UVA Postgame

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
I hate to say it, but after watching all 3 phases for 9 games now, it is becoming obvious that our coaches, starting with CPJ, got themselves a little more money and security and used that as an excuse to work not quite as hard in the offseason. This includes recruiting, as well. Just heard the announcers in the Duke/Miami game saying Cutcliffe tells his kicker to kick it high deliberately to try to get kickoffs stopped deep. That is evidence of emphasizing small things. Let's face it. We lucked into Harrison Butker, but otherwise we haven't had decent ST since CPJ got here.
Maybe David Cutcliffe should spend just a few more minutes coaching some of the other finer points.

How you can gripe about recruiting in one breath and in the next say we lucked into Butker makes no damn sense.

Last edited:

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Maybe Cutcliffe should have had his kicker boom it into the endzone, Duke would have won the game.
He should have put the first team LBers and DBs on the field for the kickoff. If it becomes a touchback, they are on the field already for the final play. After resting for that final drive on offense, they should be able to make two final plays. With the speed Miami has, you have to go with your best at the end.

Yella-Britches

Georgia Tech Fan
It was a tough game to watch. That is for sure. Once again, close but no cigar. This one just seemed like so many others at Hooville, inexplicable. There have been a lot of eggs laid in that stadium by GT over the last 20 years.
Gotsis goes down on the FIRST PLAY. Daughter and I were at this one and that was a sign of where we were. House of Horrors!

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
Daughter and I were at this one and that was a sign of where we were. House of Horrors!

Gawd it was awful in that place. The flashing on the big board has probably triggered epileptic fits over the years. And the way GT played made it worse. On the flip side, the 'Hoo faithful in the lot where we were were nice. They gave us bourbon meatball gumbo and and they tried to get us snookered with foo-foo shots to take us out of the game. I think it worked.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
This is simply a very underperforming team. Whether its mental, athletic or execution, we seem to be lost. What is hard is to have watched a lot of these guys last year and see the exact opposite.

It falls on the head coach, and Sewak in particular. You can't sugar coat the failures of the OL anymore.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Why on 3rd and 15, with a minute left in the game, are we going play action with a reverse drop? When the whole world knows we are going to throw, why do we not put our qb is the best position to complete a pass?

With a short qb and a terrible offensive line, would it not make sense to have a shotgun package for these types of situations. This would allow Justin to see the routes develope much better and might even allow him to go through his progression instead of locking in on one receiver. At the same time, would it not make sense to put our lineman in a two point stance instead of having their hand in the ground like they are about to fire off the LOS? Would this not give them a better chance to succeed?

I'm not asking to implement the pistol or anything crazy. These are just small, simple adjustments in our "everybody knows we're passing it" situations.
This is what baffles me.... Quit with the reverse drop BS when the entire country knows what you are fixing to do. You aren't fooling anybody by doing this... you aren't getting tricky... you are setting yourself up for failure before you even snap the damn ball. Getting so tired of CPJ teaching that and ONLY that.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Coach Johnson is right. He and the coaching staff have done a poor job of teaching our young men what it takes to win. I've watched enough ACC football now to know that you can throw every team in the same pot (except Clemson), stir them up, pull one out and there is not an ounce of difference in them. From talent to coaching to experience, they all pretty much look the same. It really comes down to who wants it and who is willing to lay it on the line at crunch time to make it happen. Our team this year, just does not collectively have the want it factor. CPJ probably needs to make an example of a couple of the clowns who are not contributing up to their capability to show the rest of the guys, that this is a serious endeavor. Yes it's nice to have some fun, but winning takes serious commitment and we just don't have it. It's a shame, this group had the potential to be really good, but right now they are a poor football team. Hope we can still salvage a win or two out of the last 3 and use that time to re-establish the commitment it takes to win at this level.

Go Jackets!

GT1992

Jolly Good Fellow
I think it comes down to leadership in the locker room. We don't appear to have it. That's part of coaching too. I think they expected Thomas to step up and take over for Shaq and the senior backs and I don't know he has it.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
pretty sad state of affairs that we have to "pray" for a win over UGA to keep this season from being pure ****

I don't think the players have given up, but makes me wonder what is going through their heads when blocks aren't executed properly, going the wrong way, etc.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I don't know the full cause of that offensive meltdown but we aren't beating anyone if our B-Backs have 26 yards rushing. That is just absurd.

4NatlChmps

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't know the full cause of that offensive meltdown but we aren't beating anyone if our B-Backs have 26 yards rushing. That is just absurd.
Agree to 10th power. Skov is huge liability at that spot. Marshall needs more carries, more bulk. That play has to hit harder, faster and more often.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Marshall has to be able to handle a "love bump" without fumbling. He resolves that, then his playing time increases.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Marshall has to be able to handle a "love bump" without fumbling. He resolves that, then his playing time increases.

Does this same standard apply to our qb? He took a lesser hit and coughed it up. I don't understand the fixation of some people on Marshall fumbling. Was the fumble in the past game bad? Yes. Is it chronic? No. Is he head and shoulders better with the ball in his hands than Skov? Yes, and he's just a freshman on a terrible team. Get him as many reps as possible so he and Justin have great chemistry heading into next year.