Va Tech

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
B4 - better hitting, better "situational" hitting, better base running, better offense overall.

...except for failed safety squeeze earlier in game; BUT (& a big but) Wade Bailey followed with big hit to pick him up.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Going to 6th, advantage in series to VT.

While we are up 8-7, we have to go to Archer in 6th. Curry had 97 pitches (64 strikes). 5 K and a walk. But 8 hits with 2 HRs.

The VT pitcher just got a 1-2-3 5th. His pitch count is "only" 82. He has gone 120+ pitches in two games already this year. So we are burning our relievers early. Not good at all for Sunday.

But Archer got a 1-2-3 inning a good way. Hit, DP and PO. 6 pitches and 4 strikes.

I think we're going to need 12 to win tonight .......

Update: Really good coaching by VT. The VT pitcher gives up a lead off hit. VT starts warming up a reliever. Then the VT coach does a visit to get the reliever ready more if need be. Then we give up an out on bunt (small ball when we are going to need a lot of runs, but that's not the point). So VT intentional walk and change pitcher. Maybe Hall will take notes. .......

Last edited:

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Much needed "get right" win
-Curry gets W giving up 7 runs... sort of evens out after his wasted "quality start" at Clemson
-Bullpen still fresh (not Archer) ...but everyone else. Thank you offense... for that
-Timely hitting led to lots of runs. Lots of extra runs
-Wade Bailey gets my game ball. Great D & 3 for 4 with 3 runs scored.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@GTNavyNuke ... did you happen to hear Hall's pregame interview? He specifically addressed how "good" Winborne was on Tuesday. Said he left him in too long. Said he needs to use Winborne "one time through order" max...pushed him too much on Tues. I thought of you immediately.

I only heard him say he left someone in too long. Hurter came to mind;)

Anyway, need to win the first to get the sweep. Curry was hittable with 8 hits. But 2HRs were wind aided. Hope Thomas is sharp again.

English made some great plays on poor throws. Remember the good old days with Gonzo and Justus? They were elite.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Was at Russ Chandler last night for the first time this season to do my own “eye test”
1) field looked great
2). Like Fred says, “it’s Georgia Tech and it’s Baseball so how can it not be good?”
3). Disappointed in the new video board. After all the hype I expected more. Just the same information as last year in higher resolution. No replay, no pitch speed. Did nothing to move the needle for me.
4). Most importantly, the good guys won. How they won was bit troubling, but I guess that is a good problem to have
5). Technically it was a come from behind victory, which I guess is good.
6). Hopefully just a bad night for X. He didn’t look like he had it. Lots of pitches still to get people out & no “put away” pitch.
7). Pounded the ball!! Scored guys with 2 outs!!! Only 5 LOB!!
8) poor defensively. Botched DP, missed cutofff man, I guess we missed the tag on the OF double play? Did anyone see a replay on that?
9). CDH fraternizing with someone from outside the dugout during the replay. That seemed weird.
10). Archer was able to put up 3 bagels and save our pen!
11). Coombs was bad
12). Good to see the blast from Kel! Gotta admit, he is one of my personal favorites. A bit of a “native son” from this area. Also made a nice putout on the last out of the game, going back for a flyball in right.
13). KMac & Collin Hall we’re about the only two that didn’t look good at the plate. Maybe N Wilhite too.
14). Guldberg at third in the ninth must have been an experiment. Watching him in warmups ...... watxhout down the third base line. Also had a three pitch strikeout in the ninth.
15). Fun watching tristen at 1b. He’s gonna save us a lot of runs on defense.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Was at Russ Chandler last night for the first time this season to do my own “eye test”
1) field looked great
2). Like Fred says, “it’s Georgia Tech and it’s Baseball so how can it not be good?”
3). Disappointed in the new video board. After all the hype I expected more. Just the same information as last year in higher resolution. No replay, no pitch speed. Did nothing to move the needle for me.
4). Most importantly, the good guys won. How they won was bit troubling, but I guess that is a good problem to have
5). Technically it was a come from behind victory, which I guess is good.
6). Hopefully just a bad night for X. He didn’t look like he had it. Lots of pitches still to get people out & no “put away” pitch.
7). Pounded the ball!! Scored guys with 2 outs!!! Only 5 LOB!!
8) poor defensively. Botched DP, missed cutofff man, I guess we missed the tag on the OF double play? Did anyone see a replay on that?
9). CDH fraternizing with someone from outside the dugout during the replay. That seemed weird.
10). Archer was able to put up 3 bagels and save our pen!
11). Coombs was bad
12). Good to see the blast from Kel! Gotta admit, he is one of my personal favorites. A bit of a “native son” from this area. Also made a nice putout on the last out of the game, going back for a flyball in right.
13). KMac & Collin Hall we’re about the only two that didn’t look good at the plate. Maybe N Wilhite too.
14). Guldberg at third in the ninth must have been an experiment. Watching him in warmups ...... watxhout down the third base line. Also had a three pitch strikeout in the ninth.
15). Fun watching tristen at 1b. He’s gonna save us a lot of runs on defense.
Great post. I'm always jealous of you folks close enough to get to home games. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Replay seemed to confirm Wilhite did not apply tag in time. That's a play that has to be made. Even Bailey seemed a little unaware, as he received the throw from Hall, there was a play there. It's possible Wilhite was late to cover & that why Bailey's throw looked slow. A sharper throw would have made it even less close. Regardless... even with the way it went down... the tag could have / should have been made for the out.

I think we got a break on a steal of 2nd by (English?). As he slid in he lost contact with bag & the tag was still on. It's possible ump saw it, but ruled English was pushed off by the VT guy.

Curry did seem a bit off. It is critical he get ahead in counts. The pitch count goes up because there seems to be more foul balls on him late in counts &...maybe worse, he gives up a lot of HRs when it's obvious the fastball is coming. On the plus side, he battles & "usually" limits the damage. It is nice to get wins like that... where the offense picks up the ace on his "off" days.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Ok, I think barring a massive comeback that I am ono the bandwagon to get a new coach. When your two best starters wind up yielding 9 and 7 runs, and you still have to get through Sunday, it is time to say “enough”!

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
My hate fire for all that is Va Tech is roaring. For some reason those stupid multi-colored signal matrices they have that could double as rodeo belt buckles are putting me over the edge.

Every time they stop to look at it... Well... I say things.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Down 10-2 middle 7th. Had a good long run and listened to the game till the wheels came off in the fourth. Oh well, I agree with Hall putting all the pitchers in ...... Thomas (hittable), Lee (erratic), Winborne (ok), Gibson (erratic), Datoc (ok), Ben S (ok).

We had to get a sweep to be competitive. Lose today and we are 3 below 500 in ACC play and still in last place. So Hall had to go all out playing the likely weakest ACC team we will see this year and at home.

I now fully support starting Hurter tomorrow. Need to develop starting pitching for next year.