Way too early starting lineups

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
Not sure what you mean.

I think Laskey is very underated, and will be a solid starter. His backup, will be a true "redshirt" freshmen, Custis. Custis has loads of potential, but I don't see him starting over Custis. Snoddy is going to get time at AB, so he's not really 100% BB. Leggett is TBD and can play AB or BB according to the head chef.

I think BB is pretty thin right now in terms of experience. Tons of potential, but we have to remember our staff likes our BBs to do more than take a handoff. With the news that Snoddy is going to split time at AB, wouldn't surprise me to see Donovan Wilson move over. For the guys that want the Kyle Eckel type BB, Donovan may eventually be that guy. Big body type guy that can absorb and dish out hits. Loved his HS film...and thought it translated really well for what our BBs do.
I thought you were the OP. It was a mistake on my part

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
- Laskey will start at BB. He's too experienced and he's effective at every phase of the game.
- Waller/Smelter at WR but we suddenly have several options at WR that look good.
- ABs seem like a toss-up between Bostic, Days, Hill, Andrews
- Gotsis/Gamble has me exctited at DT
- DE is horrifying. Our top 4 are gone from last year. Praying Whitehead is good enough to be a starter and difference maker.
- JHD starting - Davis being a more than capable backup.
- Nealy/Hankins at OLB.
- Noble/White at CB - alittle concerned about depth here. Durham will probably play right away.
- Milton/Golden at S should be solid.
wr: agree
Abacks: agree
DT: Gotsis, for sure, then not sure about the other. (Gamble is a DE, btw.) Coaches are high on rsFrosh Commissiong. Also, CPJ meantioned two guys who started out at DE and got so big they moved them both inside. One was Kallon, I forget the other.
LB's: agree but expect Harrell to eventually move on a starting role. Not sure what Hankins has done so far?
DB's: I think Isaiah gets one of starting safety spots and I think Lynn Griffin gets one of the corner spots. Also expect one or two of the true frosh to see action here.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
"I think Laskey is very underated, and will be a solid starter. His backup, will be a true "redshirt" freshmen, Custis. Custis has loads of potential, but I don't see him starting over Custis."
say what? You say Laskey a "solid starter" then say you don't "see him starting over Custis"

Also Wilson listed at 6' 215 and he's a big body yet Laskey is 6'2 215 and he's not? Just curious.

fwiw, his quote translates to "I don't see [Custis] starting over Custis." I suspect he meant "starting over Laskey."

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
wr: agree
Abacks: agree
DT: Gotsis, for sure, then not sure about the other. (Gamble is a DE, btw.) Coaches are high on rsFrosh Commissiong. Also, CPJ meantioned two guys who started out at DE and got so big they moved them both inside. One was Kallon, I forget the other.
LB's: agree but expect Harrell to eventually move on a starting role. Not sure what Hankins has done so far?
DB's: I think Isaiah gets one of starting safety spots and I think Lynn Griffin gets one of the corner spots. Also expect one or two of the true frosh to see action here.

Unless they switched Gamble since the season ended I'm pretty sure he's a DT. He came in as a DE in the 3-4 but has been playing DT in the 4-3. He was listed as a DT in all the depth charts last season. I'm pretty sure he saw some snaps there last season. I just looked and he's even listed as the starter at DT alongside Gotsis on the Rivals DC from a few weeks ago:
http://georgiatech.rivals.com/cdepthtext.asp
Maybe the coaches play around and move him outside if Kallon/Commissiong/Green/Kitchens step up (Atkins is probably the other guy you're thinking of that got big and moved inside) to get the best 4 players on the field at the same time. But I've only ever heard of Gamble as a DT.

Hankins played some last season and looked decent. I've liked him since we signed him. Davis/Harrell are both possibilities as well.

Isaiah has a lot to prove. He's got experience, but he's now missed a full season in the switch from 3-4 to 4-3 (I'm not smart enough to know how much that effects safeties) and he wasn't an all-world performer even when he was healthy. Milton played pretty well after taking over last season. And Golden is probably a lock. It's actually tough to project the secondary as several of the guys can play multiple positions. Could end up being another case of getting the four best on the field again.

calvin forever

Georgia Tech Fan
Thomas O'Reilly was a well-thought-of recruit when he enrolled at Auburn, but I haven't heard much out of him since he's been a Jacket. I think he backed up Finch last year...any thoughts on his potential to start at center?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Unless they switched Gamble since the season ended I'm pretty sure he's a DT. He came in as a DE in the 3-4 but has been playing DT in the 4-3. He was listed as a DT in all the depth charts last season. I'm pretty sure he saw some snaps there last season. I just looked and he's even listed as the starter at DT alongside Gotsis on the Rivals DC from a few weeks ago:
http://georgiatech.rivals.com/cdepthtext.asp
Here's the depth chart from Ramblinwreck.com dated Nov 26, 2013. I couldn't find anything more up to date. Not saying you're wrong, the coaches may have moved him over recently.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...pdf/2013-14/depth_chart_event/depth_chart.pdf

scroll down to page 38. It lists Gamble at DE behind Dieke.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I think Gamble can probably give us Dieke type production from DE. Not expecting much more but would love to be pleasantly surprised. Dont see him winning starting job at DT but I've been wrong before.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think Gamble can probably give us Dieke type production from DE. Not expecting much more but would love to be pleasantly surprised. Dont see him winning starting job at DT but I've been wrong before.
I didn't see anything from Gamble on film last year to suggest that he was ready for a prominent role anywhere. My best guess is that he provides depth at DE. Too light in the pants for DT. Not athletic enough to be a rush edge DE.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
That's kinda how I viewed Dieke also. No offense to him. I think he played hard and made the most of his potential. I'm least certain of this position for either side of the ball. Hoping we don't have much drop off this year. Someone needs to step up at both DE spots. Whitehead hopefully will on one side.

decatur jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I feel like we kept hearing about how "athletic" Kallon was coming into school and there was even some joking in another thread about lining him up at BB in goal line situations, so that seems to still be the case. I know he came as a DE in a 3-4 scheme and the natural move due to size is inside to DT. If he is as quick as we hear and at his size, should he get a look at DE? I'd love to have a guy his size matched up against a TE. If he can move like we keep hearing, he should be unblockable.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I like this thread. Very cool to see everyone's ideas, I like projections of any kind when it comes to sports so I love these threads. Here's my take:

QB: Thomas

BB: Laskey/Custis split time like Laskey/sims 2 years ago, Laskey 60/40. If snoddy hasn't gotten it yet I don't think he will unfortunately.

AB: Perkins/Hill (love perk)
AB (group 2): Bostic/Andrews/Days

WR: Smelter/Waller
WR (group 2):Autry/Summers/Juene hard to pick 2 out of these 3. I'm not very confident in Autry coming off of 2 acl tears but he was good as a fresh.

LT: Devine(I think he could be an nfl Tackle one day, even though he will probably be a guard here)
G:Mason
C:O'Reiley/Burden
G:Braun
RT: Griffin (we need someone to protect Justin with Devine and he has good length

DE: whitehead/Akins
DT: Gotsis
DT: Kallon/commisong/Is Greene still on the team?
DE:Gamble/chungong

OLB: Harrel
MLB: JHD/Davis
OLB: Nealy

CB: White
SS: Griffin/Johnson(never liked him, reminds me of young)
FS: Golden
CB: Milton/Noble

KR-PR: Golden/M. Autry

yellowRambler

Jolly Good Fellow
CPJ says he's going to play the best 4 defensive lineman and the best 4 defensive backs. DB will be tough. Noble, Smith, Milton, White, Golden, and Johnson will all be competing. Not so sure Isaiah Johnson and Golden will be starting.

I also think people are underrating Thomas O'Reilly. O'Reilly was ranked the #8 OG by ESPN in high school. He backed up Finch this year, but if Burden starts at center, then O'Reilly could play guard opposite of Devine. O'Reilly is huge too. Burden seems to be closer with alot of the of the offensive players though.

Last edited:

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
CPJ says he's going to play the best 4 defensive lineman and the best 4 defensive backs. DB will be tough. Noble, Smith, Milton, White, Golden, and Johnson will all be competing. Not so sure Isaiah Johnson and Golden will be starting.

I also think people are underrating Thomas O'Reilly. O'Reilly was ranked the #8 OG by ESPN in high school. He backed up Finch this year, but if Burden starts at center, then O'Reilly could play guard opposite of Devine. O'Reilly is huge too. Burden seems to be closer with alot of the of the offensive players though.
I'm also intrigued by what O'Reilly brings to the table. We could have our most athletic as well as largest OL in the CPJ era. Imagine that! Just hope they have it upstairs.

slugboy

Staff member
Isaiah has a lot to prove. He's got experience, but he's now missed a full season in the switch from 3-4 to 4-3 (I'm not smart enough to know how much that effects safeties) and he wasn't an all-world performer even when he was healthy. Milton played pretty well after taking over last season. And Golden is probably a lock. It's actually tough to project the secondary as several of the guys can play multiple positions. Could end up being another case of getting the four best on the field again.
JMHO: Free Safety->3-4 vs. 4-3 won't change that role much at all. Strong Safety might be affected, maybe.