Vegas line for Ole Miss game

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Back to the topic. It is crucial for GT to get first downs to make this game competitive. With Ole Miss's pace of play, they will wipe out our defense quickly due to lack of quality depth if we can't do a decent job of ball control. Disappearing on offense against Western Carolina in the second half was not great but it doesn't make any difference at this point. On Saturday can we run the ball and can Jeff make the short to intermediate passes accurately. If we can, we can stay in this game. If not, I fear a rout.

slugboy

Staff member
Back to the topic. It is crucial for GT to get first downs to make this game competitive. With Ole Miss's pace of play, they will wipe out our defense quickly due to lack of quality depth if we can't do a decent job of ball control. Disappearing on offense against Western Carolina in the second half was not great but it doesn't make any difference at this point. On Saturday can we run the ball and can Jeff make the short to intermediate passes accurately. If we can, we can stay in this game. If not, I fear a rout.
Well, this thread is about the Vegas odds. If you want to talk game strategies and prep, we have this other thread: https://gtswarm.com/threads/ole-miss-gt.25538/

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
1663182832394.png

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Ole Miss lost their DC and OC in the off season, but I’m not touching this line. I have a bad feeling we get drubbed and lose by 20+ based on what I saw from them last year but too many unknowns right now. Not making too much out of this game if we get destroyed at home, UCF is the real watershed game to see what the future of GT football looks like.

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
Not making too much out of this game if we get destroyed at home, UCF is the real watershed game to see what the future of GT football looks like.

I disagree. We cannot continue to rationalize and write off tough games. Collins’ job should be on the line Saturday. (And FWIW, the odds of winning at home against Ole Miss are similar to winning on the road against UCF.)

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Call the second half anything you want including vanilla, it was damn nice to be in a position we could run anything we wanted.
Our last 3 possessions netted 15 of offense. That doesn't tell me could run whatever we wanted well. Yes, thankfully it meant that we were able to burn out the clock because we had such a large lead, even though it was below the betting line spread.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
Our last 3 possessions netted 15 of offense. That doesn't tell me could run whatever we wanted well. Yes, thankfully it meant that we were able to burn out the clock because we had such a large lead, even though it was below the betting line spread.

Burning out the clock at the end of a game is much more important than yards. I am no fan of Collins either, but this game was an improvement. Figuring out how to win is important. Collins has a lot of coaching to learn and time management and closing out a game are things he has been completely inept at so far. This past weekend was a marginal improvement in those areas.

slugboy

Staff member
Burning out the clock at the end of a game is much more important than yards. I am no fan of Collins either, but this game was an improvement. Figuring out how to win is important. Collins has a lot of coaching to learn and time management and closing out a game are things he has been completely inept at so far. This past weekend was a marginal improvement in those areas.
I understand WHY they burned clock, but it’s not what I would have done. We have a lot of kinks to work out on offense, and WCU was the best chance to do that.
For a team that needs to get six wins, you need to get tuned up in your tune up game.
We need our TEs engaged and effective. We need our WRs catching passes downfield—maybe we don’t need to work on 30 yard passes, but 15 or 20 yards will do. The WRs need to get as many reps getting open and catching the ball as possible. Our backs need that, too.
I would have liked one series with a backup QB. Sims went out last year, and it could happen again—you need to see someone else under the lights
I also would have gone more balanced because we weren’t getting first downs. Three runs and a punt isn’t really burning clock.

EDIT: that’s something you plan to do in the week before the game—maybe even earlier. Maybe they planned to do just what I said and canned the idea at halftime.

Last edited:

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Re: offense in 2nd half against W Car.

Looking back at the drive chart it was kind of a weird 2nd half for our offense. They only really had 4 real drives in the 2nd half, 5 if you count the 1 play INT "drive". Compared to 7 possessions in the first half

After the INT the drives looked like this:

- GT starts at their own 39 yard line and runs it all the way down the field for a TD with about 4 minutes left in the 3rd up 35-14.

- GT next gets the ball at their own 25 pass, run, incomplete pass, punt

- GT then intercepts W. Car. and starts drive at their 12 with 9 minutes left in the game. 3 runs for a total of 5 yards and then a missed fg.

- after a failed 4th down conversion GT gets the ball with 2:54 to play and up 18. 3 runs and a punt

I would've liked to see our D stop more of their drives so we could do more in the 2nd half but unfortunately that didn't happen and the offense just didn't see the ball that much. Would've also liked to see fewer 3 and outs against an fcs team. But I don't disagree with how much they ran the ball in the 2nd half. The drive we had for a TD was all rushing

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Re: offense in 2nd half against W Car.

Looking back at the drive chart it was kind of a weird 2nd half for our offense. They only really had 4 real drives in the 2nd half, 5 if you count the 1 play INT "drive". Compared to 7 possessions in the first half

After the INT the drives looked like this:

- GT starts at their own 39 yard line and runs it all the way down the field for a TD with about 4 minutes left in the 3rd up 35-14.

- GT next gets the ball at their own 25 pass, run, incomplete pass, punt

- GT then intercepts W. Car. and starts drive at their 12 with 9 minutes left in the game. 3 runs for a total of 5 yards and then a missed fg.

- after a failed 4th down conversion GT gets the ball with 2:54 to play and up 18. 3 runs and a punt

I would've liked to see our D stop more of their drives so we could do more in the 2nd half but unfortunately that didn't happen and the offense just didn't see the ball that much. Would've also liked to see fewer 3 and outs against an fcs team. But I don't disagree with how much they ran the ball in the 2nd half. The drive we had for a TD was all rushing
That is a rather poor performance against a bad FCS team. Scoring on only 1/5 drives and going 3 and out or throwing a pick the other 4 is quite concerning.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
FWIW uga also only scored once in 5 drives in the 2nd half of their game against Samford. Looks like they're struggling just as much as we are! ;)
I sure hope so, that would either mean we are good on offense or they are not - both are a positive for us.

I do see they pulled Bennett part-way through the 3rd and put in two different backup QBs. Wish we had done the same, particluarly if we weren't going to let Sims keep throwing - we all know he runs just fine, let's work on areas we need to improve.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
FWIW uga also only scored once in 5 drives in the 2nd half of their game against Samford. Looks like they're struggling just as much as we are! ;)
I agree there.... I don't think points are an indicator, especially in that situation. As slugboy said and you also eluded to, we needed to either be running clock or working on improving aspects of our game. It didn't appear we did either. uninspired clock burning plays that yielded few yards and no first downs was a bad look. If burning clock was the intent, we ought to be able to run it against FCS even if everyone for four counties knows what is coming.

Then again, as poorly as we ran it to close the game, maybe we WERE trying to work on some weaknesses!🤷‍♂️

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
They had their backups in in the 3rd quarter and their third stringers in in the 4th quarter. If we had been up 30-0 at the half and we were just trying to get guys some playing time in the second half then im not sure anyone would complain much about offensive issues. Poor Zach and Taisun. Decent chance they don't see the field at all this year.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
That was a comment made by the TV guys multiple times during the broadcast. I'm not going to go through the WCU roster, but you're welcome to as much as you'd like. The announcing team wasn't great, but that seems like an odd thing for them to make up.
You’re an announcer and you don’t want people to turn the game off. Like O’Leary they puffed the numbers as a bunch of their guys aren’t P5 but attended somewhere like USF, Gardner-Webb, etc or a community college, D2 or NAIA school. Can’t blame them for trying but they’re not App St who has 7-8 P5 players.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
A diehard Ole Miss alum I work with, lifelong gambler who is in his 40's, says he's taking the under at 62.5.

Note: Not sure if he's a successful gambler :)
He's not the only one. One thing I've always looked for was when one side was being bet of 90%. When I used to bet regularly, I used to go against that because Vegas always knows.

1663339055122.png