Va Tech - ACC Play Begins

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
I didn’t get to watch any of the game, but great to start conference play with a win! Looks like from the comments it’s the same song and dance, shaky pitching and offense winning the game.

Did huff at least pitch well? Can he pitch 9 innings every game?

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
I didn’t get to watch any of the game, but great to start conference play with a win! Looks like from the comments it’s the same song and dance, shaky pitching and offense winning the game.

Did huff at least pitch well? Can he pitch 9 innings every game?
Huff pitched very well for 5. Just got away from him with a 3 run homer with 2 outs in the 6th. Carwile very good, Finateri got out of a jam after some close pitches that led to walks. Brown couldn't finish off the hitters in the 9th and they strung it together for 3 runs. Very encouraging offensively from Reid with some good at bats.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Walk us off, John Anderson.
swingin-shirt_medium.jpg

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck
While Finateri and brown struggled with some walks, they were not missing their spots by much. Lots of borderline calls that honestly could’ve gone either way. Thought brown had a game ending strikeout looking but it must have JUST missed the edge. Then of course VT went on to take the lead. Not blaming the umpires here just stating that a lot of their pitches were nearly tangential to what i would say the zone should have been, and could have been called either way but were called balls

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Like my coach used to say, "She's not the prettiest girl at the dance, but she will dance". There are no ugly wins to me. They all count the same.

1647095390470.png

Sorry, to me the win was unpleasant in appearance since we had multiple fielding errors, baserunning errors and HBPs.
  • Fielding - one on Chandler which I didn't see but the guy is worth his weight in gold. One on Colin where he let the ball get by him on what appeared to be a bad angle. Took a single/double and made it a triple. Not scored that way of course but I think WIley and Kyle would agree.
  • Baserunning. Parada thrown out on hit to sort LF in B6. Down 4 and no outs, he had walked on. Then Tres gets a hit and KP gets greedy on a play in front of him and thrown out by a mile. We still scored 4 in that inning but without that error, would have had at least 5 and another out to play with. The other baserunning error was Borden in the B6 not going home on Reid double when Ramsey was telling him to go. Got lucky when there was a wild pitch and Borden got home. Borden won a game going through a stop sign, so we've been fortunate there.
  • HBP. Two of them and I think there were others that the umps missed. But I was doing other things and missed some of the dozen (tic) reviews that happened. One not call HBP was from the VT batter leaning in but the umps ended up saying the VT guy wasn't hit. Wiley and Kyle / ACCNX showed that the VT batter not only got hit but leaned in for what would have been strike 3.
  • Home plate umpire. One of the most inconsistent strike zones all day for both teams. And awful reviews but IIWII.
I have gold colored glasses on, but our pitching has real potential with Fr Finateri and Carwile.
  • Huff was really good till the 6th. Still ended up the day with 72% strikes and a 1.0 WHIP and 1.0 WHHIP.
  • Finateri was good in the 7th. Got two outs, then walk, Intentional walk, walk, SO. 8th SO, walk & HBP. Was at 52 pitches after 4 outs. But 5 free passes is too many. Regardless, I think he's going to be a star for us.
  • Carwile - 8 pitches 2 outs. SO and FO. Definitely could have gone longer but Dal Smith was available. Can go on Sunday too. Another Fr bright spot.
  • Dal Smith gave up 3 ER in the ninth to add entertainment value to the game. Rough outing and he's done a lot better earlier this year and end of last. As a So, he has a lot more ceiling we should see.

1647096120040.png

We won, not because we played beautiful baseball but because the VT relieving pitching fell apart and we didn't help them much (except for a 3-0 hit into a DP by Borden in the 8th to destroy an opportunity to get a bigger lead in the 8th.). We had some epics walks for runs by Parada and Reid. My favorite AB was Reid's walk to tie in the 9th. VT was picked to come in last in Coastal becasue of pitching questions. Those questions remain; given the two games on Sunday we just need to get into their bullpen early in game one.

1647097248678.png

So @THWG, if that wasn't ugly, I guess we disagree :) I agree it counts the same as a beautiful win and is better than a beatiful (i.e. well played) loss. We won't always be so fortunate to win playing the way we did IMHO.

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
View attachment 12196

Sorry, to me the win was unpleasant in appearance since we had multiple fielding errors, baserunning errors and HBPs.
  • Fielding - one on Chandler which I didn't see but the guy is worth his weight in gold. One on Colin where he let the ball get by him on what appeared to be a bad angle. Took a single/double and made it a triple. Not scored that way of course but I think WIley and Kyle would agree.
  • Baserunning. Parada thrown out on hit to sort LF in B6. Down 4 and no outs, he had walked on. Then Tres gets a hit and KP gets greedy on a play in front of him and thrown out by a mile. We still scored 4 in that inning but without that error, would have had at least 5 and another out to play with. The other baserunning error was Borden in the B6 not going home on Reid double when Ramsey was telling him to go. Got lucky when there was a wild pitch and Borden got home. Borden won a game going through a stop sign, so we've been fortunate there.
  • HBP. Two of them and I think there were others that the umps missed. But I was doing other things and missed some of the dozen (tic) reviews that happened. One not call HBP was from the VT batter leaning in but the umps ended up saying the VT guy wasn't hit. Wiley and Kyle / ACCNX showed that the VT batter not only got hit but leaned in for what would have been strike 3.
  • Home plate umpire. One of the most inconsistent strike zones all day for both teams. And awful reviews but IIWII.
I have gold colored glasses on, but our pitching has real potential with Fr Finateri and Carwile.
  • Huff was really good till the 6th. Still ended up the day with 72% strikes and a 1.0 WHIP and 1.0 WHHIP.
  • Finateri was good in the 7th. Got two outs, then walk, Intentional walk, walk, SO. 8th SO, walk & HBP. Was at 52 pitches after 4 outs. But 5 free passes is too many. Regardless, I think he's going to be a star for us.
  • Carwile - 8 pitches 2 outs. SO and FO. Definitely could have gone longer but Dal Smith was available. Can go on Sunday too. Another Fr bright spot.
  • Dal Smith gave up 3 ER in the ninth to add entertainment value to the game. Rough outing and he's done a lot better earlier this year and end of last. As a So, he has a lot more ceiling we should see.

View attachment 12197

We won, not because we played beautiful baseball but because the VT relieving pitching fell apart and we didn't help them much (except for a 3-0 hit into a DP by Borden in the 8th to destroy an opportunity to get a bigger lead in the 8th.). We had some epics walks for runs by Parada and Reid. My favorite AB was Reid's walk to tie in the 9th. VT was picked to come in last in Coastal becasue of pitching questions. Those questions remain; given the two games on Sunday we just need to get into their bullpen early in game one.

View attachment 12198

So @THWG, if that wasn't ugly, I guess we disagree :) I agree it counts the same as a beautiful win and is better than a beatiful (i.e. well played) loss. We won't always be so fortunate to win playing the way we did IMHO.
Good thing wins and losses aren’t reflected by any measurable in a category known as pretty or ugly. The post-season selection process is mostly dictated by wins and losses with consideration of strength of schedule and quality of opponents. Fortunately for us, we play in the best conference in college baseball (which is apparent this year with the SEC being so top heavy); therefore, any win is a GOOD win…baseball is played game to game the word “bode” is a superstitious fallacy…just my humble opinion…It‘s early but I think we are as good as advertised.and the most important game of the year is the next one. Go Jackets!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Good thing wins and losses aren’t reflected by any measurable in a category known as pretty or ugly. The post-season selection process is mostly dictated by wins and losses with consideration of strength of schedule and quality of opponents. Fortunately for us, we play in the best conference in college baseball (which is apparent this year with the SEC being so top heavy); therefore, any win is a GOOD win…baseball is played game to game the word “bode” is a superstitious fallacy…just my humble opinion…It‘s early but I think we are as good as advertised.and the most important game of the year is the next one. Go Jackets!

I agree that we play in one of the two best conferences year in and year out. And the ACC has a slightly higher OOC WP than the SEC so far. We are in a great place to play baseball.

The win yesterday was good. But projecting forward from the quality of our play is what bothers me. But I'll shut up and enjoy the cold rain here today. Glad we aren't playing with the ATL weather!

1647099554376.png

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
We need to play better fundamental baseball. You generally won't win in the post-season if you rely on the opponent's bullpen to melt down.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Oh yeah, we hit .363 (12/33) and VT hit .222 (8/36) yesterday.

We gave up 8 BB and 4 HBP (thus WHHIP is very relevant for us) and they gave up 6 BB and 2 HBP.

Not a pitching gem.

But we have lots of quality arms to see who is going to rise to the top. I found it amusing that the VT pitcher WIley and Kyle were talking up with the great fastball and spin over 3000 had trouble throwing strikes yesterday.

1647105330144.png

Back to work.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Oh yeah, we hit .363 (12/33) and VT hit .222 (8/36) yesterday.

We gave up 8 BB and 4 HBP (thus WHHIP is very relevant for us) and they gave up 6 BB and 2 HBP.

Not a pitching gem.

But we have lots of quality arms to see who is going to rise to the top. I found it amusing that the VT pitcher WIley and Kyle were talking up with the great fastball and spin over 3000 had trouble throwing strikes yesterday.

View attachment 12202
Back to work.
You have it backwards. VT gave up 8 BB and 4 HBP and our pitchers gave 6 BB and 2 HBP. We weren't great in those areas but they were much worse. Also, our pitchers only gave up 8 hits while they gave up 12.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 12196

View attachment 12197

View attachment 12198

Ugly is when you play like that and lose! ;)

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Extra (cold) baseball today. 1PM and 45 minutes after first game ends.

Not to be a masochist by making the game go longer in 40s F, but hoping we get deep into the hokie pen in the first game.

Sound fundamental baseball by us today should lead to wins. Ugly baseball ...........