VT week media

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
This idea always fascinates me. We tend to be a bit megalomaniacal in our thinking. When we do our job, it's our superior play that wins the day. We don't credit the opponents D with failing to make plays or not executing properly. When we do poorly however, we rarely credit the opposing D. Instead, we focus solely on where we went wrong. Sometimes, as you said, we block the right guy, but just get beat.

YES! It is fascinating when you watch other games that you don't have a stake in, as this phenomenon seems to disappear, and you tend credit the O or D for a great play rather than sticking with one side and critiquing or praising them relentlessly.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
YES! It is fascinating when you watch other games that you don't have a stake in, as this phenomenon seems to disappear, and you tend credit the O or D for a great play rather than sticking with one side and critiquing or praising them relentlessly.

Case in point is the 4th down catch against Miami that cost us the game. The dude was double covered with aggressive pass defenders and made an amazing circus catch. Throw that ball into that coverage 100 times and he might catch it 2 or 3 times, yet we immediately blamed the D for letting us down, instead of crediting Miami with a miraculous catch. Sometimes the bounces just go the other way as well, and luck factors in, like the fluke TD reception Pitt had to beat us last year. We scream that a defender did wrong, when EVERYTHING had to go right just for the catch to be made.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Case in point is the 4th down catch against Miami that cost us the game. The dude was double covered with aggressive pass defenders and made an amazing circus catch. Throw that ball into that coverage 100 times and he might catch it 2 or 3 times, yet we immediately blamed the D for letting us down, instead of crediting Miami with a miraculous catch. Sometimes the bounces just go the other way as well, and luck factors in, like the fluke TD reception Pitt had to beat us last year. We scream that a defender did wrong, when EVERYTHING had to go right just for the catch to be made.
Exactly, and the incompletion that ended a potential knock out blow by the offense (Brad Stewart on 3rd down). Was that a drop or a great pass break up by the D? 90% of fans are gonna blame their own guy for the mistake rather than credit the opponent for a great play.

edit: Oh, and BS makes that catch more times than not, as well.

Last edited:

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
In any offense, when a defense sells out to stop one aspect and is doing so, you'd be a fool not to try the other.
I agree, I think what's hurting us so bad, teams are selling out to stop the run, and they will do so until we prove we can pass better. That's the difference from early in the season compared to the games since Miami. Teams are selling out to stop the run and they weren't doing that before.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the play calling was questionable at times. It seemed like a fair question to me. He didn’t like someone not approving of his play calls.

I don't think it was the intent of the question that pissed him off - it was the phrasing of it. Instead of coming out and saying what he thought or asking a specific question about it, KQ said "what do you think of the job you did calling plays" (or some such). Of course that didn't sit well with him and he gave the smart *** comment something to the effect of it was perfect and then he said what kind of a damn question is that?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
MyAJC article
Roberson: TaQuon Marshall with good news for Georgia Tech fans
Facing an important home game against Virginia Tech (7-2, 3-2 ACC) on Saturday, Georgia Tech quarterback TaQuon Marshall gave Yellow Jackets’ fans a piece of good news Tuesday:

“I saw a lot more focus from people today,” he said. “Everybody was really focused in. I didn’t have to say too much. By far, to me, in my opinion, it was the best Tuesday practice we’ve had this season.”

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer

I like the rankings but I also like the qualifiers "public school" meaning some private are probably higher and only for engineering and tech

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

I like the rankings but I also like the qualifiers "public school" meaning some private are probably higher and only for engineering and tech

Interesting note from FB, saw a screenshot on one of the GT forums I follow & it seems that someone commented on this post on Georgia Tech Facebook page. Person: "That's cool but why don't we lower the academic standards to get better athletes in there." Georgia Tech (certified): No.

There you go!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think that is a part of his frustration. He saw what everyone else saw. A-backs and receivers wide open and we couldn’t get it to them. If he kept running into a stacked box, we would have yelled for passes.
Easy for fan to say.
They didn't look open to our qb because he has to get on tip toes to see over all the shoulder pads.
Been saying for a long time = we should have a set of back up skill players and taller qb who have practiced special plays substitute as a group.
When we play a shorter but quicker qb it's a little bit weak to be surprised they jam the line of scrimmage . Once the tall line men retreats close to qb , he has tough time reading a second receiver who could be wide open.
Can it work w short qb? Yes
At times it can work a lot better with taller one

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
CPJ is right, though...if he calls a lot of pass plays, everyone wants to know why he didn't do 15-play drives and vice versa...you can see it all over this message board over and over again - when you lose games, everyone is a Monday morning QB and thinks CPJ should have done it the "other" way, so he does it the other way, and everyone is on him for that, too. That would frustrate me if I were coach, especially knowing that no matter what I tried the result was a big fat "L". What ifs are just that...what ifs...

If the fans and the reporters were as good at play calling as they think they would not be sitting in the stands. The questions are kind of, sorta, maybe just a little bit, you know, annoying. It would help if they would quit grandstanding and just ask reasonable questions without trying to create controversy by rattling the coach's cage. Just ask the question!

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
AJC: Virginia Tech DC doesn’t anticipate trick plays against Georgia Tech
Virginia Tech defensive coordinator Bud Foster isn’t expecting too many fakes or trick plays when the Hokies take on Georgia Tech on Saturday.

“They’re not going to call that in this kind of game,” Foster said Tuesday, according to The Roanoke Times. “The quarterback’s going to get hit, hopefully a lot. But by the same token, we’ve got to be able to catch him, too. This guy’s pretty special.”

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
To be fair, what really pissed off CPJ to start with was the questions about how he thought he did calling plays. That's what elicited the "what kind of a damn question is that?" I think at that point he was just really pissed and trying to keep it in check.
Actually I always thought Quinlan a house dealer. but that is a very good question. Johnson's reaction, to me, proves it. Sometimes it ain't the answer, but the attitude that tells.