UVA Series

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Goes without saying, but big series in C'ville this weekend. Would rather not HAVE to sweep BC to end the season....so, winning 2 would be huge to help us get in a good position for the tournament (no play-in, please).

On Friday, it will have been 10 days since UVA played. They are in the middle of finals. Tech's in their 1st week for summer "freedom". Perhaps a 'cold start' for UVA coming right out of finals will benefit us. I'm reaching :)...trying to be optimistic.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
was hoping it would be Pitts all 3 days since he gets this board really pumped up

Maybe Pitts would do better with no rest. Surprised Hall hasn't tried.

We really need the Friday night win with Gold, that's the best shot we have to win. Will depend on the match up as to how hard it is going to be to win a game there. Two of their starters have a 1.35 and 1.95 ERA. The third is all the way down at 3.40. (tic) http://www.d1baseball.com/player-rankings/virginia/

Kind of what our stats would have been with Gold, King and Hughes ........

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Maybe Pitts would do better with no rest. Surprised Hall hasn't tried.

We really need the Friday night win with Gold, that's the best shot we have to win. Will depend on the match up as to how hard it is going to be to win a game there. Two of their starters have a 1.35 and 1.95 ERA. The third is all the way down at 3.40. (tic) http://www.d1baseball.com/player-rankings/virginia/

Kind of what our stats would have been with Gold, King and Hughes ........

Maybe it's time to shake some limbs on the tree...? Can't argue having Gold pitch on Friday. The stats are there. The rest...? Then again, maybe Pitts may have one of those exceptional games ? If not, bullpen time.

No matter what we do or how far things (batting, pitching mostly or fielding) carry us with this team. Hold 'em or Fold 'em

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Injuries killed pitching this season. Too many of our pitchers are not being aggressive enough and trying to finesse too much.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Injuries killed pitching this season. Too many of our pitchers are not being aggressive enough and trying to finesse too much.

Double edged sword, imho. When our young pitchers have challenged hitters, they have (sometimes at least) gotten drilled (see FSU series, Miami series, even Duke series). So I think they have learned they have to pitch, vary speeds and hit the corners to be successful against good hitters. So, they start trying to pick spots and hit corners, and if you miss by just a little, or the ump is having a bad day, or whatever, suddenly you get more walks and more trouble.

I am not sure our frosh pitchers have good enough stuff to get away with challenging good hitting teams (other then the injured ones, of course).

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I promise you that during the Miami series there was enough stuff going on in the dugout giving the pitchers grief for not challenging and giving the team chance.
I.e. don't F up while nibbling because of being afraid.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
We simply have to avoid a sweep in Charlot
I promise you that during the Miami series there was enough stuff going on in the dugout giving the pitchers grief for not challenging and giving the team chance.
I.e. don't F up while nibbling because of being afraid.

That's good to hear, actually. Thanks for sharing!

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Found this interesting. Wasn't aware how good Gibson has been in relief. From RamblinWreck

Georgia Tech’s starter/reliever combo of Brandon Gold and Matthew Gorst have garnered most of the attention on the Yellow Jackets’ pitching staff. But, another ‘G’ has emerged as viable threat to opposing batters, freshman Keyton Gibson.
• Gibson has made 15 appearances this season, five as a starter and 10 as a reliever. Gibson might be best suited as a middle reliever as the rookie has allowed only one earned run in 18.1 innings with a 2-0 record and a microscopic 0.49 ERA. By comparison, he is 1-2 with a 6.75 ERA in 16.0 innings as a starter.

Found this interesting. Wasn't aware how good Gibson has been in relief. From RamblinWreck

Georgia Tech’s starter/reliever combo of Brandon Gold and Matthew Gorst have garnered most of the attention on the Yellow Jackets’ pitching staff. But, another ‘G’ has emerged as viable threat to opposing batters, freshman Keyton Gibson.
• Gibson has made 15 appearances this season, five as a starter and 10 as a reliever. Gibson might be best suited as a middle reliever as the rookie has allowed only one earned run in 18.1 innings with a 2-0 record and a microscopic 0.49 ERA. By comparison, he is 1-2 with a 6.75 ERA in 16.0 innings as a starter.
Good stuff!!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
6 of 7 at D1 Baseball pick UVa to win the series this weekend. Understandable. http://www.d1baseball.com/analysis/predicting-the-weekend/

I guess we win one if we are fortunate.

Looking at the pitching match-ups:
  • Friday Gold has ERA +.21 higher than Connor Jones (picked to go #21 in draft). Slight advantage UVa plus home field. (GT35% win %)
  • Saturday Parr has ERA -1.44 less than Bettinger. Advantage GT less home field. (GT 45% win %)
  • Sunday TBA (Dulaney @5.06 or Gibson @ 3.41) versus Haseley (1.35 ERA). Haseley has better ERA and OBP than Connor Jones and is only a Fr. Figure it will be Dulaney as Gibson used Friday or Saturday. Plus we will be out of pitching depth like against Miami in third game. Large advantage UVa. (GT 10% win %)

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
6 of 7 at D1 Baseball pick UVa to win the series this weekend. Understandable. http://www.d1baseball.com/analysis/predicting-the-weekend/

I guess we win one if we are fortunate.

Looking at the pitching match-ups:
  • Friday Gold has ERA +.21 higher than Connor Jones (picked to go #21 in draft). Slight advantage UVa plus home field. (GT35% win %)
  • Saturday Parr has ERA -1.44 less than Bettinger. Advantage GT less home field. (GT 45% win %)
  • Sunday TBA (Dulaney @5.06 or Gibson @ 3.41) versus Haseley (1.35 ERA). Haseley has better ERA and OBP than Connor Jones and is only a Fr. Figure it will be Dulaney as Gibson used Friday or Saturday. Plus we will be out of pitching depth like against Miami in third game. Large advantage UVa. (GT 10% win %)

AJC had Hall saying that Jake Lee will start Sunday. We need to get out of there with at least a win. If we don't, we may have to sweep BC to get in the play-in games. BC has a starting P that is a top 25 draft prospect.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Jake Lee makes sense to me. He pitched well for 3 innings against Miami then seemed to tire. He was locating the ball low for those first three innings, then began to throw it just a bit higher int he strike zone, which is when they began to bash him. I am guessing that was fatigue....but I definitely see the potential for 4 solid innings form Jake, and then bring in one of the other frosh to relive him.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I am not optimistic about this series. I wish we could win it and host a regional, but it looks out of reach. If we only had Hughes and English in our rotation

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
GT up 2-0 in T3. Kel had a massive at bat in the first going down 1-2 but then fighting about 6 more pitches till he got a top of the wall double to drive in two. Kel will be drafted high; he has gotten so much better at not striking out.

Gold ok. Going to B3 has had 22 pitches and 17 strikes. One double and no walks .......

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yup, we went down 2-4 and I went out to do some yard work. Now T7 it's 2-6 with Dulaney coming in with 2 on and one out. Didn't allow another run though. Good job. Gold finally got hit hard. Oh well, it happens.

We'll need to score at least our average (7) to win tonight.