4 more years of CGC and we will need to play division 2 football.