Way too Early 2023 Predictions

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
We just disagree on where GT football is vs Georgia football. We are further apart than any time in the 53 years I have followed GT football. The gap currently is insurmountable. Last year Georgia had 15 players drafted by NFL teams, 9 in the top 100. They didn’t miss any of them as they won a second straight National Championship. We struggle to win 2 games in a row against mediocre teams. Until we make tremendous improvement mark Georgia as a loss. Sad but true.
Yet we nearly had them down 14-0 in their house to end the season and played them tougher than just about anyone they saw all year. Had we been able to demonstrate any shred of an offense in that game I think we actually would have had a chance to win.

Another way to look at it is that they currently benefit from residing in a very poor division. They’re very good, but they aren’t as good as some of the Alabama teams of the past decade, and I believe Bama would have beat them this year had they made the playoff.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Yet we nearly had them down 14-0 in their house to end the season and played them tougher than just about anyone they saw all year. Had we been able to demonstrate any shred of an offense in that game I think we actually would have had a chance to win.

Another way to look at it is that they currently benefit from residing in a very poor division. They’re very good, but they aren’t as good as some of the Alabama teams of the past decade, and I believe Bama would have beat them this year had they made the playoff.
The score was 37-7 before we scored a garbage time TD. UGA pays no attention to GT. We are a warm up game before the SEC Championship game. Smart called off the dogs. But hay believe we are competitive with them now.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
The score was 37-7 before we scored a garbage time TD. UGA pays no attention to GT. We are a warm up game before the SEC Championship game. Smart called off the dogs. But hay believe we are competitive with them now.
It was 10-7 at half time. That’s the definition of competitive. Our defense was playing great until they got gassed from being on the field the whole game.

Dinner_Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
It was 10-7 at half time. That’s the definition of competitive. Our defense was playing great until they got gassed from being on the field the whole game.
Regrettably, ugag probably has a difficult time getting hyped up to play us. That’s our own fault for not being a competitive opponent for them over the years.
They “toyed” with us until it was time to put the game away and get the 3rd and 4th string in to play.
Kirby was kind and respectful to us for Key’s first matchup.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Regrettably, ugag probably has a difficult time getting hyped up to play us. That’s our own fault for not being a competitive opponent for them over the years.
They “toyed” with us until it was time to put the game away and get the 3rd and 4th string in to play.
GOOD! Let them do that again this year when they come in undefeated with that super weak schedule this year and we punch them in the face.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Don't care about no stinking W/L record. Just want a bunch of tough SOBs who are physical and keep coming at you hard as hell for 60 minutes. Want to play smart, disciplined Foosball and leave the opponent black-and-blue.

Thing is, if we do this I guarantee we'll win our share of ballgames. If you keep coming hard as hell and play smart/disciplined you may lose the ballgame per the scoreboard, but you are never BEATEN.

But regardless of W/L I want to see this kind of mental toughness, effort, smarts, and discipline. Saw some flashes of it the second half of last year....leading to some tough road wins. More please. I want every team to hate playing us regardless of ranking. Let's go get it!
Saw a stat in the 49ers playoff game yesterday that their opponents were 0-15 the week after they played them during the regular season.

I’m assuming that’s the kind of team you’re hoping we run out there?

Would be fun to watch for sure.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Saw a stat in the 49ers playoff game yesterday that their opponents were 0-15 the week after they played them during the regular season.

I’m assuming that’s the kind of team you’re hoping we run out there?

Would be fun to watch for sure.
49ers be physical!

Wonder if J. Mason was hurt. Dunno if he got in.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
So when we get 30 more 4 stars we can play a full 4 quarters, right. Of course then they might take the game seriously and still stomp us. That so many don't realize how huge the talent differential currently is stuns me. This reminds me of when O'Leary talked about how many GT players would start for FSU. The answer last few years is zero GT players would start for UGA. If Key and staff up our recruting and become an excellent coaching staff we will have a chance to occasionally compete and win a game. The real question is will they stay as talented as they have become. They could slide a bit which would really help. The past 2 years they have been the most talented team in College football playing with a good but by no means great QB. IT sucks but it is the reality.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
So when we get 30 more 4 stars we can play a full 4 quarters, right. Of course then they might take the game seriously and still stomp us. That so many don't realize how huge the talent differential currently is stuns me. This reminds me of when O'Leary talked about how many GT players would start for FSU. The answer last few years is zero GT players would start for UGA. If Key and staff up our recruting and become an excellent coaching staff we will have a chance to occasionally compete and win a game. The real question is will they stay as talented as they have become. They could slide a bit which would really help. The past 2 years they have been the most talented team in College football playing with a good but by no means great QB. IT sucks but it is the reality.
I’m not arguing that we are as talented. I’m saying that we can beat them without having to be as talented. Good lord, have you never been a part of a team that accomplished something great against slim odds? And I don’t mean just in sports…but in anything? That sort of stuff is what makes sports interesting. Would it be fun if the more talented team always won? Optimism plays a huge part in these upsets, btw. If a team just accepts that they aren’t as good then they will most certainly lose. But when they believed they can win, guess what happens…

Btw, Dodd’s teams at Tech were often overmatched in talent by their competition, yet they found ways to win and win often.

Georgia is not some sort of immortal laden squad. They are human beings just like everyone else we play. And contrary to popular belief, they don’t start 22 NFL players…so they are beatable.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Even though their talent was not at the level of CPJ, it was still much much more than ours and we beat them often.

So I dont buy into this doom and gloom crap! Those who focus primarily on recruiting are the idiots that got us into the TFG mess.

As they say. That's why we play the game. They will still beat us a lot more often than we beat them. But should still beat them at least 2-4 times every 10 years.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Rubbish.

You put the first team in and let them run up the score; then you bring in the 3rd & 4th stringers to get some experience once the game is out of reach.

Tech fans who were at the game said that the UGA crowd was murmuring uneasily at the half. It's not the stars of the dog in the fight but size of the fight in the dog. Play hard and let the guys looking past us learn the hard way what a mistake it is to underestimate your opponent.

You guys seem to think that talent ALWAYS wins. Really? Tell that to the 1980 US Olympic hockey team.

Last edited:

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Rubbish.

You put the first team in and let them run up the score; then you bring in the 3rd & 4th stringers to get some experience once the game is out of reach.

Tech fans who were at the game said that the UGA crowd was murmuring uneasily at the half. It's not the stars of the dog in the fight but size of the fight in the dog. Play hard and let the guys looking past us learn the hard way what a mistake it is to underestimate your opponent.

You guys seem to think that talent ALWAYS wins. Really? Tell that to the 1980 US Olympic hockey team.

Rubbish.

That never gets old…

Blue&Gold1034

Georgia Tech Fan
Rubbish.

Talent doesn't ALWAYS win. If it did then there wouldn't be upsets. However, having talent helps increase the odds that you will win and I'm sure you and many others here would love to increase the odds of Tech beating UGA.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Rubbish.

The olymics before this we went to see an hockey exhibition tournament at colorado spring. Usa, ussr, canda and czech team. First time i ever saw hockey match and sat in first row by the goal. So the usa guys came out and skated around outside of rink at high speed. Ice was being slixed by their skates. Man these guys are awesome. Then the Czech team came out skating just as fast. They were skating backwards.

Usa improved a lot by the time we had the miracle on ice. So will Gt.

I want to be TCU and win.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I’m not arguing that we are as talented. I’m saying that we can beat them without having to be as talented. Good lord, have you never been a part of a team that accomplished something great against slim odds? And I don’t mean just in sports…but in anything? That sort of stuff is what makes sports interesting. Would it be fun if the more talented team always won? Optimism plays a huge part in these upsets, btw. If a team just accepts that they aren’t as good then they will most certainly lose. But when they believed they can win, guess what happens…

Btw, Dodd’s teams at Tech were often overmatched in talent by their competition, yet they found ways to win and win often.

Georgia is not some sort of immortal laden squad. They are human beings just like everyone else we play. And contrary to popular belief, they don’t start 22 NFL players…so they are beatable.
Of course upsets happen. Heck the 10 times we beat Georgia in the last 40 years were likely all upsets.

The talent differential has Never been as great as it currently is. NIL won’t allow that gap to really lessen significantly.

Either UGA loses its high level coaches or our new staff is a top 10 college staff or we will be fortunate to pick off a game from them in the next 5-10 years.

Things could change, I needs to see it to believe it. UGA is now at Bama’s level. What .500 or less team has beaten Bama the past 5-10 years. That’s what we face.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Of course upsets happen. Heck the 10 times we beat Georgia in the last 40 years were likely all upsets.

The talent differential has Never been as great as it currently is. NIL won’t allow that gap to really lessen significantly.

Either UGA loses its high level coaches or our new staff is a top 10 college staff or we will be fortunate to pick off a game from them in the next 5-10 years.

Things could change, I needs to see it to believe it. UGA is now at Bama’s level. What .500 or less team has beaten Bama the past 5-10 years. That’s what we face.
Not if we don't want to.

They aren't in our conference. So, if we aren't "in their league", why play them? This annual beat-down is purely option...um...voluntary.

Personally, I'd rather see us schedule a game with a non-factory school with a legit W possibility that helps us go bowling. Maybe we play them every other year.

But I don't live in the state, so there is that...

NewEnglandTransplant

Georgia Tech Fan
Overwhelming talent/depth deficits vs UGA/@Ole Miss/@Clemson=3 L's (I'll settle for competitive)
Talent advantage vs SC State and Bowling Green=beware of BG, better than we think and they play @Michigan two weeks before us=2W's
Remainder of schedule vs seven ACC teams beginning with home games:
-Louisville @MBS a close and ugly opening W
- BC@BDS: a close -W
-UNC@BDS: Heels get revenge -L
-Syracuse @BDS: our annual upset clunker- L
-@Miami: our annual upset -W
-@Virginia: Jackets get revenge for last year- W
-@Wake Forest no Hartman spells a-W
2023 Record: 7 wins 5 losses
Margin of error, VERY HIGH-could swing from worse scenario 4-8 to best of 7-5

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Not if we don't want to.

They aren't in our conference. So, if we aren't "in their league", why play them?
Because, either sooner or later, we'll be in their league and when that happens, we damn sure want the annual series to be intact. Cancel the series and I bet we'll never get there.
Instead of cancelling the series with Ugag, we should aspire to beat them. That should be our goal. We won't get to where we want to be unless and until we overcome that hurdle.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Because, either sooner or later, we'll be in their league and when that happens, we damn sure want the annual series to be intact. Cancel the series and I bet we'll never get there.
Instead of cancelling the series with Ugag, we should aspire to beat them. That should be our goal. We won't get to where we want to be unless and until we overcome that hurdle.
I hope you're right. But the huge money in CFB changes everything. The Big schools have the alumni, the NIL, the TV deals, etc.

I'm not sure Tech, Duke and Wake, for example, can compete with them over the long run. Consequently, I think a multi-tier system with annual relegation/promotion is the best solution to the obvious disparity in the college game.