Virginia Tech Postgame

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Except when you compare GT's lines of scrimmage to last year. I think you'll see a lot of differences there.

Parker Braun and Brandon would make a difference for sure but Virginia Tech lost some players as well. We did not just beat them last year we boat raced them. Beating Virginia Tech and
except that it ain't true

We beat them last year. We looked as bad as we have looked all year against the same team. Seems pretty true to me.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
The thing that worries me right now is that Collins seems to not care at all about the win loss record, only about hyping the program I get that building the culture is needed and helps with recruiting but what I saw today was very worrisome . I've been on board with him all season and still am for next , but today looked like we regressed a lot.
What I worry now is that we will lose the fan base completly.
I sure hope Collins has a way to get this figured out otherwise we may be stuck for a bit

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I have complained about our defense for CPJ’s entire tenure. I don’t need to dig through my posts to prove it. I will say it again, CPJ’s biggest failing was his inability to field even an average defense. It is why I said I wanted a defensive minded head coach.
Defense has for the most part been Tech's issue, no matter who the coach was. Just look at 1999. Tenutta was successful because of his scheme.....scheme... a word disdained by our current coaches. He blitzed a lot but when we faced a good QB, Matt Ryan, they killed us. We cannot get enough good D lineman because they can not get into Tech. I have 50 years of watching this.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I don’t care about the offense. The offense has sucked all season, so I don’t get why people are shocked.

What the **** is happening on defense?
I can answer that question. Two players seeing significant time on the DL are walk ons.
It's hard to stop somebody when they have a 2 yard push every time and opening holes for a mack truck to go through.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
You’re fooling yourself, lv. And I think you know that, because you’re a sharp poster. It’s not impossible for a competent OC to do better than this with the same crew.

No. It's not impossible. We would have to run an offense that could ignore passing, because we can't do any part of it correctly, and it would allow us just to ask Oliver to run 40 times a game. We would also have to run an offense that didn't rely on our OL sustaining blocks or pushing the DL back. In short, we'd have to run the triple option and even then we'd be looking at a repeat of 2015, at best, when we averaged 21 against any teams with a pulse due to injuries. No, I don't think a better OC would have performed any significantly better unless they tried to run the triple option, or some very close variant of it. But the decision to not do that was made by TStan.

The people who are fooling themselves are those who think that a "slow transition" was the way to go, continuing to run the option while we recruit for a different offense.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Fact We don't have a QB on this team ,not sure they would look much better with an offensive Line. Maybe top out with 5 or 6 wins. 1/2 the players need to go and see if CGC can bring others in but if they watched this game I would not count on it. I know many on here don't like to run players off but if we don't get use to 1 to 3 wins a season the next few years. If I was the AD I would be looking for a job if this don't get better in the next 2 years.​

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
This wasn’t on any coach, no bad calls were responsible for 45 pts.

For the first time all season both lines showed how weak they are, compared to the rest of the NCAA. Neither line looked good matter of fact they looked terrible. Early on it was obvious the D line was struggling and seeing that I told myself that the LBs would have to produce, they continue to be in the wrong spots, fill the wrong holes and miss read who their coverage responsibilities are.

This season was a lot more leaning than I anticipated

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
The thing that worries me right now is that Collins seems to not care at all about the win loss record, only about hyping the program I get that building the culture is needed and helps with recruiting but what I saw today was very worrisome . I've been on board with him all season and still am for next , but today looked like we regressed a lot.
What I worry now is that we will lose the fan base completly.
I sure hope Collins has a way to get this figured out otherwise we may be stuck for a bit

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Nothing wrong that a few wins won't cure along with a couple of high profile recruiting commitments. That said, the hype and culture change will only go so far. Sooner or later Coach Collins has to start winning some games. He has a good opportunity to show his stuff on Thursday. Win that game and people will forget this soon enough. Just win baby and sign Gibbs. That will help a lot.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
No. It's not impossible. We would have to run an offense that could ignore passing, because we can't do any part of it correctly, and it would allow us just to ask Oliver to run 40 times a game. We would also have to run an offense that didn't rely on our OL sustaining blocks or pushing the DL back. In short, we'd have to run the triple option and even then we'd be looking at a repeat of 2015, at best, when we averaged 21 against any teams with a pulse due to injuries. No, I don't think a better OC would have performed any significantly better unless they tried to run the triple option, or some very close variant of it. But the decision to not do that was made by TStan.

The people who are fooling themselves are those who think that a "slow transition" was the way to go, continuing to run the option while we recruit for a different offense.

This is just wrong. There are plenty of run-forward offenses that are not CPJ’s. There are plenty of option schemes that are not CPJ’s. What Pnut currently does is open to a more effective mix than what we do. The problem is less with offensive “style” and more with teaching players how to execute what you need them to do.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Fact We don't have a QB on this team ,not sure they would look much better with an offensive Line. Maybe top out with 5 or 6 wins. 1/2 the players need to go and see if CGC can bring others in but if they watched this game I would not count on it. I know many on here don't like to run players off but if we don't get use to 1 to 3 wins a season the next few years. If I was the AD I would be looking for a job if this don't get better in the next 2 years.​

This is what I was told from an AA staffer: TStan is “laser focused” on football and not spending much time on the other sports. He knows he needs to fix football from a revenue perspective.

I would question his choice of laser. Looks anemic to me.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Fact We don't have a QB on this team ,not sure they would look much better with an offensive Line. Maybe top out with 5 or 6 wins. 1/2 the players need to go and see if CGC can bring others in but if they watched this game I would not count on it. I know many on here don't like to run players off but if we don't get use to 1 to 3 wins a season the next few years. If I was the AD I would be looking for a job if this don't get better in the next 2 years.

It will.​

Eli

Helluva Engineer
This. All hype. And an empty or emptier, stadium.

Look at Pruitt. He said “we will focus on basics and play SEC style football. We will win with schemes proven to win games in this conference.”

Geoff: “Greatest transformation in the history of earth. Dancing. MoneyDown. Gimmick of the day.”

I'm not sure using Pruitt is a good example of trying to win a head coaching argument...

SoMsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I can answer that question. Two players seeing significant time on the DL are walk ons.
It's hard to stop somebody when they have a 2 yard push every time and opening holes for a mack truck to go through.

To add, we are playing with 275 lb DTs. Who, in there right mind, would argue, "It's coaching", when they are being blocked by 300+ OL? It's about the talent level and it starts with the LOS.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Parker Braun and Brandon would make a difference for sure but Virginia Tech lost some players as well. We did not just beat them last year we boat raced them. Beating Virginia Tech and

We beat them last year. We looked as bad as we have looked all year against the same team. Seems pretty true to me.

What about Kenny Cooper, Jahaziel Lee, & Antwan Owens, all of whom are out for the year? Kelton Dawson was out today as well.

We have walk-ons starting on both sides of the LOS.

The LOS has been a significant challenge from the beginning of the year and has become exacerbated as the year went on. It makes a massive difference year over year.