Wake Forest

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Do you think we get in with a .500 ACC record and ~50 RPI? I don't think we do. That's what we're looking at if we win both the Duke and UVA series 2-1, lose to UGA, and sweep Radford/SEMO.

I'm also scared of @UVA - they just got swept by Clemson by a total margin of 3 runs, losing three 1-run games. They took 2/3 from Louisville, losing the 3rd game by... 1 run. They took one game from UNC, which we didn't manage, and were kept from a sweep of VT... by 1 run. Two of their losses to Miami were by... 1 run.
I think we need to win those final 2 series, beat ugag and win 1 or 2 ACCT games. We have to be .500 overall in ACC plus the ACCT imo.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I don’t agree. This series was our best chance to sweep an ACC foe - instead, we still have to win both ACC series to get to a .500 conference record (which I think is a must for a NCAAT berth). Additionally, these home losses to low-RPI teams hurt. We're down to 55(!) in the RPI today, from 42 before the loss.
I agree @LangrangeJacket. Extremely disappointed (again). Wake isn't a particularly good team this year. But then, I guess, neither are we. When we play good teams (Clemson, N C State, UNC) we aren't very competitive except at home. But any tournament games own't be at home. So I guess w know what to expect.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I will go on record that Uga will beat us and UVA will sweep that road team that pretends to be GT. I am doubtful we get into a regional, we had to sweep WFU. Shame on us for not getting the job done, and on CDH for the lineup he put on the field today. He had just as well put one of us in the 8th slot.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Do you think we get in with a .500 ACC record and ~50 RPI? I don't think we do. That's what we're looking at if we win both the Duke and UVA series 2-1, lose to UGA, and sweep Radford/SEMO.

I'm also scared of @UVA - they just got swept by Clemson by a total margin of 3 runs, losing three 1-run games. They took 2/3 from Louisville, losing the 3rd game by... 1 run. They took one game from UNC, which we didn't manage, and were kept from a sweep of VT... by 1 run. Two of their losses to Miami were by... 1 run.

Agree 100%, we won't make the NCAAs with only series wins over @UVa and Duke. Our 56 RPI isn't going to be helped much by playing #85 UVa on the road unless we sweep. And a 2-1 win over #22 Fluke will help a bit but we are at home and expected to take the series.

I will go on record that Uga will beat us and UVA will sweep that road team that pretends to be GT. I am doubtful we get into a regional, we had to sweep WFU. Shame on us for not getting the job done, and on CDH for the lineup he put on the field today. He had just as well put one of us in the 8th slot.

Agree except I think we take one from UVa. Either Curry or Thomas have a complete game and take the coaching out of Hall's hands. I have real problems with the concept that we've done what we needed by winning the series. Sure, and that's why our RPI dropped to #56 :)sarcasm}. We had to get the sweep to be sniffing the inside of the bubble. Instead we are probably even off the outside bubble now. The ACC being 4th in RPI isn't going to get as many bids; I sure wouldn't give the ACC the extra bids given how the conference has done the last few years.

Another. Missed. Opportunity.

Deleted member 2897

Dude, you're harshing my mellow.
giphy.gif

That may well happen, but I'm staying on the Fredoptimism Train. #Fredoptimism

We're finishing 9-2 baby to take us to 33-23 and 15-15.

There's currently only 5 teams in the ACC above 0.500. We hold tiebreakers over Virginia Tech, Miami, Florida State, Wake Forest...and hopefully eventually Virginia and Duke. If we get seeded #6, we'll be paired with #3 and #10. #3 should be either NC State or Duke. We can beat both. #10 may be someone like Wake Forest or Miami...teams we went 5-1 against.

If we get seeded #7, we'll be with #2 and #11. #2 will either be Clemson or UNCheat (but we're due!), and #11 will be someone like Notre Dame or Virginia.

giphy.gif

Strangely enough, getting a #9 seed might be a great draw, because you get put with the #4 and #5 teams who are currently folks like Florida State and Duke.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
@bwelbo It definitely was NOT over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor. :ROFLMAO: CLASSIC!

Interesting unlikely occurrence question. ...Please read this & tell me what you think. If Miami's lawyers are reading these tiebreaker rules, I think they would find an odd loophole in event (not likely) we finish in a 3-way tie with Miami & Wake (current situation). Since Miami & Wake do not play, it would revert to the 2nd criteria for 3-way tie among non-divisional opponents. UNC is the matchup in play if they are in 1st place. Miami has a win v UNC. WF & GT were swept making the tiebreaker this way: MIA, GT, WF. The crazy thing about that is if you assign a (if they played) sweep to either Miami or Wake against each other, Ga Tech's 5-1 record would win the 1st criteria (that I believe would not be applied) in both cases. Hopefully, we don't have to worry about that.

http://theacc.com/sports/2015/4/20/_131481552890038679.aspx

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@bwelbo It definitely was NOT over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor. :ROFLMAO: CLASSIC!

Interesting unlikely occurrence question. ...Please read this & tell me what you think. If Miami's lawyers are reading these tiebreaker rules, I think they would find an odd loophole in event (not likely) we finish in a 3-way tie with Miami & Wake (current situation). Since Miami & Wake do not play, it would revert to the 2nd criteria for 3-way tie among non-divisional opponents. UNC is the matchup in play if they are in 1st place. Miami has a win v UNC. WF & GT were swept making the tiebreaker this way: MIA, GT, WF. The crazy thing about that is if you assign a (if they played) sweep to either Miami or Wake against each other, Ga Tech's 5-1 record would win the 1st criteria (that I believe would not be applied) in both cases. Hopefully, we don't have to worry about that.

Does it really matter if we can't win on the road? We NEED to win the series at UVa for psychological reasons. We NEED to sweep to have a shot at a high enough RPI to get in the NCAAs. We have the starting pitching and hitting and defense to do some damage on the road. But we haven't.

Here's a question that has been bothering me ...... I thought about making it a separate post ......

How much of our low hitting with RISP is bad luck and how much is the players choking and how much is coaching? Against the juggernaut known as Wake, we were .500 on Friday (5-10) with RISP. Saturday 1-10 (.100). Sunday 1-12 (.083). Weekend, 7-32 or .219. We have flat out sucked with RISP most of the year with that average being well below our non-RISP batting average.

Why?

65Jacket

GT Athlete
About a week ago,it was reported that Bart was hitting .220 with RISP. our power guys, McCann, and Bart, and English have been very quiet recently.

Deleted member 2897

I don't know if I read it the same way, but I admit to being stupid.

Three-or-More-Team Tie
(1) Combined head-to-head record among the tied teams.
(2) Records of the tied teams within the division.
(3) Head-to-head competition versus the team within the division with the best overall (divisional and non-divisional) conference winning percentage, and proceeding through the division. Multiple ties within the division will be broken first to last.
(4) Overall record versus non-divisional opponents.
(5) Combined record versus all common non-divisional opponents.
(6) Record versus common non-divisional opponents with the best overall conference (divisional and non-divisional) winning percentage and proceeding through the other common non-divisional opponents based on their order of finish within the division.
(7) The seed(s) shall be chosen by a draw.

I read this that you go through head-to-head first. If a team has a head-to-head advantage against both the other 2, then they get seeded first. Then the other 2 get head-to-head...but in this case they didn't play each other. So then you go down to #2, record within the division, for those remaining tied teams. If that is still a tie, you keep going down.

The reason I interpret it this way is that head-to-head is obviously the most important. If you have a multi-team tie, and 1 of the teams beat all the others, there is simply no logical reason that they would end up getting ranked lower.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't know if I read it the same way, but I admit to being stupid.

Three-or-More-Team Tie
(1) Combined head-to-head record among the tied teams.
(2) Records of the tied teams within the division.
(3) Head-to-head competition versus the team within the division with the best overall (divisional and non-divisional) conference winning percentage, and proceeding through the division. Multiple ties within the division will be broken first to last.
(4) Overall record versus non-divisional opponents.
(5) Combined record versus all common non-divisional opponents.
(6) Record versus common non-divisional opponents with the best overall conference (divisional and non-divisional) winning percentage and proceeding through the other common non-divisional opponents based on their order of finish within the division.
(7) The seed(s) shall be chosen by a draw.

I read this that you go through head-to-head first. If a team has a head-to-head advantage against both the other 2, then they get seeded first. Then the other 2 get head-to-head...but in this case they didn't play each other. So then you go down to #2, record within the division, for those remaining tied teams. If that is still a tie, you keep going down.

The reason I interpret it this way is that head-to-head is obviously the most important. If you have a multi-team tie, and 1 of the teams beat all the others, there is simply no logical reason that they would end up getting ranked lower.
Thank you. Your interpretation makes sense. ...and more than that, it seems to be the "right" way to interpret it. I was hung up on the fact that all 3 teams will not have played each other. Miami and Wake do not play. I was concerned that meant "combined head-to-head" could not (would not) be used.