UVA Postgame

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Why on 3rd and 15, with a minute left in the game, are we going play action with a reverse drop? When the whole world knows we are going to throw, why do we not put our qb is the best position to complete a pass?

With a short qb and a terrible offensive line, would it not make sense to have a shotgun package for these types of situations. This would allow Justin to see the routes develope much better and might even allow him to go through his progression instead of locking in on one receiver. At the same time, would it not make sense to put our lineman in a two point stance instead of having their hand in the ground like they are about to fire off the LOS? Would this not give them a better chance to succeed?

I'm not asking to implement the pistol or anything crazy. These are just small, simple adjustments in our "everybody knows we're passing it" situations.
If you asked pj this question he would tell you to" draw that play up, and send it to him." You obviously don't understand his offense.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
If you asked pj this question he would tell you to" draw that play up, and send it to him." You obviously don't understand his offense.

I'm going to assume this sarcasm.

On the odd case that it's not, I will just say that what I suggested is not a play. But that is common sense, which is why the assumed sarcasm.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I'm going to assume this sarcasm.

On the odd case that it's not, I will just say that what I suggested is not a play. But that is common sense, which is why the assumed sarcasm.

Two things:
1) I suspect, don't know, that it comes down to everything requires practice. We practice our passing plays as incorporated within our offense, and so with the QB under center. I'm not sure how easily you add in the shot gun under these circumstances.

2) Our experience in 2012 and 2013 suggests that the shotgun doesn't actually increase our completion % dramatically, if at all. So what may seem common sense to you may not in fact be true.

tifwiw

GT1992

Jolly Good Fellow
Two things:
1) I suspect, don't know, that it comes down to everything requires practice. We practice our passing plays as incorporated within our offense, and so with the QB under center. I'm not sure how easily you add in the shot gun under these circumstances.

2) Our experience in 2012 and 2013 suggests that the shotgun doesn't actually increase our completion % dramatically, if at all. So what may seem common sense to you may not in fact be true.

tifwiw

We had taller qb's then and the rush wasn't in his face so quickly. I don't see how it couldn't help to have a couple of seconds seeing the field before there is someone in his face.

JKMSJ

Jolly Good Fellow
Two things:

tifwiw
If CPJ does not want to go to shotgun in obvious passing situations then at least stop the reverse drops. It makes zero sense to drop back like a left handed qb then have to stop and pivot before you can throw the ball. How hard would it be to just practice your 2 minute offense from shotgun instead of under center?

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Two things:

tifwiw

The common sense line was in response to the "draw a play up" comment. I was stating that it was obvious that I wasn't recommending a play in my earlier comment.

1. I agree that this would take practice like anything else. I'm not suggesting that we take away from what we do now, but I know we currently practice two minute drill, end of half/game type situations. I feel like this could be implemented here. Not now, mind you, but in the Spring and leading up to next year is perfectly reasonable IMO. I also don't think there is that much "coaching" that would have to happen here. I never played Oline, but I would imagine if you asked any of those guys if they would rather pass pro out of a 2 point stance vs what they do now, they would say yes. Most if not all have done this in their life as well. The next biggest obstacle is the snap. I'm confident Freddie can figure this out.

2. I also want to emphasize that I'm not calling for a scheme shift. I'm just looking for ways to put our lineman and qb in the best chance to succeed. We obviously struggle with protection and Justin is running for his life most of the time. What we did in 2012/13 is irrelevant to my thought process and from my hazy memory didn't involve our lineman in a 2 point stance. What I'm hoping we would accomplish by doing this would be to give Justin a little more time to see the routes develope/pass rush as well as help our lineman get into their drops a little quicker on obvious passing situations/2 minute drill.

At the least I would like to see us not do play action on 3rd and 15 with a minute left in the game when the whole world knows we are throwing. Why not do a straight drop in that situation? PA makes no sense there IMO.