Virginia Tech Postgame

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Defense has for the most part been Tech's issue, no matter who the coach was. Just look at 1999. Tenutta was successful because of his scheme.....scheme... a word disdained by our current coaches. He blitzed a lot but when we faced a good QB, Matt Ryan, they killed us. We cannot get enough good D lineman because they can not get into Tech. I have 50 years of watching this.
You're ( god ) Paul Johnson refused to keep Tunuta as his DC . Johnson's ego was so big that he couldn't have someone on his staff that was stronger than him. Stupitity on his part because together thay could have put out some great teams.

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Jolly Good Fellow
You're ( god ) Paul Johnson refused to keep Tunuta as his DC . Johnson's ego was so big that he couldn't have someone on his staff that was stronger than him. Stupitity on his part because together thay could have put out some great teams.

Actually, he wanted a more respected DC in Ellis Johnson but Tech refused to pay what it cost for a big league DC.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
You may want to go back and check your facts Tunuta was the one who did not want to stay cause Tech would not give him the Head coaching job it pissed him off.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Sub par talent and good coaching leads to competitive games for the most part with mostly wins over teams with equal talent, an occasional upset over a more talented team, and some slow bleed losses against elite teams and few embarrassing performances

Sub par talent and poor/inexperienced coaching leads to mostly losses but occasional wins (luck factor) against teams with equal talent, generally non competitive losses and poor play against average teams, and record setting blowouts and downright embarrassments against good to elite teams, usually highlighted by poor special team play, poor third down D stops and O conversion, poor pass efficiency, poor performance in the red zone, poor tackling, lots of penalties, and questionable game and clock management. Not identifying any team in particular..... .

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
They played Willis against BC and Duke.

Against BC he was sacked twice, threw three picks and lost a fumble. He was credited with 13 carries for 13 yards.

They packaged-subbed Patterson and Hooker against Duke to disastrous results (familiar to us..) including a fumble off a zone read exchange in Hooker's first series that gave duke the ball in the redzone and set them up for their first TD. Up to that point, VT had given up five (5) yards through the first quarter. The end result was Willis credited with 4 rushes for 5 yards and going 7/18 through the air with a pick and one TD for 72 yards on a busted coverage down 28, which was his only pass over 12 yards.

They were running zone read / RPO with a guy who cannot run and was a field position magician for the other side. Willis lost the starting job at Kansas and initially transferred as a walk-on.

I don't care if they played Johnny U, they lost and then beat Furman by a touchdown. They are mediocre to average as they have been since Frank retired. They have no one that compares with Logan Thomas, Kam Chancellor, Luther Maddy or that running back that ran the kickoff back against us for a TD. They no longer have the players they once had. The way we played Saturday we would have lost to a lot of teams that are not in the top 50 or so.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
You may want to go back and check your facts Tunuta was the one who did not want to stay cause Tech would not give him the Head coaching job it pissed him off.

I don't think putting two crabby, king sized egotists like Coach Johnson and Coach Tenuta on the same coaching staff would have worked out anyway. One or the other would have been taken out in a pine box after the first game.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
If we would have had both Tenuta and CPJ, GT would have dominated assuming CPJ would have been hands off of Tenuta. It hurts my heart that we didn’t get to see those two together.
Considering how hands off CPJ was with the defense his whole tenure, I don't see why this wouldn't have been the case. I agree CPJ with Tenuta as DC and even assistant head coach would have been great at the time.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't care if they played Johnny U, they lost and then beat Furman by a touchdown. They are mediocre to average as they have been since Frank retired. They have no one that compares with Logan Thomas, Kam Chancellor, Luther Maddy or that running back that ran the kickoff back against us for a TD. They no longer have the players they once had. The way we played Saturday we would have lost to a lot of teams that are not in the top 50 or so.
Ehh, I see your point and hope they keep Fuente around for that reason. His first recruiting class was bad (#49 per rivals) but they have been recruiting around the top 30 ever since. I don't think Thomas stacks up with Chancellor and Luther Maddy, and Hooker's stat line so far is significantly better than Thomas'. I would take the point that Hooker has a ways to go to be mentioned in the same breath with the Vick brothers and Tyrod Taylor, but Logan Thomas was inaccurate and we didn't have the bodies big enough to stop him.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
If you were a student during those dark years, the wonder is that you came back a fan at all.
I would dare say, every four years of bad football loses an entire cycle of fans. Only the die hards stay with it. And you don’t add any side walk fans during this period. I have several relatives that grew up in a Tech household that now pull for other teams.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Ehh, I see your point and hope they keep Fuente around for that reason. His first recruiting class was bad (#49 per rivals) but they have been recruiting around the top 30 ever since. I don't think Thomas stacks up with Chancellor and Luther Maddy, and Hooker's stat line so far is significantly better than Thomas'. I would take the point that Hooker has a ways to go to be mentioned in the same breath with the Vick brothers and Tyrod Taylor, but Logan Thomas was inaccurate and we didn't have the bodies big enough to stop him.

Yep. Thomas was an average quarterback compared to the likes of the Vicks and Tyrod Taylor until...he got to play against us and then by George he was money in the bank. Four starts, I think, may have been only three and three or four straight wins. Hooker is pretty good, I will grant you that but I would rather have UVA's quarterback myself. We will see what the Hokies do against Pitt this week. Should be a good game.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
All good things must come to an end. Let's start another one Thursday.

I am 65 myself and seen a lot of strange things on the Flats in my time including a national championship and more upsets of top 20 teams than I can remember. I have also seen abysmal seasons as bad as this one come and go. This too, will pass.