Way too Early 2023 Predictions

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
LOL, I'll try to make the predictions get better, but you know what they say- the numbers don't lie!

I agree with you- there are other things this year that are more important than the W / L record. I would like to see a well disciplined, well coached team on the field. I would like to see players giving their maximum effort, with no discussion about who quit on the team and refused to go into a game. I would like to see a forward thinking, innovative offense that takes calculated risks. I would like to see player development. I can go on and on, but I have a feeling that most of the folks who care about GT football will say the same thing.

Give me 5+ wins this year, with some developing skill players on Offense to be excited about. Give me a Defense that played with the same fire that our '22 squad did for the last 5 games. Give me a coaching staff that shows that they have a plan and can make adjustments on the fly. That would make a successful season, in my opinion.
Loved your second to last sentence .""... and can make adjustments on the fly""
Been missing since cpj left

Your 5 win w caveats matches mine for a successful season. I understand the opposing team gets a vote. If we win 7 w those cavests , i will be over joyed.

JacketFan137

Banned
have a feeling we will have the opportunity to really improve a lot on offense so i’m hopeful that some of those numbers look better by midseason.

king or pyron with a good offseason with faulkner and maybe some more incoming pass catchers post spring games will be a huge difference compared to 2022

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
i’m interested to see if it’s actually pyron starting. heard a lot of good things about haynes king
Dont count Gibson out yet.

I have heard key mention "his" offense which he and oc have embraced. Key has expressed he wants qb to have approximately the same skill sets.
TFG was a recruiting centric leader. He had dream of NFL caliber third down RB (gibbs) and gt version of a super athlete like Lamar jackson at qb sims). He thought that by definition this would be unstoppable. In the time period of 100-0 Gibson was terrible in this offense ( ol issues and gibbs injured).

KEY has said he wants "QB ROOM TO MATCH HIS OFFENSE". Gone is the home run qb that scores on long runs. In are qbs that are somewhat athletic and can pass.

Iirc the new oc has coached a walkon to start at uga - hiesman level within the uga offense that had some rpo but a lot of quick passes.

Imo, in 23 the minimum requirement for a gt qb is clearly visible ability to READ the defense and COMMUNICATE TO HOT WR. A few years ago a ucf qb who could do that and added accuracy and a bit of running made there qb look like a genius.

All this is easy to say and hard to do. Key has a plan and has people in place to try to do it. Be happy!! We are not coached by a delusional person.
COME ON WR ROOM!

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Dont count Gibson out yet.

I have heard key mention "his" offense which he and oc have embraced. Key has expressed he wants qb to have approximately the same skill sets.
TFG was a recruiting centric leader. He had dream of NFL caliber third down RB (gibbs) and gt version of a super athlete like Lamar jackson at qb sims). He thought that by definition this would be unstoppable. In the time period of 100-0 Gibson was terrible in this offense ( ol issues and gibbs injured).

KEY has said he wants "QB ROOM TO MATCH HIS OFFENSE". Gone is the home run qb that scores on long runs. In are qbs that are somewhat athletic and can pass.

Iirc the new oc has coached a walkon to start at uga - hiesman level within the uga offense that had some rpo but a lot of quick passes.

Imo, in 23 the minimum requirement for a gt qb is clearly visible ability to READ the defense and COMMUNICATE TO HOT WR. A few years ago a ucf qb who could do that and added accuracy and a bit of running made there qb look like a genius.

All this is easy to say and hard to do. Key has a plan and has people in place to try to do it. Be happy!! We are not coached by a delusional person.
COME ON WR ROOM!
I don’t think Gibson was here for 100-0, are you thinking of Jordan Yates?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think Gibson was here for 100-0, are you thinking of Jordan Yates?
I thought we had gibson com but u r right , it was yates in that period. I remember now it was last year when Gibson came in after sims was injured - play calls assumed gibson could run like Sims. The defense did everything they could to make him keep the vall in rpo.
isnt that the game where he ran out of bounds on 4th down?( thats right Pyron took over in next game ).

But after pyron was out in final game - the staff adjusted and called plays gibson could and did execute.

I hope he can more zip on his passes so we have 3 qbs with p5 talent.

So fun to not be fearing the new crazy.

slugboy

Staff member
Hi all, first time post here. I posted stuff like this on the Hive last year, but they seem to prefer discussing matters concerning former player's religious faith vs. GT athletics these days so I'll bring the conversation over here.

I have been a profitable recreational sports bettor the past three years, using a quantitative methodology based heavily in analytics and advanced stats. One of my most important tools in betting the regular season win market (and weekly sides for that matter) has been Bill Connelly's SP+ projections, located behind a paywall on ESPN+ or here (for historical ratings, at least). I use a weighted combination of different ranking systems for my weekly side projections. Through statistical analysis I've found that SP+ are most predictive for Regular Season Win totals, however.

Generally speaking, SP+ rankings are intended to predictive and forward facing, reflecting opponent-adjusted components of four of what Bill Connelly has deemed the Five Factors of college football: efficiency, explosiveness, field position, and finishing drives. (A fifth factor, turnovers, is informed marginally by sack rates, the only quality-based statistic that has a consistent relationship with turnover margins.)

Preseason SP+ projections are based on three primary factors, weighted by their predictiveness:
  1. Returning production - accounts for transfers and attrition. The combo of the previous year's SP+ and adjustments based on returning production make up almost half of the projection's formula.
  2. Recent recruiting, including transfers - makes up for ~ 1/3 of the formula
  3. Recent history - uses 2-4 years of info from previous seasons to account for overall program health. This is where any adjustments due to coaching changes are made. Makes up about 15% of the formula.
GT finished 2022 with an SP+ of -11.8. The good news is that with the returning production, transfers, coaching change, etc our preseason rating for '23 is -2.4. I was expecting our improvement to be around 7/8 points, so this was a pleasant surprise. I've linked the entire Preseason SP+ and Returning Production numbers here for your reference.

You can then project out Regular Season Win totals by taking the difference in opponents SP+ ratings and factoring in Home Field Advantage to get a projected point spread. I have found that the avg HFA for the past few years is around 1.8; you can get super granular and assign different HFA factors for different teams, but I won't do that here, and GT's factor would be lower than 1.8. Sigh.

Once I get my projected point spread I then convert to the Money Line by using a calculator powered by a ton of historical data. Convert the Money Line to implied probability, then sum up the probability for the projected win totals.

Without any further adieu, here is our 2023 Opponent / Projected Point Spread / Implied Win %:

Louisville (neutral site) / +12.5 / 18.05%
SC State / -30 / 97.93%
@ Ole Miss / +21 / 6.83%
Bowling Green / -21.5 / 93.75%
UGA / +32.5 / 0.53%
@ Clemson / +24 / 4.64%
UNC / +13.5 / 16.72%
@ Miami / +13 / 17.39%
@ UVA / -.5 / 50%
BC / -2.5 / 54.13%
Syracuse / +3 / 42.37%
@ Wake / +8.5 / 25%

Projected Win Total of 4.27 wins. I would expect the betting market to open up between 4.5 and 5.5 Regular Season Wins for GT. I think our floor is 2 wins and our ceiling is 6 wins.

At any rate, sorry for the long post and I look forward to chatting football with y'all!
I’m not completely surprised. We lost our starting QB in Sims, while Pyron didn’t get a shot to build a deep stats history. We lost our most productive receiver. We lost two starting LBs, White at DE, and Walton and Allen both from the secondary (UNC saw a lot they liked with those two).

Our recruiting class isn’t rated highly at all.

Key and staff only have 15% to work with, and they don’t have a huge track record to move that with. Maybe a (living) Mike Leach would have made a little more of a dent. Most of that 15% is “we’ve been terrible the last few years” instead of “bright new coaching staff”.

I think SP+ underrates us, but not as much as I’d like it to.