VT week media

GTRhino24

GT Athlete
I used to be scared of disappointing my high school coach. Pissing off CPJ would make me lose sleep at night. I feel a little sorry for those guys this week. I think they will have a new level of focus this week.

Side note, these media guys have got to man up. Their tentative questions irritate me and I don’t even have to deal with them. They need to write their questions down beforehand and omit “maybe, kinda, sorta” from all of them.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
I like PJ, but whenever his offense gets questioned he gets super defensive. KQ challenged him on some questions and he didn’t like it. I think he knows he’s getting in some hotter water.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
I like PJ, but whenever his offense gets questioned he gets super defensive. KQ challenged him on some questions and he didn’t like it. I think he knows he’s getting in some hotter water.

To be fair, what really pissed off CPJ to start with was the questions about how he thought he did calling plays. That's what elicited the "what kind of a damn question is that?" I think at that point he was just really pissed and trying to keep it in check.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
To be fair, what really pissed off CPJ to start with was the questions about how he thought he did calling plays. That's what elicited the "what kind of a damn question is that?" I think at that point he was just really pissed and trying to keep it in check.

I think the play calling was questionable at times. It seemed like a fair question to me. He didn’t like someone not approving of his play calls.

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
CPJ is right, though...if he calls a lot of pass plays, everyone wants to know why he didn't do 15-play drives and vice versa...you can see it all over this message board over and over again - when you lose games, everyone is a Monday morning QB and thinks CPJ should have done it the "other" way, so he does it the other way, and everyone is on him for that, too. That would frustrate me if I were coach, especially knowing that no matter what I tried the result was a big fat "L". What ifs are just that...what ifs...

stech81

Helluva Engineer
CPJ is right, though...if he calls a lot of pass plays, everyone wants to know why he didn't do 15-play drives and vice versa...you can see it all over this message board over and over again - when you lose games, everyone is a Monday morning QB and thinks CPJ should have done it the "other" way, so he does it the other way, and everyone is on him for that, too. That would frustrate me if I were coach, especially knowing that no matter what I tried the result was a big fat "L". What ifs are just that...what ifs...
Agree if we lose most everyone wants to blame the Coach and or the QB. And at Tech we can also blame the Hill.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The last thing Coach wants to do is out right blame individual players. That’s the path these questions are leading toward and he doesn’t like it.

If it was just one guy screwing up every play it would be easy to fix. Unfortunately, it’s not. It’s several guys screwing up at different times. Much harder to fix.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The last thing Coach wants to do is out right blame individual players. That’s the path these questions are leading toward and he doesn’t like it.

If it was just one guy screwing up every play it would be easy to fix. Unfortunately, it’s not. It’s several guys screwing up at different times. Much harder to fix.
I wanna add that the problem is not always due to a screw up and therefore, and very frustratingly, not correctable. What I mean is sometimes our guy does everything right and still gets beat. As we all know, football is a physical contest or more accurately, 11 physical contests every play. We don't win all those contests, no team does. I think we are winning less this year than in years past, even when we do everything correctly just prior to engagement.

Don't get me wrong, we are still screwing up whether it's poor decisions, bad angles, bad timing, going the wrong way, making bad throws, running poor routes, dropping balls, using poor technique, etc. That's where lack of experience rear's it's ugly head and there's only one way to fix that. Sometimes mental mistakes are due to exhaustion and that could be due to lack of depth/substitution. There are so many factors that there is no easy fix. Just work hard and try to get better. That's all we can do.

I think the systemic arguments are silly, however. We've seen this offense roll often enough, even against teams that "out-athlete" us, to know it has the potential to do so.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Some updates about VT:
They lost out on some of their usual Sunday prep time where they focus on basics (which means extra rest though, so maybe it helped) due to travel issues getting home.
Their WR Carroll at the moment has missed the last 4 games and may miss ours as well.
Their CB Adonis Alexander injured his hamstring in the 4th quarter of Miami, and its unsure if he'll be a go this week.
QB Josh Jackson was spotted in a protective boot after the game, also went down hard on his elbow but that doesn't seem to have done anything as of yet.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I think the play calling was questionable at times. It seemed like a fair question to me. He didn’t like someone not approving of his play calls.
what is he suppose to say to that question? Yea I sucked at play calling, I'm just a bad offensive coordinator? And he did reply, he asked what did KQ think of his play calling and KQ said something about passing so much. CPJ replied with "were they wide open?" So although KQ questioned his concern about play calling CPJ answered. Now, in KQ's defense CPJ has said he could do things better with play calling, so the question wasn't completely stupid. I can understand why he asked the question but I can also understand why CPJ got mad.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
what is he suppose to say to that question? Yea I sucked at play calling, I'm just a bad offensive coordinator? And he did reply, he asked what did KQ think of his play calling and KQ said something about passing so much. CPJ replied with "were they wide open?" So although KQ questioned his concern about play calling CPJ answered. Now, in KQ's defense CPJ has said he could do things better with play calling, so the question wasn't completely stupid. I can understand why he asked the question but I can also understand why CPJ got mad.
In any offense, when a defense sells out to stop one aspect and is doing so, you'd be a fool not to try the other.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I wanna add that the problem is not always due to a screw up and therefore, and very frustratingly, not correctable. What I mean is sometimes our guy does everything right and still gets beat. As we all know, football is a physical contest or more accurately, 11 physical contests every play. We don't win all those contests, no team does. I think we are winning less this year than in years past, even when we do everything correctly just prior to engagement

This idea always fascinates me. We tend to be a bit megalomaniacal in our thinking. When we do our job, it's our superior play that wins the day. We don't credit the opponents D with failing to make plays or not executing properly. When we do poorly however, we rarely credit the opposing D. Instead, we focus solely on where we went wrong. Sometimes, as you said, we block the right guy, but just get beat.