Verbal Commitments - Class of 2017 & 2018

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Zach Maxwell@EastCobbTribe45 19h19 hours ago
More
I'm very honored and thankful to say that I will be continuing my academic and athletic career at Georgia Tech #togetherweswarm
1f41d.png
26be.png

DNlmyPeVwAAUJf5.jpg

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Our 2018 class is looking better; while Perfect Game has us at 24th, that's because we only have 10 players committed.

Looking at average commit, we are 9th. https://www.perfectgame.org/Rankings/Recruiting/Rankings.aspx?g=2018

Of course, the weaknesses are only 3 of 10 are pitchers and they have to make it through the draft. But there are ~275 baseball teams who wish they had our class so far .....

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I bet that we'll get Simmons, but any good LHP in high school will get drafted.

Probably. Any kid getting drafted in the first or second round should go straight to the MLB I think. 24 would be in second round (have Intl and college upperclassmen) but 66th wouldn't be. They can always come back to college after making a lot of money. Injuries are a real potential that can bring down their earning potential.

The only school I remember that seems to consistently keep top 100 pitchers is Vandy.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Good and bad for our 2018 Class ...... good that Luke Bartnicki (LHP) is ranked 24 by Baseball America along with Kendall Simmons (SS) ranked 66th. (y) Bad that we have to make it through the draft for them to come to GT. :unsure:
https://www.baseballamerica.com/dra...-100-mlb-draft-prospects/?utm_source=beesball

Nice article on Luke Bartnicki. I think he gets drafted, we'll see how high:
"Luke has one more high school baseball season to enjoy with his family. After that, he'll either be headed a short 30-minute drive south to Atlanta and Georgia Tech--where he's committed to play college baseball--or to a Rookie-level club after being taken in this year's draft."
https://www.baseballamerica.com/dra...ki-ready-make-big-splash/#6LcKjuTxe5ClsV1i.99

ball4life66

Helluva Engineer
Logan Simmons, Tattnall Square (shortstop):Opponents have been fortunate thus far as Simmons is hitting only .255 with three doubles and a home run. But that’s a mirage. A year ago, Simmons hit nine home runs in 106 at-bats and batted .387 with a .500 on-base percentage while leading Tattnall to the Class A private-school championship series. He was one of only two East hitters to get a hit in the Perfect Game All-Star Game in San Diego. Simmons is exceptionally fast, and his arm strength that makes scouts view him as a third baseman at the professional level. Logan’s brother Blake plays for Georgia Southern. Logan has signed with Georgia Tech.

Luke Bartnicki, Walton (pitcher): A 6-foot-3, 210-pound lefthander, Bartnicki is 3-0 with a 2.07 ERA for the Raiders. He has struck out 38 batters in 20.1 innings. He’s allowed just 13 hits. Bartnicki is also an outstanding swimmer. He placed in the 50-yard and 100-yard freestyle events at the Class AAAAAAA meet this past season. Perfect Game rates Bartnicki as the No. 1 left-handed pitching prospect in the country and the No. 19 high school senior prospect overall. Bartnicki is committed to Georgia Tech.

ball4life66

Helluva Engineer

Luke Bartnicki | LHP | Walton (Marrieta, Ga.) High

Wednesday was a day to forget for the Georgia lefthander, who never seemed to have his best stuff throughout a five-inning stint in which he allowed nine hits and seven runs—five of which were of the earned variety.

Bartnicki started his day with a 1-2-3 first inning against Green Hope (Cary, N.C.) High with a 90-91 mph fastball that clocked 94 on his final pitch of the frame: a strikeout looking on the corner of the zone to his glove side.

Things devolved from there, as the Georgia Tech signee needed 34 pitches to get out of the second inning, when he allowed four singles—three of which were hit with authority. Bartnicki settled into 89-91 mph range with his fastball during the second inning and ticked down to 87-88 from the third inning on. Additionally, Bartnicki’s slider was well-below-average (a 30-grade on the 20-80 scale) Wednesday, lacking the movement or tight spin that it has had in the past.

Bartnicki regularly mixed in an 83-84 mph changeup as well.

Final line: 5 IP, 9 H, 7 R (5 ER), 6 K, 3 BB on 92 pitches (58 strikes)

THWG

Helluva Engineer
@dawgbasher, how do you feel about this upcoming class? I like it and the depth that it builds. I don't think that we'll see Bartnicki make it to campus, but I think that Simmons will make it through the draft and be the starting SS when he gets here. How do you feel about the others though?

dawgbasher

Jolly Good Fellow
@dawgbasher, how do you feel about this upcoming class? I like it and the depth that it builds. I don't think that we'll see Bartnicki make it to campus, but I think that Simmons will make it through the draft and be the starting SS when he gets here. How do you feel about the others though?
I am out of the travel ball loop now so I have no opinion of any worth. Not familiar with any of these guys to be honest. Hoping for a coaching change in the next few years so I can look forward to baseball again.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I am out of the travel ball loop now so I have no opinion of any worth. Not familiar with any of these guys to be honest. Hoping for a coaching change in the next few years so I can look forward to baseball again.
I think Barnicki is still coming to GT. Simmons signed with the pros.