UVA Series

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Pray for a rain out! It's the only way we don't lose all three. This series will really mess up our season.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Pray for a rain out! It's the only way we don't lose all three. This series will really mess up our season.

Living up here in Va I can say that the weather disturbance is no where near bad enough for a long period of thunderstorms ..... just going to be a brief break for an hour or two. Parr needs to pitch well and we need relief pitching and run support .... (duh). Dulaney did ok in 2.2 innings of relief yesterday. 0 ER. But only 50% strikes (26/13) which included a walk and HBP. But only one hit. As Hall/Prince say, you can give up hits or walks but not both. He should just get better.

As to this series messing up our season, to me, we already had a messed up season. Here's my list of most satisfying to least satisfying series this year with UVa and BC to go. Note that we only won 3 of 8 series. (3-4-1)

@Clemson 2-1
@UNC 2-1
VT 3-0
Miami 1-2
NCState 1-2
@FSU - 0-3
@Pitt 1-1
Duke 1-2

Little write up on how good Connor Jones was last night most of the way through...... http://www.d1baseball.com/analysis/fridaythoughts05132016/

Last edited:

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
As to this series messing up our season, to me, we already had a messed up season. Here's my list of most satisfying to least satisfying series this year with UVa and BC to go. Note that we only won 3 of 8 series. (3-4-1)

@Clemson 2-1
@UNC 2-1
VT 3-0
Miami 1-2
NCState 1-2
@FSU - 0-3
@Pitt 1-1
Duke 1-2

The two games that are really hurting us right now is the Duke game we lost in 10 innings after being up 10-6 after 5 innings and the other game is the series opener vs Clemson when we were up 7-2 in the bottom of the 7th with 2 outs and a fluke play led to 5 runs that inning from Clemson and lost in 10 innings. Those are two games that would be huge right now; not only bc we would be 2 games over .500, but because it would give those two teams one more loss as they are who we are competing with for a tournament spot.

We have to win 2 games over the next 5 ACC games to even have a chance to make the ACC tourney and that's relying on some losses from the other teams around us. 4 wins and we are in. 3 wins should get us in...should.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I managed to get to the game in C'ville last night. Seriously doubt it was a factor; but Gold seemed to be in control when his first pitch in the bottom of the 4th injured the home plate ump. The ump left and did not return. There was a significant delay (15 min or so) as the replacement got suited up and UVA tagged us for 4 quick runs (all with 2 outs). It was a well-played game. UVA is doing what they seem to do... peaking late. It could have been worse. Gold got out of 2 big jams w/ minimal damage (1 run each) in the 5th and 6th. Still confident (sort of) we can get away with a win today or tomorrow; but need one of those monster (double digit runs) offensive surges we seem to manage once or twice a weekend. We'll see.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Honestly, I thought when the ump was injured, "oh no, this is going to knock Gold out of his rythem and cost us the game". My fear was right on.
If you look closely at the series records this year, we only won one of four series at home. That will kill you every time.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I managed to get to the game in C'ville last night. Seriously doubt it was a factor; but Gold seemed to be in control when his first pitch in the bottom of the 4th injured the home plate ump. The ump left and did not return. There was a significant delay (15 min or so) as the replacement got suited up and UVA tagged us for 4 quick runs (all with 2 outs). It was a well-played game. UVA is doing what they seem to do... peaking late. It could have been worse. Gold got out of 2 big jams w/ minimal damage (1 run each) in the 5th and 6th. Still confident (sort of) we can get away with a win today or tomorrow; but need one of those monster (double digit runs) offensive surges we seem to manage once or twice a weekend. We'll see.

I bought tickets for tomorrow's game to go with a friend whose son pitched for GT 15 years ago. Looks like great weather. I haven't been to a baseball game there but will check out the tailgating before the game. WREK was saying that UVa is averaging 3500 a game this year. I don't know what we are averaging for the whole year but we had about 1900 a game average for Miami and 1200 earlier in the season for Western Carolina. I think being a larger school and not as many sports alternatives close by help UVa a lot. Plus a great program. But cold weather early in the year.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I bought tickets for tomorrow's game to go with a friend whose son pitched for GT 15 years ago. Looks like great weather. I haven't been to a baseball game there but will check out the tailgating before the game. WREK was saying that UVa is averaging 3500 a game this year. I don't know what we are averaging for the whole year but we had about 1900 a game average for Miami and 1200 earlier in the season for Western Carolina. I think being a larger school and not as many sports alternatives close by help UVa a lot. Plus a great program. But cold weather early in the year.

The Clemson Saturday game had at least 6000 there. Both cities (Clemson and Chatlottesville) are college towns with probably not as much to do around there. Hard to get a good crowd at GT.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
It is a shame that GT has such a great facility, including the #1 playing service in America for about the past ten years, and people don't come. It beats the Hell out of a Braves game, but people would rather see that garbage at rip off prices.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Duke beat F$U to win the series.
As we begin play tonight
CicpY4EXIAQPELP.jpg

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Parr walks bases loaded. Then a hit. Down 0-2 with 1 out first. We are getting swept. Let Parr absorb runs for 2 innings, then pitch freshmen rest of the series. Play for next year.

Now 0-3 with one out. Game over with UVa bullpen.

We'll take 2 from BC and sneak in.

Now 0-4. Time for something else.