Vegas line for Ole Miss game

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
They threw 3 interceptions. And scored 2TD. What about that says the guy on the other side wasnt having struggles. We only threw 3 times in the whole second half. That makes it hard to compare. But… they threw for. 271 yards. Take away the 49 yd and 22 yd reception. It is 200 yards passing in 4 Quarters. We had 100 yards in 2 quarters basically. So they had the same struggles and are known for passing near air raid numbers.
You can't just take away long completions. The other starting QB was dealing with same weather, and went 18/27 for 233 yards for 2 TD and 2 INT. That is a better game than 8/17 for 100 yards and 0 TD and 1 INT. He averaged 3 more yards per attempt than Sims did on 10 more passes, with much better accuracy. That really shouldn't happen against an FCS team. Sims shouldn't have a worse passer rating against WCU than he had against Clemson. Something was certainly off with him.

slugboy

Staff member
For your degenerate gambler viewing:

Not a rosy forecast (but this is why you play the game—how many picked App State last week?):

Kennethshannon20

Jolly Good Fellow
Then why try to take them out to begin with?
Okay 271 to 100. 4 quarters to 2 OR to be more accurate 35 passes to 17. Which equates to 7.7 average to 6.8 average per attempt. You can break down however you want, per completion, per attempt, per game, etc. the fact remains that they TRIED passing, we didn't, and the numbers are ridiculously close considering that. But you can make what you want of it.

Kennethshannon20

Jolly Good Fellow
You can't just take away long completions. The other starting QB was dealing with same weather, and went 18/27 for 233 yards for 2 TD and 2 INT. That is a better game than 8/17 for 100 yards and 0 TD and 1 INT. He averaged 3 more yards per attempt than Sims did on 10 more passes, with much better accuracy. That really shouldn't happen against an FCS team. Sims shouldn't have a worse passer rating against WCU than he had against Clemson. Something was certainly off with him.
You cant negate the 2 carries, you also can’t negate the fact we didnt try to base our game around passing or that we did what we did in half the time of possession. My point is that this game meant absolutely nothing. All we learned is that our coaches dont know how to run the score up. And while that might be fun to watch, it really means nothing in terms of how good a team will be against better competition.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Spread seems reasonable based on our OL and play to date. My heart wants us to take a big step forward and beat these guys but my brain says it's not likely. But you never know when a team might put it all together. Really hoping it's this Sat at BDS!

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The one calling our offense “vanilla” on purpose is in Lala land. I find that hard to believe that TECH would purposely run a “vanilla” offense just to hide things while barely surviving a FCS team
Huh? Barely surviving? The game was never in question after the first quarter. That team was full of former P5 players. No need to make up crap. Looks like you're the one in lala land.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Huh? Barely surviving? The game was never in question after the first quarter. That team was full of former P5 players. No need to make up crap. Looks like you're the one in lala land.
You are talking about WCU right? Can you give some examples? I just scanned their online roster and didn't see any, but maybe it is not up to date or I just missed them.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
You are talking about WCU right? Can you give some examples? I just scanned their online roster and didn't see any, but maybe it is not up to date or I just missed them.

That was a comment made by the TV guys multiple times during the broadcast. I'm not going to go through the WCU roster, but you're welcome to as much as you'd like. The announcing team wasn't great, but that seems like an odd thing for them to make up.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
That was a comment made by the TV guys multiple times during the broadcast. I'm not going to go through the WCU roster, but you're welcome to as much as you'd like. The announcing team wasn't great, but that seems like an odd thing for them to make up.
Looks pretty made up to me, all their former schools are listed right next to their names so it only takes a couple minutes to scroll through their roster and see. There are a few G5 guys, but none that were P5.

No need to make up crap.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Looks pretty made up to me, all their former schools are listed right next to their names so it only takes a couple minutes to scroll through their roster and see. There are a few G5 guys, but none that were P5.
I see one guy who transferred from Alabama, cornerback C.J. Williams (is he related to our George O'Leary era running back C.J. Williams?) but that's all.

slugboy

Staff member
I see some FBS (G5) players, and mostly high-school recruits. I recognize the names of a lot of the high schools.

FWIW, their OL and DL looked pretty large. I don't think their weight room is like a P5 weight room, but they looked about the same size.

EDIT: Isn’t this thread for “BET THE UNDER!!!”?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
if you watched the game, you heard it yourself. Nothing made up there. But, you continue being you. Regardless, the point remains, the game wasn't in question after the first quarter. But nice diversion.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
if you watched the game, you heard it yourself. Nothing made up there. But, you continue being you. Regardless, the point remains, the game wasn't in question after the first quarter. But nice diversion.
Not a diversion - I mean if you want me to challenge that, I would say after the first quarter of play the game was tied 14-14 and was very much not decided, but I know you don't mean literally at the end of the first quarter which is why I didn't highlight that in my initial post. The P5 players comment was the interesting one, hence why I focused on it, but if you want to put that on the announcers fine. It's not unreasonable to think they would have former P5 players, I was curious who and how many they had, but then didn't see any listed.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

There is not a single former P5 player on the WCU roster. I just checked. It was pretty easy since their roster lists all of the players former schools in the far right column.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
There is not a single former P5 player on the WCU roster. I just checked. It was pretty easy since their roster lists all of the players former schools in the far right column.
One:

Prior to Western Carolina: Transferred to WCU in the summer of 2021 from Alabama

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Not a diversion - I mean if you want me to challenge that, I would say after the first quarter of play the game was tied 14-14 and was very much not decided, but I know you don't mean literally at the end of the first quarter which is why I didn't highlight that in my initial post. The P5 players comment was the interesting one, hence why I focused on it, but if you want to put that on the announcers fine. It's not unreasonable to think they would have former P5 players, I was curious who and how many they had, but then didn't see any listed.
I have no problem confessing that I took the announcers at face value and didn't fact-check them. I'll even add that I may have misinterpreted what they may have said (WCU has a boatload of transfers). It seems you did and they were wrong, I have no issue with recanting that aspect of what I said. I guess it's "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me" situation. The comment about P5 players really wasn't relevant to what I said, and you're right, it was more like the first quarter and a half. After the first two drives, our defense adjusted and they were much less effective, as I anticipated would happen. Based on what I saw, Our offense was never really challenged until they started to try different things to see what they could do. I was never uncomfortable with the outcome of this game, even when they were moving the ball initially. Everything WCU was doing to us looked correctable (and it was).