Va Tech

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just good enough to break your heart....... ?
10-8 with one out B9 and a man on first ...... appreciate the VT error to put English to second ..... chased McDonald who is VT's star reliever.

Update: That's all folks. Go down 10-8. :yuck:

Last edited:

Deleted member 2897

Baseball is the only sport I am not optimistic about right now (football, basketball, volleyball, even softball, golf...).

What’s the energy like in the dugout? Same as usual, or are they flat?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Exceptionally disturbed that we lose a game to VT......and still have the chance to lose again tomorrow!

I am over it. Hall is done for me.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Exceptionally disturbed that we lose a game to VT......and still have the chance to lose again tomorrow!

I am over it. Hall is done for me.

Well, I don't have to change my vote :censored: ;) :rolleyes:

I'm over the loss today. Biggest problem is I ran out of Irish whisky last night. So when I went to the store today, Tullamore D.E.W. was on sale(y) Gotta look for the positives in life.

I would think we are the underdog tomorrow given our pitching situation. But if we score 16, I predict a win. Even 8 would be enough for most teams.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
VT wears those cell phone belt buckles. Maybe they also control where the ball goes when they make contact. They had more "seeing eye" lucky hit than I could count off Thomas. We had our "at'em" ball working on our bats.

VT has had the worst or second to worst ACC hitting the last four years (according to Wiley). They are making up for the past. And their hitting will probably go back to mediocre after today.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Ok...anybody have the scoop on the "Cotton" reference?

I asked Wiley and he said it had to do with an inside joke related to "Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story".

If I had to guess, Cotton is an announcer who has lots of great lines. For those easily offended, don't read this http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0364725/quotes . Here's a non-sexual reference, the rest are really pretty funny.

"
Cotton McKnight: In 23 years of broadcasting I thought I'd seen it all, folks. But it looks like Peter La Fleur has actually blindfolded himself.

Pepper Brooks: He will not be able to see very well, Cotton."

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

@GTNavyNuke ... a reason to follow today?
English gets the start!

A National League lineup... NO DH! Love it!

Hot damn. Rationality prevails. Gotta keep the pitch count low!!!!!!

Dog and I are just on the way out for a hike with a beautiful day here, but I'll be listening.

Other thought. If Wiley is Cotton, is Jim Poole Pepper? (tic)

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Pretty sure ... Ga Tech is 0 for replay so far this year.

Correct calls (non-reversals & reversals) ultimately... but still seems to another thing not quite going our way.

English walked leadoff guy... that guy scored. Damage was minimized after a loading bases with no outs. Included a hit that was borderline error too.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just got back ....... love the smash mouth offense. And sounds of it great D plays by Waddell and McCann and Nick Wilhite.

Great start by English.
Nice relief by Archer.
Now Hughes to make a 10-3 lead look tenuous.

Update, make that 10-6. Aarrgghh. Should have stayed on the trail.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm to the point where the relief pitchers (except Datoc, Carpenter, and Archer) should only go 1 inning. Tell them to give you their best inning and only ask for 3 outs.
Can’t argue with this. Wonder if Carpenter hasn’t fully recovered from his injury. I don’t think he’s pitched for a couple of weeks.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-basebl/recaps/031818aaa.html
Too many nuggets to summarize them all. Take a listen to the Q&A with CDH embedded in this recap article. He discloses more than usual on how some decisions were made entering today's game. Specifically, the lineup tweaks & starting English. ...plus more. Very interesting.
I'm a fan of the lineup tweaks. It gets Murray and Bart more at bats while also putting an extremely good and established hitter in Bailey behind Bart. Other teams are going to have to pitch to Bart now. Then you have a slugger in McCann as the clean up guy and a rbi guy behind him in English. It also goes contact, power, contact, and power for the first 4 guys so you have a chance for what happened today when Murray got on, Bart hit a HR, Bailey got on, and then McCann hit a HR.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Va Tech leads the conference in hit batsman. They may lead the nation. Ga Tech hit them a lot over the weekend. Watching the action, this is no flukey thing. It seemed obvious they are coached to not make any attempt to get out of the way of the pitch. As far as I could tell... every player did this... not just a few.

In at least one case, the batter clearly stuck his elbow out to intentionally be hit. Rightly... he was not awarded 1st. But in every other one I saw, they simply did not move. Legit...but that has to be taught & "practiced"... you would have learned to break the instinct to get out of the way.