Virginia (Home) - ACC Weekend #6

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
How did we give up 5 to a team that’s not supposed to be able to score?

The usual method....we walked and hit batters and then added in errors....when you do that, they actually don't need to, you know, get base hits.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
A win is a win is a win, even though it should have never been close. We really need one of Chapman, Mannelly, or Huff to step up and start throwing strikes. I thought all three of those guys would be big parts of the pen, but they just can't throw strikes so far. Smith has been better as of late and I know he the runs came when he was in the game in the 8th, but he did a good job of getting out of that jam. We desperately need Grissom and Roedig to get in form in a hurry.

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
A win is a win is a win, even though it should have never been close. We really need one of Chapman, Mannelly, or Huff to step up and start throwing strikes. I thought all three of those guys would be big parts of the pen, but they just can't throw strikes so far. Smith has been better as of late and I know he the runs came when he was in the game in the 8th, but he did a good job of getting out of that jam. We desperately need Grissom and Roedig to get in form in a hurry.
I've never heard...what is the injury to Grissom? Does anyone know? He hasn't pitched all year. Is there hope of him debuting at some point.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I've never heard...what is the injury to Grissom? Does anyone know? He hasn't pitched all year. Is there hope of him debuting at some point.
He's had growth plate problems in his back, but is pitching again and Hall said he should be available in a couple of weeks.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Let's be clear here. Hurter could probably have thrown a shutout.

But it made sense in the 8th 6-0 to give our bullpen a chance to redeem itself.

Chapman - epic fail. 1 GO, 2 BB and HBP. Good quickish hook.
Dal Smith - good. Gave up a hit.
Bartnicki - gave up 1 ER but that was on fortunate as opposed to hard hits. Malloy had an error to make it exciting but Bartnicki SO two. Remains our best closer in my mind.

Losing Finley was massive as we have a big void we have to fill. So we need to take chances and put pitchers in to see who are gamers. Some are and some aren't.

Maybe we offended the Baseball Gods by pulling Hurter. Who knows. But we need depth. It really has to hurt UVa to come so close and fail again.

Tomorrow we need to win since they have a great matchup on Saturday:)

(Had to edit Sunday to Saturday since we are a day off)

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Wow, Malloy had 4 errors today. I thought it was 3. One of them must have been a fielding + throwing error. 0-4 hitting into a DP with 4 errors. He's DUE for a HUGE rest of the weekend!
He's been playing so well too, but it was really cold and windy here today so that might have really affected him on throws and staying losse out there.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Let's be clear here. Hurter could probably have thrown a shutout.

But it made sense in the 8th 6-0 to give our bullpen a chance to redeem itself.

Chapman - epic fail. 1 GO, 2 BB and HBP. Good quickish hook.
Dal Smith - good. Gave up a hit.
Bartnicki - gave up 1 ER but that was on fortunate as opposed to hard hits. Malloy had an error to make it exciting but Bartnicki SO two. Remains our best closer in my mind.

Losing Finley was massive as we have a big void we have to fill. So we need to take chances and put pitchers in to see who are gamers. Some are and some aren't.

Maybe we offended the Baseball Gods by pulling Hurter. Who knows. But we need depth. It really has to hurt UVa to come so close and fail again.

Tomorrow we need to win since they have a great matchup on Sunday.
Hurter was up over 90 pitches. Right call to pull him. No second guessing that move on my part. We just need someone in the bullpen to step up.

GtBaseball3

Jolly Good Fellow
Wilhite needs to be pitching more. I’ve Heard multiple scouts and even DH say if he were to go pro, it would be pitching.

Last year he was taken out of the lineup because he was better on the mound. He ended up closing 3 games out for us and one of those was away against a ranked auburn team last year. I just don’t understand why they do not give him more chances, especially with more talented/experienced backups in Jackson/ Malloy and Anderson.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Wilhite needs to be pitching more. I’ve Heard multiple scouts and even DH say if he were to go pro, it would be pitching.

Last year he was taken out of the lineup because he was better on the mound. He ended up closing 3 games out for us and one of those was away against a ranked auburn team last year. I just don’t understand why they do not give him more chances, especially with more talented/experienced backups in Jackson/ Malloy and Anderson.
I had forgotten about Wilhite, but you’re right about using him as well. We need him more on the mound than at 2B imho.

I wonder why it hasn’t happened?

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
I had forgotten about Wilhite, but you’re right about using him as well. We need him more on the mound than at 2B imho.

I wonder why it hasn’t happened?
I think the reason we haven't seen more of Wilhite as a pitcher is because he has more value as a second baseman than a pitcher. Keep in mind that some calling for him as a middle reliever means that we then have a void at second base in the late innings. If you say Malloy can move to second then we have a void at third. I think we have settled in with Bartnicki and Maxwell as the late inning guys so if Wilhite is going to pitch it has to be in the middle innings which means we need someone to step up as a second baseman. Don't forget, Wilhite has been hitting over .300 so I'm sure CDH is reluctant to take his bat out of the lineup. All that being said, when other guys can't throw strikes it does make you think twice about him pitching.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
  • Tough matchup today. Their pitcher Abbott can be really good. Dude throws a lot of pitches (104 per ACC game average).
  • Is 2-4 due to lack of run support. On our team could be 4-2 or better. Started as Friday starter but moved to Saturday. Makes sense to me to have a higher Saturday win % (and Sunday they are clearly better ERA than us).
  • 1.2 WHIP. Averaging 4.11 pitches in ACC ABs. We'll need to run up the pitch count as he seems to throw a lot of pitches each AB. (I say that every week, just vary the excuse.)
  • 5 of the 13 ER have been HRs. We need to take advantage of that too. 3 run HR please :)

Season
1617362285762.png

3/27 v Miami
1617361829787.png

3/20 v Pitt
1617361955871.png

3/12 v ND
1617362055634.png

3/5 @ FSU
1617362119011.png

2/27 @ UNC
1617362206911.png

Last edited:

Deleted member 2897

• Tough matchup today. Their pitcher Abbott can be really good. Dude throws a lot of pitches (104 per ACC game average).
  • Is 2-4 due to lack of run support. On our team could be 4-2 or better. Started as Friday starter but moved to Saturday. Makes sense to me to have a higher Saturday win % (and Sunday they are clearly better ERA than us).
  • 1.2 WHIP. Averaging 4.11 pitches in ACC ABs. We'll need to run up the pitch count as he seems to throw a lot of pitches each AB. (I say that every week, just vary the excuse.)
  • 5 of the 13 ER have been HRs. We need to take advantage of that too. 3 run HR please :)

Season
View attachment 10257
3/27 v Miami
View attachment 10252
3/20 v Pitt
View attachment 10253
3/12 v ND
View attachment 10254
3/5 @ FSU
View attachment 10255
2/27 @ UNC
View attachment 10256

With only a few exceptions, their pitching has been VERY good this year.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I think the reason we haven't seen more of Wilhite as a pitcher is because he has more value as a second baseman than a pitcher. Keep in mind that some calling for him as a middle reliever means that we then have a void at second base in the late innings. If you say Malloy can move to second then we have a void at third. I think we have settled in with Bartnicki and Maxwell as the late inning guys so if Wilhite is going to pitch it has to be in the middle innings which means we need someone to step up as a second baseman. Don't forget, Wilhite has been hitting over .300 so I'm sure CDH is reluctant to take his bat out of the lineup. All that being said, when other guys can't throw strikes it does make you think twice about him pitching.
Agree 100%. Wilhite has shown in limited time to be a very competent pitcher. A strike thrower... something we could really use right now. However, he's needed very badly in the lineup and on defense. At this point (forget yesterday), Malloy HAS to play 3rd. He's been outstanding... not sure what was in his gatorade yesterday... but I'll assume it was a one-off.

The level of anxiety (among the faithful here) over the pitching "problems" does not seem to match the problems. If I were to point at the biggest concern, I'd say it is the bullpen RIGHT NOW.. but that is relative. This team is 11-5 in the ACC. That is outstanding. If you asked me 3 weeks ago, my biggest concern would have been defense... that has improved in that time. I'm pretty sure the coaching staff is on this too. We're not halfway through the season, yet. I'm willing to give the coaching staff the benefit of the doubt that they are seeing ALL the pitchers everyday and they enter each game/series with THE priority to WIN said game/series. They also want to develop guys to make the team better as they ramp up to more critical games toward the end of the year.

Don't mess with the defensive alignment right now. Take all the time needed to get Roedig and Grissom to 100% (i.e. don't rush them back) for the stretch run.

Deleted member 2897

My word I was just looking through their batting averages again. #1 guy is 0.286. They have 7 guys under 0.250. We have 1.

We need to beat them today like we started yesterday, something like 6-0.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
UVA's backs are really against the wall... the questions are 1) whether they really do have the talent/ability to "break out"; & 2) can they respond in a good way (from their perspective) to the hole they've dug; & ... if yes to those questions; 3) Can Ga Tech match their urgency.

Sports are great for stuff like this. TWO really big games over these next 2 days.