Waffle House Wednesday: Brent Key

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I find it funny that the guys who complain the most about our divided fanbase are the ones pushing divisiveness the most. I mean at every turn they slam the previous staff or anyone not drinking the Kool-Aid out of a firehose. It’s freaking ridiculous. If you really want a united fan base it’s simple just shut the F up.
Thank you sir!

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken about that.

Regarding our fanbase bickering, I was an avid supporter of CPJ and I am excited about what CGC has done and can do (we all hope). Does that mean both sides of the bickering dislike me now?
Yes. Do you not love GT Football enough to pick a side?!?!?!

stech81

Helluva Engineer

Regarding our fanbase bickering, I was an avid supporter of CPJ and I am excited about what CGC has done and can do (we all hope). Does that mean both sides of the bickering dislike me now?
I was also wrong once it was 46 years ago and I'm still paying for that mistake. Oh crap and now she wants to go shopping.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Brent Key got 3 separate nominations for the ( Broyles ) assistant coach of year.

Was it for coaching or just recruiting or both?

Not familiar w award since no gt coach has received nomination that I am aware of.

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
Brent Key got 3 separate nominations for the ( Broyles ) assistant coach of year.

Not familiar w award since no gt coach has received nomination that I am aware of.

Fridge not only was nominated but won the award in 1999. From Wikipedia:
In 1997, Friedgen returned to Georgia Tech, where, as offensive coordinator, he developed the balanced offensive attack (200 yards on the ground, 200 yards through the air) that would become his trademark. During his second year, the Yellow Jackets were co-champions of the ACC, defeated Notre Dame in the Gator Bowl, and ended the season ranked among the nation's top 10 teams. In 1999, he was the winner and awarded the Frank Broyles Award, given to the nation's top assistant coach.​

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Every year, 1,500 assistant coaches representing all 117 Division One college football programs vote on their peers in the world of college football, and the five Broyles Award finalists are chosen by the tally of these ballots. Each head coach can nominate one assistant coach from his staff. All nominations are reviewed by a selection committee composed of some of college football's former head coaches. The five finalists meet in Little Rock, Arkansas, where each is presented with a $1,000 check, as well as a set of golf clubs and personalized golf bag. The winner receives $2,500, a watch, the Broyles Award Jacket custom-made by Tom James, as well as the trophy, valued at around $5,000.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
GIFs201922211826.gif

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I looked around and found the last 4 mominee lists. The nominees number between 38 and 50 ish. A large percentage were coordinators and certain schools seemed to regularly get a nominee. 50/1500 - is approx in 97%. Getting 3 nominations is really good.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Fridge not only was nominated but won the award in 1999. From Wikipedia:
In 1997, Friedgen returned to Georgia Tech, where, as offensive coordinator, he developed the balanced offensive attack (200 yards on the ground, 200 yards through the air) that would become his trademark. During his second year, the Yellow Jackets were co-champions of the ACC, defeated Notre Dame in the Gator Bowl, and ended the season ranked among the nation's top 10 teams. In 1999, he was the winner and awarded the Frank Broyles Award, given to the nation's top assistant coach.​

Man I loved Ralph's offense. It was before its time with the option and vertical passing game.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

I didn't know that about Key. CGC includes in his bio that he's the only coach to be a 3x Broyles nominee, from 3 different schools (though never one of the 5 finalists).

GT_05

Helluva Engineer

No, I think you can like CPJ and still support CGC...like me. I’m not sure why you have to be in one camp or the other. [emoji52]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk