Very curious Mike Sewak

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Whipped like the proverbial "rented mule" Well, not that bad but enough so that the depth chart has those notorious "OR" all over it. Bad enough, that Coach Johnson rather emphatically said he was "tired of looking at it" Pretty bad anyway.

Less interested in listed depth chart and quotes, more interested in personal perceptions.

FatPat

Jolly Good Fellow
I have not watched the game on tv- only live where you get one chance in each play to make an opinion. I saw on many occasions an O lineman standing as the play was on their side and beyond them..
You can't do that as the hard hat/- possibly that is where PJ says. "Put your hand down ". Just hit someone, During all my coaching I have always told the kids, hit someone- even if it's wrong, show some effort!! Put somebody on the ground.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
I know that was a lot of coach speak...but the question about BC using their middle linebacker lined up the way they did bothers me. ND played us that way and blew us up too. For something that we have seen work well against us before he did not seem to concerned. Maybe we really don't have an adjustment and that's why we have not made one.

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow
To be fair, #97 dominates a lot of centers. #2 wasn't too shabby either. I'd love to have both those guys. Other than Clemson, I don't see anybody on the schedule having an equal or better line with the combination of backers that they had. That being said, can our OLine play better? Of course they can, and they are going to have to, to get where we want to go. Same goes for the A backs.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Less interested in listed depth chart and quotes, more interested in personal perceptions.
Well, my personal perception is that if our line doesn't start knocking people off the ball we will see a replay of 2015. I have little confidence that our defense can consistently hold teams to fewer than three or four touchdowns. Simply put, we have to move the football pretty much the whole game. IMHO

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Not many seem to want to go out on a limb here. I personally view our Oline vs their Dline as a draw for the most part. We won some battles and lost some battles. Much better pass pro than I expected heading into the game.

As for other positions. JT willed us to a win at the end. Can play much better I think but he put the team on his back for the W.

Qua was the only AB that really factored in. The rest really disappointed. All around solid game by Qua though.

Both BBs played well and got the yards that were available IMO.

Jeune made some big plays but I had a hard time evaluating blocking from TV view. Stewart made....one catch? Not a lot of throws made from my memory live.

CPJ. I think we should have thrown it more the way BC crashed the box. Line did a pretty I think they had some DBs on islands we didn't make em pay for it.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
Not many seem to want to go out on a limb here. I personally view our Oline vs their Dline as a draw for the most part. We won some battles and lost some battles. Much better pass pro than I expected heading into the game.

As for other positions. JT willed us to a win at the end. Can play much better I think but he put the team on his back for the W.

Qua was the only AB that really factored in. The rest really disappointed. All around solid game by Qua though.

Both BBs played well and got the yards that were available IMO.

Jeune made some big plays but I had a hard time evaluating blocking from TV view. Stewart made....one catch? Not a lot of throws made from my memory live.

CPJ. I think we should have thrown it more the way BC crashed the box. Line did a pretty I think they had some DBs on islands we didn't make em pay for it.
Yeah, he should have thrown it more to keep them on their heels. He may have seen something that we could not. Maybe we weren't getting open. Could have been a reason why Qua had some big receptions. Qua really shined in this game. His blocking was ferocious.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, he should have thrown it more to keep them on their heels. He may have seen something that we could not. Maybe we weren't getting open. Could have been a reason why Qua had some big receptions. Qua really shined in this game. His blocking was ferocious.

I think the pass was there more, as well. However, on a sloppy track in a low-scoring game, I think CPJ took the "less chance for a turnover the better" approach. I really think if DM doesn't fumble on that second half drive, we go in for the score there and we all feel better about the game as a whole. We had begun to click in the running game at that point.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
I think the pass was there more, as well. However, on a sloppy track in a low-scoring game, I think CPJ took the "less chance for a turnover the better" approach. I really think if DM doesn't fumble on that second half drive, we go in for the score there and we all feel better about the game as a whole. We had begun to click in the running game at that point.
Yeah, we had really started to move the ball on that drive. Growing pains for DM. Hopefully, he has learned some lessons over the last week.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
LOL. CPJ tells it like it is, and people complain he's throwing guys under the bus. Sewak spins, and people complain he's delusional.

Personally never complained about cpj throwing anyone under the bus. He needs to do it more regarding his staff imo.

If OL performance over years helps define a coach, then imo sewak should be gone. Paul has said and is now even referencing a year back that the performance and excuses are getting ridiculous. Not the same players either. Only 2 are really. So this tells me....its more than players.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Interesting......so how many do think our Oline got whipped? How many think we lost more than we won? Draw? We won more?

Good question. If just analyzing our OL vs BC DL or D. I think BC won the overall battle for sure. If a D only gives up the rushing yards they did vs us then imo for sure they won....

Now. The question is why did they win? Were they just man to man physically better? Or was it our unit didnt perform (assignments, physicality, whatever else) but man to man we were fine and could have been way better.

So for me. Its the latter. Sure bc is good. But we also could have been way better

Now is the next question. Could we have been way better because mostly the players werent playing well, concentrating and at fault? Or is it because a certain OL Coach has fostered a environment that has not demanded and dictated the level of performance needed, an environment of teaching techniques, but loose with repercussions, and environment of good enough? A systemic environment that has led to many years of subpar performances. That you wonder why navy doesnt have the same eye test problems and they are under talent???

Or is it 50/50?

For me its 30/70. I think the players have to be better, but sewak has a loose, good enough threshold that many coaches are far more demanding (like paul is)....and I think paul has to fix this.