Va Tech - ACC Play Begins

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Ga Tech begins conference play this weekend as Va Tech comes to town. Va Tech is 10-1. Their lone loss to Wright St (common opponent) on a Fri. They have one win against a quality opponent and that's their most recent 7-2 win over ECU on Tues. Quick scan of stats, they sport highest team BA in the conference right now. They score a lot of runs, steal bases, and hit a lot of HRs... sound familiar?

D1 Baseball picked Va Tech to finish last in the Coastal in their pre-season preview. Keep in mind D1B also picked ND to finish last in its division last year... and ND finished #1 in the conference.

Pretty critical for the Jackets to get off to a good start in the conference with 2 home stands to start ACC schedule against relatively weak opponents. Although, I'd argue we don't really know how weak or strong some of these teams are.

GO JACKETS!!

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
We should look at moving tomorrow's start time up as early as possible. Then play the ice bowl Saturday and Sunday should be chilly but not too bad.

Is a DH on Sunday an option or no due to travel considerations?

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
Here's their projected starting pitching lineup, from what I can tell.

Friday - Green (4.15 ERA, 1.08 WHIP)
Saturday - Okuda (1.88 ERA, 0.84 WHIP)
Sunday - Hackenberg (1.06 ERA, 0.82 WHIP)

Prior to Wright St unloading on Green for 8 hits and 6 runs in the first two innings, he had not given up an earned run. All 3 of these guys tend to give them 5 or 6 innings before going to the bullpen.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Carwile looks to me like the best. I thought Darwin lost his spot with that lousy performance against UGa.

But frankly this GT team is shaping up to be a typical GT team. (Sigh)
Brown had been pretty good though. I have been very impressed by the freshmen pitchers so far. They have looked extremely confident to me and their stuff is already electric.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Ugly win 9-8 walkoff by Anderson. More on the ugly tomorrow on the lay day. But we did what we had to.

Ugly win beats any loss. We HAVE to get better playing basic baseball.

Thank god the VT relief pitching melted down more than ours.
Like my coach used to say, "She's not the prettiest girl at the dance, but she will dance". There are no ugly wins to me. They all count the same.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
I didn’t get to watch but Finateri seemed wild today
I thought the ump was squeezing him pretty hard. There were several pitches that easily could have been called strikes that went for balls. Usually an ump will allow either the high strike or the low strike. This guy wasn't giving Finateri either of them. It seemed like he had to throw it down the middle to get a strike call.