Va Tech - ACC Play Begins

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
A 14 inning win! We definitely used a lot of pitchers and players but got 2 runs with 2 outs in the 14th to win. Again the bullpen struggled in the 7th, 8th and 9th to give up a 5-1 lead. It was good after that but we need to do better at holding leads. The other big stat is strikeouts. We struck out 23 times. We need to put the ball in play more consistently. But in the end, we swept and started 3-0 in the ACC.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Wow, what a game and what an opening series!! The freshmen pitchers came up absolutely huge. I know that Mcguire gave up the run in the 14th, but he was impressive and pounded the zone. It was also nice to see Dalton Smith, Dawson Brown, and Josiah Siegel pitch effectively. If we can just figure out the closer role, this team could be one of the best in a while. They never give in and keep fighting!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Fabulous walk off win. We proved a lot of pitchers today. Most rose and a few sank.

Unearned win in that VT gave us two runs that let the game go to extra free innings. But we played good fundamental baseball and got the beautiful win.

That two out bunt in b14 to tie was unbelievable. Small ball wins. And Reid had a key walk.

Hope Chandler is ok.

Sweep is A good way to start the season.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree. Kennedy deserved better than that. The misplay on the bunt is not recorded as an error, but it should have ended the game. We caught a break right there.
As Nuke would say, that was the baseball gods making things right for the 3rd Baseman being on the line on the Parada bullet in the 12th (or whenever it was). Also, you can throw in the carom they got off the wall on the play on Borden.

jatchet

Jolly Good Fellow

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Enjoy this everyone….for those of you who like RPI we are now ranked number 1

Took a picture since it won't last. But pretty. And still not very accurate- we moved up 32 spots this week. We are good, but not that good.

1647259079569.png

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This forum is strange at times….Baseball is clearly one of the best programs at the Institute and in the nation, yet the negativity in here is palpable…I can’t imagine what the football forum is like 🤮
There are people on the forum who would, if given a new Maserati, complain that it doesn't handle well on muddy dirt roads. And, you would see that every time they posted.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
There are people on the forum who would, if given a new Maserati, complain that it doesn't handle well on muddy dirt roads. And, you would see that every time they posted.
First of all, just GREAT that we came back and won the nightcap last night.

Hey, I've been sensitive about our pitching for literally YEARS. For the sole reason that I think that is the only stumbling block that has held us back in the post-season and from more trips to Omaha. I plead guilty to that but also feel like it's a legitimate bitc# on my part.

Last night's second game has me a bit befuddled. After the 4 runs in 3 innings meltdown, we then had 4 shutouts innings, followed by the one run 14th, so excellent pitching, from guys who are younger/less often used. So, my question is, why do we keep throwing some of those guys out there who have failed this year (like in the 7th inning last night) ...why don't we stick to the guys who performed better, even if they are younger or their spin rate isn't as high or their speed is slower? (I am assuming this is why we keep trotting out some guys who have less than stellar performances so far.)

I will be the first to say I haven't analyzed this in depth. But, it does make me wonder.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Took a picture since it won't last. But pretty. And still not very accurate- we moved up 32 spots this week. We are good, but not that good.

View attachment 12204

Next week we have two against 8-6 JSU and three against 13-3 WF. Lot of big records coming up after that as well with the ACC performing really well OOC.

As long as we keep winning our share, we should be up near the top of the RPI for awhile.