Way too Early 2023 Predictions

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Getting Louisville game 1 is big. Talent is there, especially on D but breaking in an entirely new staff and HC will be a difference. We have what is basically a HC in his 2nd year and keep most of the defensive staff intact, along with one of the best secondaries in the conference. Offense will be interesting with CBF coming in. Hopefully we’re healthy up front and Pyron stays healthy in camp. I think we win that one. The ole miss game week 3 is a big test to see where we’re at. I think it’s a toss up and possibly a loss but if we keep it close, that’s a plus, especially on the road against a potential top 25 team. The open date on Sept 23rd is big. Depending on who gets scheduled could make a difference in our record. Hoping for a Wake, UVA or Syracuse type to get a W from. Hoping we don’t draw Clemson and get that back to back with Ole Miss. 4-1 going into October will be the best thing that’s happened to this program since 2014.
I think we get to 7-5. No one really scares me on paper outside of UGA and Clemson. UNC has Drake Maye and some talent but we own them. Miami is Miami. Nothing special. Ole Miss is solid. If I had to pick L’s, they’d come from that group.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I agree--I just think that with this schedule the difference between 5 wins and 7-8 wins is huge. If we win 7 games against this schedule, we're a REALLY good team.

I think almost every team we play will hate playing us, though.
Sorry. I disagree. 7 wins will never be a REALLY good team. No schedule is that difficult. Now, 7 wins for an up-and-coming team that is finding its identity and learning to win the tough games...yeah, I'll buy that. I concede no game before it's ripped from my dead, cold hands.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
My guess.....

UL- win

SC St- win

BG- win

BC- win

SU- win

UNC- loss

UGA- loss

@UVA- win

@ Ole Miss- loss

@ CU- loss

@UM- loss

@ WF- win

7-5, bowl in El Paso
Don't ever concede a loss. Granted, we'll probably not go 15-0 next year, but never be willing to admit that X is going to beat us. Until they do, we have a fighting chance.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Don't ever concede a loss. Granted, we'll probably not go 15-0 next year, but never be willing to admit that X is going to beat us. Until they do, we have a fighting chance.
When was the last time we beat a Kirby Smart UGA team? If we are competitive with them next year that is a big step forward. Our depth is always a big problem by the 12th game. No issue for them as they are so loaded there is little drop off if any as players get banged up.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Getting Louisville game 1 is big. Talent is there, especially on D but breaking in an entirely new staff and HC will be a difference. We have what is basically a HC in his 2nd year and keep most of the defensive staff intact, along with one of the best secondaries in the conference. Offense will be interesting with CBF coming in. Hopefully we’re healthy up front and Pyron stays healthy in camp. I think we win that one. The ole miss game week 3 is a big test to see where we’re at. I think it’s a toss up and possibly a loss but if we keep it close, that’s a plus, especially on the road against a potential top 25 team. The open date on Sept 23rd is big. Depending on who gets scheduled could make a difference in our record. Hoping for a Wake, UVA or Syracuse type to get a W from. Hoping we don’t draw Clemson and get that back to back with Ole Miss. 4-1 going into October will be the best thing that’s happened to this program since 2014.
I think we get to 7-5. No one really scares me on paper outside of UGA and Clemson. UNC has Drake Maye and some talent but we own them. Miami is Miami. Nothing special. Ole Miss is solid. If I had to pick L’s, they’d come from that group.
Who are you kidding....of course the ACC will put Clemson in that spot.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Unc has players like Lawrence Taylor and has 0 national titles and ranks 71st in conference titles. All time squandered of talent
Big State University. Flagship of the entire state university system. Tons of in-state talent.

5 MBB titles. 20+ Women's Soccer titles. 0 FB titles.

How have they NOT achieved at least one FB national championship?

And for those of you who are not fortunate enough to live in the Tarheel state (yet), did you know that Dean Smith once said, "Carolina is a women’s soccer school, and we’re just trying to keep up with them,” provided recruiting ammunition for WSHC Anson Dorrance for decades. More here:

What Anson Dorrance Learned from Dean Smith (and what we need to know)

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
When was the last time we beat a Kirby Smart UGA team? If we are competitive with them next year that is a big step forward. Our depth is always a big problem by the 12th game. No issue for them as they are so loaded there is little drop off if any as players get banged up.
As soon as you concede a loss before playing the game, you accept being a loser.

This is different than trying to predict the number of wins and losses. But, to me, as soon as you predict losing to a specific team…well, I’ve already commented on that.

Last edited:

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
It seems so many people base their predictions on what last years opponent had and did and more times than not they're really different teams each year, never have thought that was a good way to do it.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
ACC Schedules come out on Jan. 30, 2023.
Georgia Tech-
9/2: Louisville (Chick-fil-A)
9/9: South Carolina State
9/16: @ Ole Miss
9/23:
9/30: Bowling Green
10/7: 10/14: 10/21: 10/28: 11/4: 11/11: 11/18:
11/25: UGA
HOME TBA: UNC, Boston College, Syracuse
Away TBA: Clemson, Miami, UVA, Wake Forest

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
As soon as you concede a loss before playing the game, you accept being a loser.

This is different than trying to predict the number of wins and losses. But, to me, as soon as you predict losing to a specific team…well, I’ve already commented on that.
Or you simply live in fantasyland. Sure you can hope to win as a fan, however, we have zero influence on GT ever beating UGA in football. But is it makes you feel better and superior my saying others are losers have at it. Now come back every Thanksgiving weekend and say you we won again. Heck I will probably have died of old age by them.

I don't recall, were you one of the many who said that the ACC BB writers didn't know anything when they picked GT to finish last in the ACC?

Techster

Helluva Engineer

CPJ beat Kirby...may have been Kirby's 1st or 2nd season at UGA. GT has not had a win against UGA since.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I can’t explain it but I have high hopes for us this coming season. I haven’t had high hopes since the 2015 season, of course we all know how that season turned out.

I’d love to upset the mutts at BDS for the first time since 1999.

I hope we play FSU for ACC title.

I’d love to be ranked at some point during the season for the first time since 2015.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I got us at 7-5.

As usual, we'll lose a game (or two) we should win, and win a game (or two) we should lose. But we are building a program next season...first year the entire staff works together, new faces on the team, new QB, etc etc. I think it will take some time to learn how to win.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm trying to be fair to the new staff and not set expectations too high. Key will be a first year head coach.

The job he did as an interim was (mostly) encouraging. But he was cooking in someone else's kitchen. That does give him some advantages and a head start over an outside hire. But he's still got to install whole new systems and culture. And there's a lot of roster turnover to manage.

I won't judge next season solely on wins and losses. If we play hard, disciplined and compete, I'll be content. Year 2, year 3, that needs to translate into wins. The only way I'd be unhappy next season is if we (continue to) make dumb mistakes, sloppy plays and don't show an ability to fix or improve.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
I got us at 7-5.

As usual, we'll lose a game (or two) we should win, and win a game (or two) we should lose. But we are building a program next season...first year the entire staff works together, new faces on the team, new QB, etc etc. I think it will take some time to learn how to win.
7-5 would be a nice first year for Key. It would give us something to build on.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Or you simply live in fantasyland. Sure you can hope to win as a fan, however, we have zero influence on GT ever beating UGA in football. But is it makes you feel better and superior my saying others are losers have at it. Now come back every Thanksgiving weekend and say you we won again. Heck I will probably have died of old age by them.

I don't recall, were you one of the many who said that the ACC BB writers didn't know anything when they picked GT to finish last in the ACC?
There you go being you again. Try reading what I wrote and then come back with a relevant response.

As for BB, do your own research and figure it out.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
There you go being you again. Try reading what I wrote and then come back with a relevant response.

As for BB, do your own research and figure it out.
Evading the question I see. On a sports message board that implies guilt! Unless there is a major change in how college football is run, and there is no incentive to make a change currently, GT can't compete in football with Georgia. It's sad but true. Resources and talent differentials are simply too great. It sucks. Saying that is reality, not being a loser.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Evading the question I see. On a sports message board that implies guilt! Unless there is a major change in how college football is run, and there is no incentive to make a change currently, GT can't compete in football with Georgia. It's sad but true. Resources and talent differentials are simply too great. It sucks. Saying that is reality, not being a loser.
Your comment has nothing to do with what I wrote. I said we shouldn't concede a game as a loss until we actually lose it. That's not the same as realistically estimating win/loss record. I don't think we'll win all our games. But, I'm not going to pick out which games we'll lose because I'm not going to concede any game just because our chances to win are lower. I think we win at least 8 this year. I'm not going pick which 4 we lose because we haven't lost them yet. That's the only point I'm making. Don't attribute more to what I say that what I say.

By the way, I was just being snarky before. I attribute no ill-will to what you say back to me. We're all GT fans in the end.