UVA Series

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Awful performance by pitchers, hitters, fielders and Coach. We may duplicate the late season collapse of last year. Gonzo started it off by leaving his jersey at the hotel. Kind of a tip off of how "into the game" the team was.
Seriously, we don't need to get into any tourneys because we have only two established pitchers, and one of them is a closer who we don't need at this stage.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Awful performance by pitchers, hitters, fielders and Coach. We may duplicate the late season collapse of last year. Gonzo started it off by leaving his jersey at the hotel. Kind of a tip off of how "into the game" the team was.

but I am when it comes to beesball..

Seriously, we don't need to get into any tourneys because we have only two established pitchers, and one of them is a closer who we don't need at this stage.

On the other side of the coin, it should/gotta help our younger guys gain experience depending on what our coaching does..?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Appropriate.

The BC series is where we make our last stand for the honor of playing in the tournaments. We have little chance to go deep in either, especially the NCAA. Today we are tied for 10/11 with BC. Will have to win the series to finish ahead of them.

For most of the season I've said that if we had Hughes and King we'd be a top 10 team. I still believe that. But what bothers me is how little depth we have with the remaining 1 active pitchers. I still believe we'll be better next year (let the mocking begin ......).......

But damn.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
For most of the season I've said that if we had Hughes and King we'd be a top 10 team. I still believe that. But what bothers me is how little depth we have with the remaining 1 active pitchers. I still believe we'll be better next year (let the mocking begin ......).......

King was the huge loss in my mind. Hughes loss really hurts in the depth area. He was great against the weak teams he faced, but really struggled vs FSU, so it's hard to predict how he would've fared all season vs ACC play, but I'd like to think he would've gotten better and better and would have been our Saturday starter.

It seems like our top 3 pitchers (outside of Gorst and Gold) have been Dulaney, Gibson, and Parr...but all three struggled as starting pitchers. They've all been really good when in relief. Lee has done decent being thrown into a weekend starter spot. Combs has a 0.90 era in just 8 games, maybe he needs to see the mound a little more?

I take my comment back from earlier about King being the biggest loss...the biggest loss has been Zac Ryan. We really needed him this year and outside of two outings, he has struggled mightily.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
King was the huge loss in my mind. Hughes loss really hurts in the depth area. He was great against the weak teams he faced, but really struggled vs FSU, so it's hard to predict how he would've fared all season vs ACC play, but I'd like to think he would've gotten better and better and would have been our Saturday starter.

It seems like our top 3 pitchers (outside of Gorst and Gold) have been Dulaney, Gibson, and Parr...but all three struggled as starting pitchers. They've all been really good when in relief. Lee has done decent being thrown into a weekend starter spot. Combs has a 0.90 era in just 8 games, maybe he needs to see the mound a little more?

I take my comment back from earlier about King being the biggest loss...the biggest loss has been Zac Ryan. We really needed him this year and outside of two outings, he has struggled mightily.
I believe that Hughes injury was responsible for his FSU performance. I really hope we can have Hughes, English, and Ryan come through as major contributors on next year's pitching staff. I also am having doubts about our pitching Coach. Could he not see the Pitts train wreck coming and at least improved the situation?

And as a fifth year player, this is Cole's worst year. http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?P=cole-pitts

And it's mostly not on Pitts, but on Hall / Howell for not figuring it out sooner.

Should we be getting another pitching coach?
I would take a complete new coaching staff. At the end of year, you're still asking the same questions you asked at the end of the last 8 years and that is when we will get more quality pitching and when will the defense get more reliable. Answer: as long as the status quo is still in place you have your answer (never).

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I believe that Hughes injury was responsible for his FSU performance. I really hope we can have Hughes, English, and Ryan come through as major contributors on next year's pitching staff. I also am having doubts about our pitching Coach. Could he not see the Pitts train wreck coming and at least improved the situation?

Could be right on Hughes, although he did pitch pretty well vs VT the following weekend.

If Hughes, English, and Ryan can come back next year and pitch like they are capable along with improved pitchers such as Gibson, Dulaney, Lee, Parr, Datoc, Carpenter, Gauvreau, and Combs, then our pitching could be really good. This is all based on healthy arms and improvement. As far as incoming freshmen, I think three guys that could help immediately next year are Gooden, Wilson, and Thomas. The other pitchers in the class should get a little bit of mound time, but those three should get a good shot at a lot of time.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
ACC Standings entering today
CigD9jRUYAUHYn5.jpg