Virginia (Home) - ACC Weekend #6

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Bunch of Zima drinkers.

Maybe the football crowd. The baseball crowd is largely parents, ex-parents and former baseball players who get together in the parking lot in RVs and set up tents. I've gone up twice for baseball games and they offered me free food and drink. They appreciate good baseball and aren't all tribal/nationalistic about it.

Just say VT sucks (true statement) and they are your friends.

No Zima. But a fully stocked bar, wine and beer (free). Plus shine. Last time drank shots of shine and gave them some of my Irish Whiskey. Proceeded to the game toasted and three of us GT grads proceeded to heckle the 3rd baseman and LF mercilessly. Wiley will remember since it was a quiet stadium other than us. We won :)

Needless to say I was planning to go back last year till COVID happened. Will go back next year, Lord willing and the Cree don't rise. This weekend, I'll be in the mountains near Charlottesville and likely miss at least the Thursday game.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
If we continue to get the kind of starts out of Hurter and Archer that we have gotten recently, I would strongly consider making Sunday the "all staff" day. More and more MLB teams are doing this sort of thing with their day 4 or 5 starts. Audition the remaining staff during practice that week - much like golf does before tournaments - and give the top performers an inning each. It gives the coach a chance to mix up the arms between left & right, power & finesse, to keep the opposing hitters off balance. Plus it rewards the guys that have a good week of practice. If anyone can't get the outs, you have a quick hook and move on to the next guy. Until someone proves they can be a consistently reliable day 3 starter it gives a staff with so many arms a chance to be rewarded for performance.
Especially this year. In the past, Tuesday and Wednesday games have been out staff days to develop pitchers, but with fewer midweek games, fewer opportunities for pitchers to show what they can do.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
UVA is really struggling to score.... it has already been mentioned. If we can keep that trend running, very big advantage for Ga Tech this weekend. Need to execute.

If I am reading that correctly, UVa is 4th in the league in fewest runs allowed per game at 4.87. This will be a series where it becomes critical that we avoid walks and errors that give them extra chances to score, as we won't be hitting much or scoring much against them. Since I am never confident about our pitching at home, this series scares me. A lot.

(I would love to know our home vs away ERA and RPG-A, in case anyone has extra time....)

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
This week's D1 Baseball podcast was quite light on ACC coverage. They did spend most of the ACC time talking about UVA. They each agreed that UVA should be better than they've shown. One of them said he watched a lot of their series last weekend and commented their ABs 'improved' over the weekend (did not elaborate). Collectively... the 3 gents from D1 "don't understand" why/how UVA has been unable to get their offense to be more productive; and they definitely believe UVA has a "run in them" going forward.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This week's D1 Baseball podcast was quite light on ACC coverage. They did spend most of the ACC time talking about UVA. They each agreed that UVA should be better than they've shown. One of them said he watched a lot of their series last weekend and commented their ABs 'improved' over the weekend (did not elaborate). Collectively... the 3 gents from D1 "don't understand" why/how UVA has been unable to get their offense to be more productive; and they definitely believe UVA has a "run in them" going forward.
If I am reading that correctly, UVa is 4th in the league in fewest runs allowed per game at 4.87. This will be a series where it becomes critical that we avoid walks and errors that give them extra chances to score, as we won't be hitting much or scoring much against them. Since I am never confident about our pitching at home, this series scares me. A lot.

(I would love to know our home vs away ERA and RPG-A, in case anyone has extra time....)

I don't feel good about any of our series given our pitching depth and erratic defense. There are only a few truly elite teams (Vandy, Arkansas, Ole Miss). Then we are in the next group of maybe 15 teams who are good but not dominant in all four areas of hitting, defense, starting pitching and relieving.

I am only comfortable in any of our games after we get 27 outs and have more runs than the other team.

UVa has the talent and will get wins this year. Hope it's not this weekend.

Deleted member 2897

Yes, their pitching has been magnificent the vast majority of the time. But for how magnificent their pitching has been, their hitting has been the opposite.

Deleted member 2897

5 runners left on in the first 3 innings. We keep this type of production up and the flood gates will open. One little piece of bad luck for Virginia and we put up 4 or 5 runs in an inning.

Deleted member 2897

6 pitches in T6 - 2 strikeouts.

Virginia doesn’t have a single person in the game with a batting average over 0.300.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Goodness. Four errors is NOT what I meant by playing clean baseball when I posted earlier. But we survived with a win. But...my goodness...and all by the guy whose defense has (before now) impressed me the most. I don't understand baseball.